ET dimensions for the Audi RS3 standard 8.0J wheels and/or the optional 8.5J wheel

John, as intructed I did 150 miles spirited drive to Dolby forest. I can confirm some slight rubbing but nothing major. Just waiting on a new set of locking bolts then 4 wheel alignment and tracking (as it's slightly out)

034 Motorsport rear ARB to be fitted mid month
Yep, that's the same here Nick with my 235 35 (winters) on 8J rims at the rear - just the sound of a soft 'kiss' (how I still remember those youthful moments even now :sly: ) and that's it, no damage or marks on the inner wheel arch covers at all. When I get the 8.5Js (with 255 30s) on the front then I'll mount the 8Js with 235 35s on the rear and go do the Blithfield run; I'll run the bend/corner/dip several times with RS3copilot in different seats just to load and evaluate.

I'm very cautious with the insurance on stuff like this as the Mrs has been in insurance all her working life.

If Audi don't recommend fitting 235's on the rear, which they don't, as its not an option, what would be your position if the tyre fouled the arch and caused a blow out which in turn caused you to wipe out a bus queue of people?

Just saying............

On standard 8x19 rims 235/35's are absolutely fine.

On standard 8x19 rims 235/35's are absolutely fine.

Your missing the point, its not as to whether they are fine or not, its whether Audi recommend it or not. Otherwise they have made a concious decision not to approve 235's on the back for a valid reason. Don't you think they would have specc'd 235's all round if it was safe to do so?
My point is you could run a million miles without no problem, but what if you have a rear blow out that causes serious injury and its found you are running non approved tyre sizes on the rear.................court/Jail??

They are a non approved size, otherwise they would be here:-

Tyre pressures

Reactions: 45bvtc
I don't know the answer to this for sure but wouldn't it be a case of telling your insurer about the change as with any other modification? You're going to have to tell them about the wheel change (and £ value) so you might as well tell them about any tyre size increase too - if it's clearly shown on the schedule I'd have thought you'd be properly covered.

Most of the road legal track machines I see are running bigger wheels and wider tyre combinations (or smaller wheels and wider tyres for some Mini's and kit cars) than standard so there must be a way to get cover. I know there was talk of banning the track day R888 type rubber on road but that hasn't happened yet, I've not seen anything about cars being restricted to OEM tyre widths yet.

To be clear I don't have a definitive answer and I agree that it's better to check with your insurer, and pay a few £ if need be (we've never been charged more for different wheels, they only seem to care about extra power!), than take any risks.

Equally Freeze you are essentially taking it that all that Audi place on their car as the optimum it should be. Their view is the Continental SC 5P's are the best tyre for the car when in fact they are probably one of the worst. Reason, they are on, it is within a budget. Having run 275/30's on the RS4 for 4 years instead of 255/35's and advising my insurer they never batted an eye lid and likewise this time. And in fairness 275's produced better turn in and wet grip with the bonus of extra rim protection and originally 15-20% cheaper.

Audi don't recommend a lot of things, like non OEM panel filters, certain type / grade oil, non OEM brakes / pads beacuse they want a monopoly on what goes on your car. Nothing more, nothing less. As to how that affects insurance, then if the insurance company is happy to insure the modification and you seek that permission prior to fitting it then what's the problem?

BUT Mr-Freeze is quite right: 235s on the rear do not comply with the Type Approval Certificate for this vehicle as listed: e1*2007/46*0615*01. So, even if the insurers said ok, legally it just doesn't. However, when I get the 255/30s for the front, I will try both the 225/35s and the 235/35s on the back, but then revert to the standard 225/35s.

Reactions: Mr_Freeze
From an insurance perspective however it is what they are prepared to cover which is what he was referring to. You are more liekly to have an accident on 225/35 rear tyres over or under inflated than ones on 235/35 and correctly inflated so because the tyre is TAC cxorrect that is OK?

