Exhaust options S4

Spearo

Reaction score
So I’m after an exhaust for the S4 It’s not about power , just sound !
I’m not really convicted by the audio clips of S4 Milltek systems I’ve heard on you tube etc. Yeah I know that the most of the Audio clips don’t do an exhausts justice - they all sound a bit muted and understated to me.
My option with the milltek would be for unresonated cat back - just to free up some sound, but I’m wondering if really you need the full system with hi flow Cat to make it sound truly good???

The other option is to retain the stock exhaust, but replace the cat and maybe use an x pipe instead of the stock resonator..... but I have a feeling that might be a recipe for drone at motorway speeds.

What other good aggressive sounding exhaust options are there out there?
I can’t find any audio of Remus systems on S4 ? Does anyone have experience of that ?
What else sounds good that people have experience with ....AWE ??
My only caveat is that at motorway speeds I don’t need the car droning away...

any experience much appreciated
Cheers
Ben

I had the cat back non-res milltek on mine and I can safely say it’s not muted.

If you want something mental then definitely change the downpipe out. If you want something that pops and crackles with a lot more volume then the car back will be fine.

My advice would be to start with the non-res cat back and see how you like it and then head for the downpipe. I don’t think you’ll get the sound and volume you want by a downpipe and x pipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't fit an x pipe, I did for about 4 days and had it removed, sounded ****** awful! Have you tired running it with the valves unplugged to see if that's enough noise for you?

Unplugged valves and was hugely dissatisfied..... barely any difference!

So I’m after an exhaust for the S4 It’s not about power , just sound !
I’m not really convicted by the audio clips of S4 Milltek systems I’ve heard on you tube etc. Yeah I know that the most of the Audio clips don’t do an exhausts justice - they all sound a bit muted and understated to me.
My option with the milltek would be for unresonated cat back - just to free up some sound, but I’m wondering if really you need the full system with hi flow Cat to make it sound truly good???

The other option is to retain the stock exhaust, but replace the cat and maybe use an x pipe instead of the stock resonator..... but I have a feeling that might be a recipe for drone at motorway speeds.

What other good aggressive sounding exhaust options are there out there?
I can’t find any audio of Remus systems on S4 ? Does anyone have experience of that ?
What else sounds good that people have experience with ....AWE ??
My only caveat is that at motorway speeds I don’t need the car droning away...

any experience much appreciated
Cheers
Ben

I live near a roundabout residential area , and every night , you hear the souped up cars with their exhausts and baseball cap wearing drivers filling the street with noise and ******* off everyone who lives there... waking up their kids as they try to sleep, making windows rattle (old Victorian sash windows), you hear the high pitch acceleration drone into the distance .. in a freaking 30 limit ! . One regular is an 330i BMW that also just looks like it’s driven from a Trump rally car park. The other pratagonist is an S3 .. what a lovely car just ruined by ‘El Chavo’..

I’m not suggesting you fall into this camp btw - .. i’m curious as to the fixation on more noise , when at speeds, road noise is the dominant sound . At low speed around town etc, noise should be kept low, not encouraged.

Reactions: pyrotenax and Daggerit
I live near a roundabout residential area , and every night , you hear the souped up cars with their exhausts and baseball cap wearing drivers filling the street with noise and ******* off everyone who lives there... waking up their kids as they try to sleep, making windows rattle (old Victorian sash windows), you hear the high pitch acceleration drone into the distance .. in a freaking 30 limit ! . One regular is an 330i BMW that also just looks like it’s driven from a Trump rally car park. The other pratagonist is an S3 .. what a lovely car just ruined by ‘El Chavo’..

I’m not suggesting you fall into this camp btw - .. i’m curious as to the fixation on more noise , when at speeds, road noise is the dominant sound . At low speed around town etc, noise should be kept low, not encouraged.

I don’t know what it is either, but I like being able to hear the sound from a decent engine. Just enjoyment, can’t tell you why I actually get enjoyment from it though! Haha.

I don’t know about other ones, but the Milltek system retains the valves and allows for a more sedate sound that’s probably not a lot more than the standard system when it has its valves open. When the valves are open it’s essentially a straight through system from the cats back and allows for more sound, but even then I wouldn’t say it’s ASBO loud at slow speeds like you’re describing.

That’s mine when I had it, you can hear the significant change in volume at the beginning when I put it in dynamic mode and the valves open. Thought the Milltek was a really good balance for a daily driver and motorway car.

@Nham68 trust me - the S4 has been spoiled by its overly quiet exhaust. Coming from a Milltek equipped Subaru I don’t think I’m ready for a virtually silent car yet - I’ll save that for when I’m forced into an EV !

I too live in an urban area surrounded by some decent roads with a bunch of neighbours that have way more £££ than me ! Lamborghini Aventador svj and Range Rover svr and Porsche gt3 abound ..... nobody would even notice my s4 even if I removed the exhaust completely!!! ( not that being noticed is the point)

Having some exhaust noise adds to the sporty feel , makes the driving experience more engaging and allows me to to drive better ......

I suggest you get some Scandinavian triple glazing and some nose cancelling ear plugs if it’s really getting to you !

Reactions: Daggerit
So what we’ve established so far is that nobody on here really has had any experience of systems other than Milltek and the ECS xpipe (I assume that’s what Motty225 had).

There is a bit of me that’s tempted to see what a local custom exhaust place can fab up for me - larger pipe work would potentially interest me because there is little else that can be done above and beyond going non resonated -but then I suspect modification of the stock cat/downpipe could be a challenge , plus there is the complete uncertainty of sound and efficiency with a bespoke item !

So what we’ve established so far is that nobody on here really has had any experience of systems other than Milltek and the ECS xpipe (I assume that’s what Motty225 had).

There is a bit of me that’s tempted to see what a local custom exhaust place can fab up for me - larger pipe work would potentially interest me because there is little else that can be done above and beyond going non resonated -but then I suspect modification of the stock cat/downpipe could be a challenge , plus there is the complete uncertainty of sound and efficiency with a bespoke item !

Unless it’s something very minor I wouldn’t go bespoke to be honest. Having spoken to a good few folk they have often said the drone can become pretty bad once the front resonators are removed.

As for bigger pipes, the likes of the Milltek uses 2.5” for both pipes all the way back and I think you’d struggle with anything bigger to be honest.

What I would recommend is to go with the Milltek and if you don’t think it’s loud enough you could have the secondary cat removed from the downpipe which I image would make it louder and with more pops.