ET dimensions for the Audi RS3 standard 8.0J wheels and/or the optional 8.5J wheel

45bvtc

The Older I Get The Better I Was
Supporter
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
I've prepared 2-drawings which hopefully will explain the 'ET' dimensions for both the standard 8.0J, and the optional 8.5J, Audi RS3 wheels: Drawing #1: the standard Audi RS3 8.0J wheel (8P0601025CP): Drawing #2: the optional Audi RS3 8.5J wheel (8P0601025DB): Hope this helps…

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JonnyG, klauster, Mr_Freeze and 2 others
Thanks John, what a great talent to have, thanks for taking the time to create and share these. By far the friendliest and most helpful forum I've known this.

Reactions: 45bvtc
Thanks John, what a great talent to have, thanks for taking the time to create and share these. By far the friendliest and most helpful forum I've known this.
We all have talents Mark, and I certainly acknowledge yours; and I thank you… :respekt: Thanks also to RYes3 (Tom) for providing the Audi part number of the 8.5J wheel... :thumbsup:

Thanks for all your time looking into this John... I'm off to inspect these alloys tonight....

And here's a diagram that hopefully will explain the "as-fitted/in-service" widths of the: 225/35, 235/35, and 255/30 tyres when fitted to 8.0J and/or 8.5J rims; obviously the data from this chart should be used with the 'ET' charts to determine the extremities (width) of your tyres/wheels assemblies. Please remember to consider the 'ET' dimension of any 'alternative' wheel in the knowledge that the tyre will fit as shown:

CAUTION: the "as-fitted/in-service" widths DO NOT include "kerbing beads"; these may well add some 3/5mm to the OUTside of the tyre, for obvious reasons.

Reactions: JonnyG
the verdict is it will have to wait till a week on Friday as he wasn't available tonight :(

What centre bore do you need to fit the RS3?

Not sure if this helps ,but the spigot size is 57.;)

Centre bore size is 57.1mm, most new Audis are 66.6mm so beware. You can run spiggot rings to fit the newer 66.6mm wheels on our cars but I've never been a great believer in spiggots, even metal ones.

Last edited:

Just ordered a pair of 19x8.5J ET53 5-arm Rotor wheels with 255/30 R 19's for BLUEY; someone's gotta try 'em…
BLUEYontrack_zpsfd323747.jpg
[/URL]And sooooo MANY thank-yous to Macdaddy for this photo!!! :salute: I owe you some! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Reactions: RS3copilot, MBK, Kelza and 2 others
Alloys purchased :) pics will follow when they are fitted this weekend ;)

Reactions: Vito
Ohh john id love too buy these as well ;)

Seriously looked at some VMR 701's last night in anthracite however still think the Sportec's look that little bit better, just have to hope a used set come up as £1900 for four new ones is a bit OTT. Can you still get the bolt caps/covers on with the VMR wheels Nick?

Ill be trying today Graeme
Klauster: this from Audi Driver magazine, November 2011: this car had 19 x 9J rims (ET not stated) with 235s on the rear - and had to 'skim' the plastic around the edge of the rear wheel arch - so no big deal.

GOOD LUCK for today…

Reactions: klauster
Being fitted as I type this and they fit and fill the arches nicely... I'm now praying they don't rub, but initial thoughts are its a goer ;) more updates and photos to follow

Being fitted as I type this and they fit and fill the arches nicely... I'm now praying they don't rub, but initial thoughts are its a goer ;) more updates and photos to follow
GREAT news Nick… Please list again when complete: wheel width, ET, and tyre size front and rear and I'll add the data to the chart for future reference for others. Fingers crossed for you… :yahoo:

Ohh john id love too buy these as well ;)
But you can John! My objective is to have £1 left when I go! :scared2: Making sure I've spent the rest on the way! Anyway, if I don't like them then I'll sell them on and put it down to experience... :readit:

