EPC light + Westgate rattle

Maxoudert

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I recently bought a 2014 Audi A3 1.8T
100 000kms.
EPC light is showing, I had 2 diagnostic from 2 mechanic :
1- Faulty turbo boost sensor needs to be replaced : 400$Au
2nd- "Faulty electronic component in the turbo, we need to replace the whole turbocharger : 4500$Au"!!

So this Thursday I'm bringing the car to the 1st mechanic to have this sensor replaced since the symptoms I've got are the same when Google It : car hesitating at low rpm, then after 100m the EPC light turns on and the car switch to limp mode, restricted performance. But before that i feel that the turbo is perfectly working beside the fact that the car is hesitating on 1st gear. So I'm hoping that replacing the sensor will fix it and clear the error.

I've also noticed a strong rattle noise and after some research on that forum it appears to be the Westgate. There is apparently no fix on the 1.8Tfsi... Is it safe to drive the car like that? I was planning to do a stage 1 once the 1st issue fixed but now I'm not too sure... Apparently this is a common issue and it's OK to drive like that but some people mentionned that it affects the throttle response and acceleration which could be the 2nd cause of the car hesitating in 1st gear but I guess I'll know more once the sensor is replaced.

If anyone had this issue in the past I'd love your feedback

We have a 1.4Tfsi A1 with 150 000kms and it's much more quiet!

I have the same year / engine but thankfully never suffered from the rattle that seemed to afflict a few other cars around that time. I believe that the issue was the wastegate actuator linkage rattling and the solution involved a clip which was fitted over the top of the actuator. I don't recall it being any more than a nuisance though, I don't think it was affecting performance in any way. I seem to remember it was more of a buzz around the 2500rpm mark.

I don't think I'd be trying to drive the car if it's going into limp mode though.

Yes that's what I saw too but I can't find this clip for the 1.8Tfsi engine.
The limp mode is caused by this faulty turbo boost sensor, the mechanic said it was OK to drive until they get the part but the power would be restricted as the turbo is off I think.

I'm hoping that changing the sensor will fix the symptoms I'm having, poor acceleration from 1st gear and hesitating a little bit.

And hopefully that noise won't get worst and won't harm the turbo etc..!

It was the 1.4 that used a circlip.

The 1.8 IIRC needed a different sized wastegate cover and nut. It lessened the noise but didn’t solve it completely. A dealer could tell you if that campaign has been done on your car but most should have been done by now.

Reactions: Maxoudert

The 1.8 IIRC needed a different sized wastegate cover and nut. It lessened the noise but didn’t solve it completely. A dealer could tell you if that campaign has been done on your car but most should have been done by now.
Thank you, I will check with Audi but I don't want them to charge me ridiculous $$ just for a diagnostic even tho the problem is obvious.

I'm more concerned about it getting worse and eventually damaging the turbo or something than the noise?

What would i need to say to audi to get this clip in my 1.8 tsfi to stop the rattle ? Do i phone my local audi dealer ? I feel like i would just be fobbed off if it was something they need to do for free ?

I've got the same issue, mechanic said the "turbocharger shat itself" and apparently its a common issue. I'll take my Audi to the dealer workshop and get them to do it under warranty or maybe take it to Pacortech

I emailed my local audi in glasgow and was told there is no outstanding recalls for my 2014 1.8 tsfi a3 when i asked about a clip for the turbo to reduce the metallic rustling noise that appears at a certain rev point