ESP and ABS Warning Lights

amimmortal

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've done a quick search and can see this is a relatively common problem.

However, in my particular case, I pulled off from my dad's driveway after dropping off my kids, and straight from the off the warning lights came on. They stayed on all the way to the cinema.

At a set of traffic lights I decided to test the ESP and, as I suspected, it wasn't on (wheel-spinned off the lights like a right numpty...)

Upon arrival at the cinema, before I parked up and while my wife was in buying tickets, I turned off the engine and "pumped" the brakes. I then started the car back up and the lights stayed off. They have since stayed off with no further reoccurrence.

I'm a little worried that this might happen again, or that it is a sign of a bigger problem.

I'm loathe to spend money on a diagnostic scan at Audi so I'm hoping someone here can give me an insight...

Thanks in advance!

A.

so they were on even before you moved off from being parked?

both systems are run by the abs pump. but partially separate if you know what i mean.

the abs system can work when the traction light comes on. but 9/10 when the abs light is on the traction light is on too.

both lights on together should rule out the accelaration sensors and steering angle. also the rings on the cv joints will be ok as these only show up as your moving.

you'll need it code reading to pin it down as anyone can guess at what it is.

Turns out it was the brake pedal switch - £33 repaired at Star Performance, Kirkcaldy.

Nice!

A.

I believe I have the same issue, looks like i'll have to try the switch too.

A6 2.5 TDI CVT.

My ESP warning light has been coming on intermittently for a couple of months now, usually when driving at speed. There is a slight judder and the light comes on. The car then continues to drive ok.

If I stop and switch off the ignition and then re start the engine it clears and sometimes it just goes out again while I’m still driving. I’ve just had my car MOT’d and it failed due to the OSF CV joint boot being split. The mechanic recommended that I had the CV joint replaced so I had new CV joint fitted (£120) and since then the ESP light hasn’t come back on.

Reading into the post above, could the ESP light illumination have been connected to the CV joint fault or is it likely to be something else?

If the problem re-occurs I might investigate the brake pedal switch as mentioned above. It may sound a silly question but where exactly is the brake pedal switch?

Regards

TBU

The brake pedal switch is located above the brake pedal itself, you will need to remove the lower part of the dash for easier access.

However I have just changed mine and it didn't fix the problem. But I think my steering is out of alignment and believe that may be the cause.