Reactions: Kelza
Ok folks, need a bit of help, I need to buy a different set of locking wheel nuts as the oem Audi ones won't fit, as the key is too wide to fit in the hole to tighten it :( other than that I'm a happy man and some photos will go up tomorrow when she is clean

Anyone know where I might get some, I'm told they do exist

Ok folks, need a bit of help, I need to buy a different set of locking wheel nuts as the oem Audi ones won't fit, as the key is too wide to fit in the hole to tighten it :( other than that I'm a happy man and some photos will go up tomorrow when she is clean

Anyone know where I might get some, I'm told they do exist
Nick, the earlier A3/S3 ones should fit: the OD of the lock-bolt is 21.5mm - same as the RS3 (so the RS3 cap fits), but the 'key' fits inside and not outside. I've just measured the lock-bolt from an old S3 set, available if required.

Audi locking wheel bolts for the Audi RS3 8P cars are:

Audi locking wheel bolts for the older Audi 8L 8N 8Z cars are:

Last edited:
Nick, just pulled a bolt from the RS3 and the thread length is the same @ 23.5mm. As is the 'cone' seat, very important. DO not fit bolts with 'taper' seats, obviously... So the A3/S3 lock-bolts will do for you - email sent showing a suitable set currently on eBay... Regards

Magic! You are a legend!

Reactions: RS3copilot and 45bvtc
Quick and dirty pic, better ones will follow tomorrow:

null_zps54e3a2f2.jpg

Reactions: Kelza, Vito and 45bvtc
For those also thinking about changing alloys/tyres. here are the details of what I have managed to fit without issue.

Alloys are 19'' 8.5J ET52 both front and back. Tyres are Goodyear Asy2 235/35/19

Reactions: JonnyG, 45bvtc and Kelza
How are you finding the Goodyear Asyms 2 compared to the Continentals ?

How are you finding the Goodyear Asyms 2 compared to the Continentals ?

considerably better... Don't suppose you where parked opposite Shell garage yesterday near Leeds city centre? :)

Reactions: JonnyG
Here is a few better photos

null_zps46c2f982.jpg

null_zpsb0fc18f3.jpg

null_zpse3c29103.jpg

null_zpsa63fe2e4.jpg

Reactions: MBK
Drop it 25 mm with h&r srings and it look awesome ;)

Nick, you've got to go find a few sharp dips and check the compression clearance at the rear. For me, I've a left-hand dip/sharp up-hill (at the end of the Blithfield reservoir roadway) that (with 235/35 winter tyres on 8J rims) always 'just' fouls the offside rear inner wheel arch on compression - ever so slightly but it does foul/kiss. Having said that, once I have the 8.5Js with 255/30s on the front then I'll be trying the 8.0Js with 235/35s on the rear... attacking the same Blithfield reservoir dip - just to check the compression clearance of course.

Reactions: Kelza
Love the car, love the garage, but errrm Nick, how do you get out of/into the car? Remembering the fondness for cake....

its abit tight bbut doable drivers side... Garage is snug :(

null_zps8cf83255.jpg

Klauster - you need to go get the geo set up and see if they can get some negative camber on the rear... Looks like positive camber at the mo which should make things interesting when pushing on lol

Nick, you've got to go find a few sharp dips and check the compression clearance at the rear. For me, I've a left-hand dip/sharp up-hill (at the end of the Blithfield reservoir roadway) that (with 235/35 winter tyres on 8J rims) always 'just' fouls the offside rear inner wheel arch on compression - ever so slightly but it does foul/kiss. Having said that, once I have the 8.5Js with 255/30s on the front then I'll be trying the 8.0Js with 235/35s on the rear... attacking the same Blithfield reservoir dip - just to check the compression clearance of course.

John, as intructed I did 150 miles spirited drive to Dolby forest. I can confirm some slight rubbing but nothing major. Just waiting on a new set of locking bolts then 4 wheel alignment and tracking (as it's slightly out)

034 Motorsport rear ARB to be fitted mid month