EVO this month....

Oli.

Reaction score
...has an interesting article on a modded cars including a 400bhp Audi S3....

Read it, its good

Does it make an RS4 feel slow...?

Will get it tomorrow hopefully if I get chance. Usually if they say something is good or bad then it is...

Ha ha, it says 4.3 to 60 and 10.8 to 100, where as they timed the RS4 4.5 and 10.9, which is probably down to the S3's gearing, as the power to weight must tip heavily in favour of the S3.

Not much difference then really considering the output of the S3.

But in answer to your question the RS4 probably does feel slow compared, due to the way the power is put down - na Vs turbo.

Still there is already a thread running on this subject if you didn't know

You for get to mention the ice on the track... hence why the Fwd cars faired so poorly ;)

...has an interesting article on a modded cars including a 400bhp Audi S3....

Read it, its good

You think ? I thought it was poor.
Someone who was involved in the shoot believes that the final copy was more than a little influenced by who buys the most advertising space in the magazine. I'm inclined to agree.
Evo has lost its way - I've been a subscriber for a good few years but its not objective anymore.

Ok then, for those who have read, whats the headlines?

Is the..

S3 still `too clinical`
Focus `too heavy, nice sound, nice chassis`
VXR `too much torque steer but great VFM`
Golf `great allrounder and the one to buy`

The S3 is surely the odd one out here? 4wd and much more expensive?
Suppose it puts a different spin on the usual group test shoot out.

Cheers
Paul

They put the S3 in to see how the FWD cars compare, which as jamiep points out, in the ice, the Golf and Focus fair very well, as usual the VXR is just TORQUE STEER CENTRAL! - Nothing new there.

They seem to indicate that the Focus is the best allrounder, but this is also the car that hasn't had abigger turbo fitted, therefore more driveability and less lag - Aprranetnly th VXr is 'old school' lots of lag fast!

They put the S3 in to see how the FWD cars compare, which as jamiep points out, in the ice, the Golf and Focus fair very well, as usual the VXR is just TORQUE STEER CENTRAL! - Nothing new there.

They seem to indicate that the Focus is the best allrounder, but this is also the car that hasn't had abigger turbo fitted, therefore more driveability and less lag - Aprranetnly th VXr is 'old school' lots of lag fast!

More `interesting` that `useful` then.

I guess it makes sense that the Focus would feel like a better allrounder with a more flexible small turbo set-up.
Pity its so damn ordinary looking. I probably would have bought one if the styling wasnt so frumpy. The previous Gen FOCUS was MUCH better.

cheers
Paul

I'm not a fan of the ST, when compared to other hatches ie. Golf GTI, I think, that it feels nose heavy, and you seem to sit too high in it - I've had a few, on week demos, and they just don't do it for me.

I'm not a fan of the ST, when compared to other hatches ie. Golf GTI, I think, that it feels nose heavy, and you seem to sit too high in it - I've had a few, on week demos, and they just don't do it for me.

Interesting.
I Never drove one but always though it would be good after the reviews I had read. Makes me feel better about not ever buying one.:yes:

It was only considered because it was way cheaper than a Golf as a used buy. I ended raiding the piggy bank and getting the Golf in the end anyway. A car I would certainly go back to if I ever needed to.
Sorry off topic...

cheers
Paul

The S3 is surely the odd one out here? 4wd and much more expensive?
Suppose it puts a different spin on the usual group test shoot out.

The S3 was thrown in to the test to illustrate whther big power needs 4wd in order to control it.
Basically they say yes - it handles all the power more effectively. They also say the Golf is a great steer, but highlight that Regals specific car has had practically everythng done to it (LSD, Cambers, Brakes, bushes etcetc) to help it stop and steer as well as it goes!

Incindentally, the S3 base price maybe the most expensive, but the mod's to get it up to 400bhp were the cheapest so it kind of balances out in the long run.

I am biased as I own the Audi but it annoys me all these reviews say

S3 still `too clinical` or too safe...

Yet everytime its the quickest car round a track, wet or dry....

They seem obsessed with having a car you can make the rear end step out etc etc but what use is that down a country road, you will only end up in a field, hedge or tree.

;-)

I am biased as I own the Audi but it annoys me all these reviews say

S3 still `too clinical` or too safe...

Yet everytime its the quickest car round a track, wet or dry....

They seem obsessed with having a car you can make the rear end step out etc etc but what use is that down a country road, you will only end up in a field, hedge or tree.

;-)

Agree.
Lots of these motoring hacks have higher than average driving skills, have lots track experience, and lots of experience in driving exotica.

And everytime they have sideways excersion somewhere on a track/mountain road its in some one elses car!

Taking that into consideration, then yes, they are probably boring.

But not to most average Joes though, with their daily commute and semi-ham fisted skills......

Not that Im biased in any way.........of course:)

Intersting debate on a few forums relating to this and JonnyC and I were just cahtting about this.

The test was supposed to be a 400bhp shoot out. They were let down with the focus, and had to settle for a different car with just 327bhp.
That won, argubaly because it was getting its power down better than the higher power FWD cars making it more driveable.
Another intersting point to make is that Evo have just received a Focus ST long termer... that they are having 'tweaked'... what are your bets it's the Moregi kt they get installed?
I wonder who scratched who's back on this one?

personally, in that test, I think the Golf should have won it - they have done a very thorough job in making it a capable and driveable FWD car with 400 bhp, and surely that was the objective of the test?