From an insurance perspective however it is what they are prepared to cover which is what he was referring to. You are more liekly to have an accident on 225/35 rear tyres over or under inflated than ones on 235/35 and correctly inflated so because the tyre is TAC cxorrect that is OK?

Your still missing the point. Its nothing to do with restricting use to ensure a monopoly. Yes i get what your saying regarding filters, oli etc. What you don't seem to grasp, don't you think Audi would have prefered to spec 235's all round? It would have be so much easier to have a car with matching rubber at every corner. For them to hold back and only go 225's suggest's they were worried about safety issue's.
Now if you get the tyres insured, all well and good, but even so, if god forbid you killed someone because of using a non-approved tyre for the vehicle then i suggest you will have a lot of explaining to do in the dock.
I may be over cautious, but like i said the wife is in the business and i hear of a lot of scary sh*t going on.

I'm not missing the point at all. You originally asked about it from an insurance perspective because you are cautious about insurers insuring you against such changes and then went on to a safety perspective and the two are in this subject unrelated.

The safety tolerances Audi work to are calculated to be beyond what 95% of owners will ever put their cars to yet they have to put such safeguards together. That's why you have minimum and maximum pressures on the picture and Audi fitted a tyre which in extreme conditions would not rub under maximum suspension compression with the maximum pressure in it under maximum payload. For example like carrying a half ton fridge in the back and then going on Milbrook's Alpine handling circuit.

Likewise with minumum brake disc thickness, pad thickness, torque limiters on gearbox when on s-tronic it can take 650NM. If you are going to cary half a ton of load in your RS3 and go cross country then 225's are probably for you. As an example, many RS4 owners run 275 tyres with 8mm spacers front and 10mm spacers rear with no rubbing. So over standard OEM set up the edge of the rubber is some 13mm (front) to 20mm (rear) closer to the arch edge. Similarly so for the RS3.

So between budget, maximum safety tolerances and monopoly that is what decides what goes on your car. From an insurance perspective, up until a couple of years ago my old man had been in that game for 30+ years so I sympathise with your wifes predicament!

Audi don't approve remapping the cars either ;)

I think they dont like it when its within the warrenty as i never had a problem running stage 2+ revo with 2 years free servicing on the s3 8p3...plus runnng mtms with 235/35/19 all round, audi never said a word ,just wow love your alloys is it mapped !

each to there own, I have informed the insurers and all is covered. If Audi had made the alloys a tiny bit more special, and not stuck the same alloys on almost every car they make, i'd not have changed them, it's a pity they keep doing this to the RS brand, dilute how special the car is by allowing lesser models to wear its shoes :(

Reactions: monkeyboy_marcus, MBK and 45bvtc
And mtm badge the back whats that all about ;)

John any updates on the 255/30/19 up front ? ;)

John any updates on the 255/30/19 up front ? ;)
Not yet John, but the order has been in now for 1-week. I don't intend to chase as it's not really important - I'm just playing really - but will be interested to evaluate the difference.

I'd also like to find out why the European cars were more readily fitted with this 255/30 front and 225/35 rear combination, though I guess the quality of the road surfaces on the continent must have something to do with it - watching the cycling tours (France, Italy, Spain) sometimes has me quite envious!

However, I will post when they arrive - and I'm sure they'll be fitted that same day (leaving the 225s on the rear for the time being - ok just for a couple of days before I run/try the 235s on the rear).

Reactions: Kelza
Nick, the earlier A3/S3 ones should fit: the OD of the lock-bolt is 21.5mm - same as the RS3 (so the RS3 cap fits), but the 'key' fits inside and not outside. I've just measured the lock-bolt from an old S3 set, available if required.

