Facelift Excessive smoke at cold start up

jiannu

Reaction score
I have a 2016 S3 with around 28k. Recently I went stage 3 with Eurodyne ecu/tcu and had a ctsboss 600 kit with all supporting mods. Now I am in the mist of tuning but have it at around 80%. Need to get 4 bar and 5 bar sensors to go past 27lbs of boost. I recently noticed alot of smoke at cold start up. This only happens when the car is cold. The fuel trims are great and the smoke is a blue tint and smells like burnt oil. I'm hoping it's the OEM PVC as I do plan to get a catch can.
What do u think it would be????
Check out the video...

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Looks like oil getting past the oil seal on the turbine side of the turbo. I had a very similar issue on a hybrid turbo I had made up for my A4 diesel, and because I had a very free flowing exhaust with very little back pressure oil would find it's way past the oil seal on the turbine side.
Could be excess pressure in the crankcase or restricted oil return from the turbo. Can you loosen the oil filler cap and see if it still happens without covering the engine bay in oil.

Reactions: V6_Man
Looks like oil getting past the oil seal on the turbine side of the turbo. I had a very similar issue on a hybrid turbo I had made up for my A4 diesel, and because I had a very free flowing exhaust with very little back pressure oil would find it's way past the oil seal on the turbine side.
Could be excess pressure in the crankcase or restricted oil return from the turbo. Can you loosen the oil filler cap and see if it still happens without covering the engine bay in oil.
Someone also suggested I remove the oil cap while running to see if the engine idle drops and gets rough which would point in the direction of a bad pvc... the turbo is new and I only had inmt on for less than 2 months...

Have you done anything to the exhaust recently to free it up, remove / change cats ? Did the turbo come with a restrictor to reduce the oil pressure sometimes these are built into a fitting.

Reactions: V6_Man
Have you done anything to the exhaust recently to free it up, remove / change cats ? Did the turbo come with a restrictor to reduce the oil pressure sometimes these are built into a fitting.
Yes! I changed my cat. My cat was plugged and changed it to a vibrant gesi 7530. CAR had so much power after I changed it!! I also had a sweating leak in the main oil line feeding the turbo. Brought it back to the guys who installed it and they fixed it. Shortly after this happens.....

^

I also changed up my diverter valve to gfb dvx the same time the main oil feed line was fixed...

Two things then, have they removed or changed the restrictor in the turbo oil feed resulting in a lot more oil pressure in the CHRA, or has the very free flowing cat you have fitted meant that the return pressure pulse that was coming from the old cat back to the turbo now no longer exists or is very much diminished.

Reactions: jiannu and V6_Man
Two things then, have they removed or changed the restrictor in the turbo oil feed resulting in a lot more oil pressure in the CHRA, or has the very free flowing cat you have fitted meant that the return pressure pulse that was coming from the old cat back to the turbo now no longer exists or is very much diminished.
I'm thinking the latter. Keep in mind that I had a free flow cat, a flow master but I don't think it was working and the car smelled... I replaced it with a better cat.

I will ask the installers...I dont think so they removed it but I did have a small sweaty leak on the main oil line. In regards to the cat, they are both hi flow but the old one seemed to be plugged and non functional.

I received confirmation from CTS that the restrictor is indeed in place. I ordered a catch can and awaiting 4 bar and 5 bar map sensors before I bring it to get all checked....
cbc69e82624808109f771b3a003e296a.jpg

So I tried to take the oil cap off and my friend suggests that lots of air and pressure was coming out and he suggested its valve seals. Tried also with dipstick and nothing. Also seems like the problem is getting worst. Also I can visually see oil on my tail pipes.

Before car would warm up and no smoke. Now its bad!!! Not sure what to do????

If you have pressure in the crankcase when you remove the oil filler cap then it's possibly related to the crankcase breather system or you have sticking / broken rings or somethings that's allowing blow by. A compression test would probably show an issue there.

If you have pressure in the crankcase when you remove the oil filler cap then it's possibly related to the crankcase breather system or you have sticking / broken rings or somethings that's allowing blow by. A compression test would probably show an issue there.
Yes I agree.... the smoke has escalated to smoke all the time now. My friend thinks its valve seals. Going to get it towed and diagnosed.

So I got the word from the mechanic that it is indeed the turbo. Removed the intercooler piping and oil gushed out. Will remove completely from engine to diagnose futher if it was internally as a crack or seal inside the turbine. Already bought a replacement dbv2 V2. CAR is going to get all the piping cleaned including the intercooler. Ince turbo is removed, will strip it and send it off for warranty. Hopefully will be up n running in a few days...cant wait to see the v2 can handle

The other thing to check and clean / replace are any sensors that could also have been contaminated. Not hugely familiar with these engines so I cant say for sure but hopefully your mechanic may know. It was an oil contaminated MAP sensor that was the cause of my old GT4 engine to blow. The sensor worked but was slow to respond when it came on boost. This meant it under read the boost pressure for a short period of time, making it run lean, and the resulting detonation eventually killed my nice rebuilt engine.

The other thing to check and clean / replace are any sensors that could also have been contaminated. Not hugely familiar with these engines so I cant say for sure but hopefully your mechanic may know. It was an oil contaminated MAP sensor that was the cause of my old GT4 engine to blow. The sensor worked but was slow to respond when it came on boost. This meant it under read the boost pressure for a short period of time, making it run lean, and the resulting detonation eventually killed my nice rebuilt engine.
Yes...I might be worried about the 4 bar map sensor on the throttle pipe as it had some oil on it...

That's annoying, but the wait is better than frying the engine again. The MAP sensor is hugely critical to how it runs.

That's annoying, but the wait is better than frying the engine again. The MAP sensor is hugely critical to how it runs.
I will remove all the updated sensors and revert back to OEM and see.