esp LIGHT HELP - 2002 A6

69COU

Reaction score
Hi i need some help.

Two weeks ago i had my rear brake pads and disks replaced at a local garage at a cost of £160 which seemed reasonable.

A few days later the ESP light came on permently and also the car seemed to lurch just as stopping ( A bit like you had either tapped the accelerater or lifted off brakes completely) so I sent back to garage to see if connected to anything simple when doing brakes. :no:

I ran the VAG com diagonosics myself and got the results further below. Car was sent back to Garage who kept for 4 days with various calls into Audi who
suggested most likely a fault with Air Mass Sensor which hopefully would sort but could not guarantee. Additional £216 cost but has not cured.

Garage suggested that I now take to main dealer who's advanced diagnositics may be able to pin point rather than wasting any more on labour etc.

( Great after just spend just shy of £400.):wtf:

Any suggestions most welcome.

VAG COM codes before it went and had Air Mass sensor changed was as follows.

VAG-COM Version: Release 409.1-US

Chassis Type: 4B - Audi A6 C5
Scan: 01,02,03,08,15,16,17,35,36,37,45,55,56,76

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine
Controller: 8E0 907 401 P
Component: 2.5l/4VTEDC G000AG D09
Coding: 01017
Shop #: WSC 02325
00005059 130 106JC150_1.V79520791287
3 Faults Found:
00741 - Brake Pedal Monitoring
27-00 - Implausible Signal
00575 - Intake Manifold Pressure
08-00 - Control Limit Surpassed
00522 - Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor (G62)
30-10 - Open or Short to B+ - Intermittent
Readiness: N/A

Address 02: Auto Trans
Controller: 01J 927 156 FK
Component: V30 01J 2.5lTDI RdW 3011
Coding: 00001
Shop #: WSC 44552
1 Fault Found:
18265 - Load Signal: Error Message from ECU
P1857 - 35-00 - -

Address 03: ABS Brakes
Controller: 4B0 614 517 G
Component: ABS/ESP front 1728
Coding: 06459
Shop #: WSC 00000
1 Fault Found:
18265 - Load Signal: Error Message from ECU
P1857 - 35-00 - -

Welcome to audi ownership.

Have you cleared the codes and tried to find if they re occure. It could be that the system was fiddled with whilst the ignition was on I'm not sure why ESP would point to A MAF.

30-10 - Open or Short to B+ - Intermittent
Readiness: N/A This seems to be a coomon thread on diags i have done. It means a cable thinks its shorting.

Sorry to be no real help. But all i can think is when the calipers where wound back in the presuure triggered something in the ABS ECU.

Max

Hmmm, the MAF would account for simple things like idling, I doubt very much that it would create lurching.

I notice there's a fault there recorded for the ABS. Seems more likely that the garage has fiddled and knocked a sensor on the wheels somewhere. If the lurching was caused when braking, I would put my money on it being a fault with the brakes. Either they aren't fitted quite right on the rear or a sensor is ******* about a bit.

I recently had my rear brakes changed by an non Audi gararge and had a similar(ish) problem. Soon fterwards the car's abs, esc & esp lights came on with the car going into some "safety mode" with reduced power. I was intermittend and appeared to reset if I switch the car off and restart. I took it to an Audi specialit to run diagnostics that pointed to abs & esp electric units. The technition mentioned that the problem may have occured due to some disconection to wires or leaving the ignition switched on whilst the work was performed. The abs will apparantly cause the esp light to come on as well. He cleared the fault codes (which often resolves the issue) and the problem has not (yet) returned.

Dont know if this helps, but I will recommend resetting the ecu's and give it a go before taking it to Audi

android said:
I recently had my rear brakes changed by an non Audi gararge and had a similar(ish) problem. Soon fterwards the car's abs, esc & esp lights came on with the car going into some "safety mode" with reduced power. I was intermittend and appeared to reset if I switch the car off and restart. I took it to an Audi specialit to run diagnostics that pointed to abs & esp electric units. The technition mentioned that the problem may have occured due to some disconection to wires or leaving the ignition switched on whilst the work was performed. The abs will apparantly cause the esp light to come on as well. He cleared the fault codes (which often resolves the issue) and the problem has not (yet) returned.

Dont know if this helps, but I will recommend resetting the ecu's and give it a go before taking it to Audi

How do i go about this? I have Vag Com on my own laptop but would need a bit of guidance on how to reset and clear codes.

Thanks

I reckon Audi mentioned the MAF as certain sensors/valves when faulty can cause the ESP light to come on. Ive had this numerous times with faulty MAFs or if ive unlugged my maf to test it. However given the fact the brakes were worked on just a few days before hand I would have instantly ruled that out. just too much of a coincidence.

It was ban Air Mass Sensor that was replaced not the MAF Mass Air Flow part that is often failing on these TDI cars.

Anyhow how do i reset the ABS ECU.

Cheers

Air mass sensor and MAF are the same part.

Try clearing the codes and see if they come back. Just click "clear all DTCs" on the scan results page, that will clear them and should turn the ESP light off. If the light comes back on the problem is obviously still there.

It may be an idea to copy/save the codes before you clear them.

I disconnected my MAF to see if it was causing my rough idle (AWT) but when I started the car the ESP light came on & fuel started gushing from under the fuel tank. Re-connected the MAF & everything was back to normal including the rough idle. Is this normal or does it point to specific problem causing the rough idle when warm?