Audi locking wheel bolts for the Audi RS3 8P cars are:

Audi locking wheel bolts for the older Audi 8L 8N 8Z cars are:

Did you get the bolts Nick? If yes, were they OK?

they will do John, not perfect as they stick out slightly more than the other bolts, but they do fit

Just ordered a pair of 19x8.5J ET53 5-arm Rotor wheels with 255/30 R 19's for BLUEY; someone's gotta try 'em…
BLUEYontrack_zpsfd323747.jpg
[/URL]And sooooo MANY thank-yous to Macdaddy for this photo!!! :salute: I owe you some! :thumbsup:

Wheels and tyres arrived today and fitted already - need to run 'em in before comment! However, photos to show: 1) difference in width/pattern, and 2) profile. Have to say that while the side-on look in the wheel arch is smaller, and they are (25mm less in overall circumference so + acceleration and -top speed (OK for me!)), the width-look is 'fuller', obviously.

1)

2)

Will report on handling/turn-in/noise/steering weight, etc., later…

Milltek Cat Bypass pipes will be fitted on Thursday, oops!

Reactions: monkeyboy_marcus and Kelza
Looking forward to the reviews on the 255 up front ...:)

Looking forward to the reviews on the 255 up front ...:)
Well! How gob-smacked am I?

1) 255/30 91Y Continentals on 8.5J rims on the front are quite amazing and not at all what I was expecting; the front-end ride/feel is oh so much improved, as is the turn-in grip. Steering weight unchanged, just as light as before. Note: I have driven several other RS3's and they've all had heavier steering than mine! Don't know why, but I do like mine.

The improved turn-in/bite I expected but not the improvement in ride! Wow! I just don't get that at all, but really am impressed.

Tyre pressures at 41psi and 39psi rear - as spec.

Cost: £1865.40 delivered. Value for money (for me) 100%

2) Milltek Cat By-pass pipes fitted. Ok, but I do not want to get into which is better, Milltek or Scorpion: both are lengths of stainless steel tube with three-pin flanges at one end, period. However, on the road, it feels as though the car has a new set of lungs - or has just gotten over a bad cold - whichever it's one hell of an improvement: a light pedal and she's away - I/we/BLUEY likes it... And the exhaust noise is not excessively loud, just a little more throaty.

Cost: £190 delivered. Value for money (for me) 100%

Cannot fault either mod guys, I really do like both! All original parts have been stored carefully so can be re-fitted. But BLUEY is here with me for a long time and both mods are staying ON the car...

Last edited:
Reactions: MBK
To klauster and Mr_Freeze: post #64 and #63.... It's the keyboard! Thank you and my respects for pointing out the error (that I've now changed), b*t i£'s th$ ke^boar&d tha+ failed m", ho*es%! However, think on when you're at work tomorrow that that senile old 'person' is sat reading the paper in the conservatory with his feet up. :whistle2: Sorry, sorry - I truly didn't mean that, sorry... :yahoo:

Reactions: Mr_Freeze
Hmmm, Post #60, the photo bucket photos are missing (wish we could post from PC hard drive again), so:
Pic #1:

Pic #2:

PIC #3
Oops! And the 'not for road use labels fell off the by-pass pipes, oh dear, oh dear!.

Reactions: MBK and monkeyboy_marcus
If there not for road use ,why did milltek bother making them ?

EU motor vehicle legislation says that thou shalt use a motor vehicle on public roads in the way intended and equipped i.e., with cats and not by-passes: Milltek and others are just covering their - oh dear we're back to that shapely body mass area again, ars*s!

So, with 255/30s on 8.5J's at the front with 235/35's on 8.0J's at the rear, and with 4-up (and the two in the back being of heavier than average weight for their height - and they do know who they are, they are contributors) and BLUEY rode superbly! Much better than the standard set-up!

Ok guys, I cannot tell a lie, but it was Catnip and Vito...

So, with 255/30s on 8.5J's at the front with 235/35's on 8.0J's at the rear, and with 4-up (and the two in the back being of heavier than average weight for their height - and they do know who they are, they are contributors) and BLUEY rode superbly! Much better than the standard set-up!

Hmm...John while I'm happy for you with the result this is going to cost me more money, still sounds like it should be worth it! :yes:

It's the ride! :readit:

It's uncanny Mark, but the ride is so much more compliant, and the passenger (RS3copilot) really does agree!

