ESP off in ice ?

AGB-S3

Reaction score
ESP off in ice ?

What is the criteria for switching it 'off' ?

During a little excursion over 'ice'y roads' switched it off , using the dash
button ,

Then noticed some time later , it had switched its self 'back on'

Did something happen , to bring it back on , is it on a timer , what is the advantage
of it being off ?

Tnx-G

Had you cycled the ignition? ESP turns back on automatically each time you restart the engine...

ESP is recommended to be switched off in really slippy conditions as it can in fact cut the power that much that its more a hinderance than a help...

ESP is nothing magic though remember... its more designed to prevent lighting up the tyres under certain condition than anything else and no grip is no grip... ESP won't save you if there is simply no grip at all

I coded mine out years ago... was a royal pain in the ar5e...

<tuffty/>

Even when you turn it off it's still doing stuff at a lower level. In my track TT I have coded it out as it gets in the way on track.
Many many years ago I had a Cavalier SRI with ABS and it was positively dangerous in snow and ice it basically didn't brake at all. I pulled the relay for it and killed the system and the car was much better without it in really slippy conditions, Cadence braking was the order of the day.
Modern ABS systems are better and have particular operating modes for snow and ice .

Ah , did it stall once , may be , maneuvering round a oncoming land rover on a road full of ice and holes
.. could that of contributed to the stall , felt odd at the time, but, more pressing thing's where going on out side

I thought it was supposed to remain on or off , so the re start must of re set , can't say noticed any change
but was crawling along , with summer road/track tires ......at least the cars not bent , ran strait on the ice )

Tnx -G

I pulled the relay for it.......... That was part of the Ford rally prep for the xr4x4i pull the ABS fuse ....
not a big issue , id been told it stayed off , but the re-start was the key

G..

I like to switch it off on slippery days for quattro time. :racer:

Anyone actually know, what effect , it has being ON or OFF ?

On my car it turns off traction control.
Can get the car sideways then, but ESP in sport mode is waiting to step in.

ESP in sport mode is waiting to step in........... sport in 2002 8l ?

Detects sideways movement , and has some control over the power, seems to be the general thread ...

off- sliding round a bend , might be more exciting, if previously the car was lending a helping hand in the back ground?

Even when you turn it off it's still doing stuff at a lower level. In my track TT I have coded it out as it gets in the way on track.
Many many years ago I had a Cavalier SRI with ABS and it was positively dangerous in snow and ice it basically didn't brake at all. I pulled the relay for it and killed the system and the car was much better without it in really slippy conditions, Cadence braking was the order of the day.
Modern ABS systems are better and have particular operating modes for snow and ice .

I disagree in these cars it's fully off ESP that is

Anyone actually know, what effect , it has being ON or OFF ?

ESP means Electronic stability program, aka traction control.

ESP ON = Traction control on
ESP OFF = Traction control off

If you like your car to go straight and don't enjoy sideways action then ESP ON. If you fancy having a tear up in an empty field or car park then ESP OFF.

Reactions: hydro s3
aka traction control.<

Can see that... traction control was original , confined to power train,

This looks to of combined , control input , car response as well ? , there is a link to the steering , car track as well , when the lateral acceleration sensor 'failed' when cornering the inner brakes where being applied , until the error flag illuminated and the car handled normally

To the the original Q ... As the diffs are not limited slip and the traction control is disabled off .. what advantage is gained in ice/snow with it off ?