Exhaust Note 2017 S3

S3GURI

Reaction score
Had my S3 since October 2016, its on 3.6k miles, the Exhaust note seems to be more throaty than what it was, though when its in dynamic & sport setup, the pops and crackles don't really happen as often. Is there some sort of trigger point?

I was trying to show a friend the noise it makes (was driving around normally for about 40 minutes from motorway) put it into dynamic and sport... no real difference other than more exhaust noise but no crackles or pops.

Same for if i put it in manual and went down a few gears, there was nothing.. around 30 mph in 2nd gear changing gear around 6k RPM you would normally expect to hear a noise but didn't get anything. Does anyone else experience this?

I got a new facelift s3 in September and that popped and crackcled like mad from the offset. Just taken delivery of a facelift black edition and that hasn't popped or crackeled once in 500 miles. Which is weird!!

Mine's a BE and popped and crackled from the get go, i just keep it about 4k revs and then let off the throttle and it pops away for a couple of seconds.

I have a res delete now and it's insane how loud they are from an otherwise completely stock car.

Reactions: AudiNutta
I've done over 2500 miles in mine and the exhaust is definitely more throaty, even when idling.
I find it needs to be changing down at reasonably high revs to get it to pop & crackle, as mentioned by @christoph7r above around 4k revs.
Wished it did it more at lower revs tbh, without being too boy racer-ish.

I've done over 2500 miles in mine and the exhaust is definitely more throaty, even when idling.
I find it needs to be changing down at reasonably high revs to get it to pop & crackle, as mentioned by @christoph7r above around 4k revs.
Wished it did it more at lower revs tbh, without being too boy racer-ish.

Make sure it's around 90' as well, doesnt pop until it's warmed up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Audi Bairn
They do it more with age. They won't do it until they get some warmth in them (not that you should be trying while it's cold).

You will find that if you sit there at lights getting it to pop for 30 seconds after a period of time it will just stop. Really annoying when you're trying to show somebody! Needs to drive then or wait for it to do it again! I think it's to do with temperature.

They do it more with age. They won't do it until they get some warmth in them (not that you should be trying while it's cold).

You will find that if you sit there at lights getting it to pop for 30 seconds after a period of time it will just stop. Really annoying when you're trying to show somebody! Needs to drive then or wait for it to do it again! I think it's to do with temperature.

I noticed that! Mind you it's a bit intermittent, sometimes i can sit there in N and get it to pop loads, sometimes, its a few revs and then it stops which like you say is annoying! Doesn't sound too good just hitting 4k with no pops, it's a little whiney!

I noticed that! Mind you it's a bit intermittent, sometimes i can sit there in N and get it to pop loads, sometimes, its a few revs and then it stops which like you say is annoying! Doesn't sound too good just hitting 4k with no pops, it's a little whiney!

Mines done 6,000 now and in Dynamic it's nice and loud.. has got a lot louder than when I first took delivery

Reactions: Audi Bairn and AudiNutta

Yep same here, it goes from sounding brilliant and that dreaded rev with no pops make me look foolish then haha. Brilliant cars, very fast but the noise is a let down.

Yep same here, it goes from sounding brilliant and that dreaded rev with no pops make me look foolish then haha. Brilliant cars, very fast but the noise is a let down.

Tbh the car sounds good in my opinion but the res delete apparently helps a lot!

Make sure it's around 90' as well, doesnt pop until it's warmed up!

My commute is 18 miles on mainly fast windy back roads, so gave it a blast tonight.......... purely for scientific purposes of course :yes:

Reactions: Mark_86, BigBill and Tom.H
How did it go?

I know the road really well and all the passing places so gunned it past a bloke kicking the ar*e out of his 3 series Beemer looked down and I was doing 92 along a straight which is a bit of a roller coaster and actually got airborne for a split second as I was pulling back in.
The road has a couple of 90 degree bends too, so good to approach fast and down shift to get the snap crackle and pop from the pipes.
When I stop to open my driveway gates it sounds good heated up, idling and purring away too.

Reactions: BigBill, BarryG79 and christoph7r
I know the road really well and all the passing places so gunned it past a bloke kicking the ar*e out of his 3 series Beemer looked down and I was doing 92 along a straight which is a bit of a roller coaster and actually got airborne for a split second as I was pulling back in.
The road has a couple of 90 degree bends too, so good to approach fast and down shift to get the snap crackle and pop from the pipes.
When I stop to open my driveway gates it sounds good heated up, idling and purring away too.

It's what they're designed for, the back roads! Love it when the cars HOT and the cracks you get are load enough to shock you haha

Mine is at 4100 miles and the exhaust pops and bangs have gone way more pronounced than they used to be. Sometimes even making a spit noise when you let off during a proper run. It also does it from the get go, louder when cold (not being floored ofcourse)

Just gotta make sure you cycle the modes around on every start up, so if you start up and you're in dynamic already, take it out and then select it again (or individual if you've got the dynamic exhaust setting selected)

Mine is at 4100 miles and the exhaust pops and bangs have gone way more pronounced than they used to be. Sometimes even making a spit noise when you let off during a proper run. It also does it from the get go, louder when cold (not being floored ofcourse)

Just gotta make sure you cycle the modes around on every start up, so if you start up and you're in dynamic already, take it out and then select it again (or individual if you've got the dynamic exhaust setting selected)

Never knew that about changing modes, just assumed if it started in dynamic then that was it in full on attack mode

Never knew that about changing modes, just assumed if it started in dynamic then that was it in full on attack mode

Yeah it's quite strange why we have to do that, but definitely noticeable!

From my experience, when you don't cycle the modes on startup you won't get the big DSG bang for a short period of time. Even in dynamic.

Reactions: BarryG79

Iv noticed this it won't pop and crackle you have to cycle the modes. I just leave mine in dynamic

Reactions: TR Hamza and AudiNutta
I had a blast last night and tried switching the mode from dynamic to comfort then back to dynamic and my car was making more noises than I ever heard before from start - finish which is exciting, but annoying if this is what I'm going to have to do every time I set off? I seem to notice that if I'm cruising at 70-80 on motorway for 30 minutes and switch it to dynamic it doesn't make much racket at all??

I had a blast last night and tried switching the mode from dynamic to comfort then back to dynamic and my car was making more noises than I ever heard before from start - finish which is exciting, but annoying if this is what I'm going to have to do every time I set off? I seem to notice that if I'm cruising at 70-80 on motorway for 30 minutes and switch it to dynamic it doesn't make much racket at all??

It won't, that's what is annoying about the valves and why I've got them on a remote. Even in dynamic, the valves stay closed until you exceed 3000rpm.. very irritating.

As it gets older, it will get more cracks and more interesting noises.

Definitely have to switch between modes to get into dynamic correctly, even from individual. I tested again tonight.. Very annoying..

I've also noticed if you want some noise, as you're decelerating, give it a quick squirt of throttle and you almost always get them.

Once I'm finished run in, I'm getting the resonator deleted...

Quick video of the sound... not picked up the noise as nice via the iPhone but gives you an idea

Reactions: Djs3saloon and MikeSel^
I get my manual S3 Facelift to pop and crackle on command. It basically loves to have its hair pulled and shown whos boss ;)

Reactions: Djs3saloon, batch and Ghostneo