And if you're passing...

But YOU're NOT bl**dy driving! :no: Been there, seen that!

I had a FULL head of hair pre-Ruthin…

Reactions: Kelza and MBK
John what sort of price are the 8.5j et53 front alloys without tyres?

Had this info provided by Coulsdon Audi today, in response to my questions about optional wheels etc:

"Please see details below.

Currently Factory Fitted Wheels & Tyres:

Part Number: 8P0601025CP – 8JX19H2 ET50 – 5/112 – Colour Code: 8AU/K80 Theses alloys are fitted all round.

Current Front Tyres: 235/35R1991YXL Continental. Current Rear Tyres: 225/35R1988YXL Continental

Retro Fitting Different Size 19 Inch Tyres Would Require The Following:

Both Front Alloys Would need to be changed to Part Number: 8P0601025CM– 8,5JX19H2 ET53 – 5/112 Colour Code: 8AU/K80
This is due to the off set of the alloy, needing to be changed from ET Rating 50 to ET Rating 53.

Front tyres would need to be changed to tyre size: 255/30R1991YXL Continental. Rear tyres would need to be changed to tyre size: 255/35R1991Y Continental

You can keep the existing rear alloys on the rear of the RS3.

There is only one design of alloy listed for this RS3 in 19Inch."

What I'm curious about is the spec of the front and rear tyres both being 255 and being able to keep the existing rear wheels, which I though were going to be incompatible.

Personally I'm unlikely to change the wheels at the moment, with other more pressing financial commitments (he arrived at last John, better late etc!) but thought this might be of interest to those amongst you contributing to this thread...

Congratulations Marcus, that really is good news. Hope all are well!!!

As for Coulsdon Audi's advice then I treat is the same as they first reported with the brake squeal so consider: a)

A 255/35 is not show on the tyre inflation label affixed to the car, as shown:

And b) the 225/35 (Audi original) has a rolling circumference of 1955mm but a 255/35 (Coulsdon recommendation) has a rolling circumference of 2015mm i.e., PLUS 20mm, as shown:

Last edited by a moderator:
Front tyres would need to be changed to tyre size: 255/30R1991YXL Continental. Rear tyres would need to be changed to tyre size: 255/35R1991Y Continental......

That is complete boll*x ... excuse my French :ohmy: . The rears stay as they are at 225/35/19 whatever. Tell them to doublecheck their facts :rtfm:

Well! How gob-smacked am I?

1) 255/30 91Y Continentals on 8.5J rims on the front are quite amazing and not at all what I was expecting; the front-end ride/feel is oh so much improved, as is the turn-in grip. Steering weight unchanged, just as light as before. Note: I have driven several other RS3's and they've all had heavier steering than mine! Don't know why, but I do like mine.

The improved turn-in/bite I expected but not the improvement in ride! Wow! I just don't get that at all, but really am impressed.

Tyre pressures at 41psi and 39psi rear - as spec.

2) Milltek Cat By-pass pipes fitted. Ok, but I do not want to get into which is better, Milltek or Scorpion: both are lengths of stainless steel tube with three-pin flanges at one end, period. However, on the road, it feels as though the car has a new set of lungs - or has just gotten over a bad cold - whichever it's one hell of an improvement: a light pedal and she's away - I/we/BLUEY likes it... And the exhaust noise is not excessively loud, just a little more throaty.

Cost: £190 delivered. Value for money (for me) 100%

Cannot fault either mod guys, I really do like both! All original parts have been stored carefully so can be re-fitted. But BLUEY is here with me for a long time and both mods are staying ON the car...

Does anyone know if any coding of the ABS module is required for the wider 255/30/19 front tyres? My car is with Audi having 4 x new rotors fitted wider at the front with wider tyres and the dealer dont know. They have asked the factory in Germany but they are slow in coming back with a response and I need the car back today.

If coding of the ABS module is required does anyone have the coding with 235/35/19 and 255/30/19 front tyres please?

Thanks in advance.