Facelift Exhaust rattle after fitting downpipe

billymc92

Kyalami Green Vorsprung- Sportback
Reaction score
Wonder if anyone could help me. Since fitting my Milltek downpipe it seems I get a rattle when I accelerate. And stops when I let off the accelerator. At first I thought it was something loose. Heatsheild or bolt ect but had it on ramp and can’t see anything. And it actually sounds like it’s coming from inside the exhaust. (Best way to describe it is lots of wee stones belting through it)

Here’s the interesting part. I don’t have the cold start rattle anymore. It actually sounds the exact same noise but like I say, it’s not on cold start, it’s when I accelerate.

I’ve got a few videos here,

Any help would be greatly Appreciated. It still does it in sport unlike the cold start rattle noise would stop.

Wonder if anyone could help me. Since fitting my Milltek downpipe it seems I get a rattle when I accelerate. And stops when I let off the accelerator. At first I thought it was something loose. Heatsheild or bolt ect but had it on ramp and can’t see anything. And it actually sounds like it’s coming from inside the exhaust. (Best way to describe it is lots of wee stones belting through it)

Here’s the interesting part. I don’t have the cold start rattle anymore. It actually sounds the exact same noise but like I say, it’s not on cold start, it’s when I accelerate.

I’ve got a few videos here,

Any help would be greatly Appreciated. It still does it in sport unlike the cold start rattle noise would stop.

Is it not time to replace with full miltek exhaust?

Is it not time to replace with full miltek exhaust?

well that was my plan before. but now its so loud and I don't really want it any louder lol. plus they have still not released the back box yet. if I cant get a solution I guess that will be the only way to go

Wow sounds awful. What have Audi done to you FL owners :-/

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

ohh wait a minute, they have updated there website saying they will be ready for March

Reactions: Dodgygtr
ohh wait a minute, they have updated there website saying they will be ready for March
Could always give them a ring to see how much louder it is? Think I’m going full exhaust just not sure which make yet but I think they are the only ones so far, for the saloon anyway.

Cold start is to warm the cat up for emissions purposes. As you don’t have a cat in there anymore, MRC map it out. They actually map it out even if you do still have the cat in place.

No idea about the rattle though. Is it coming from the front or the rear of the car?

Someone said it could be the rear silencers breaking up/disintegrating due to the heat as there is now no cats. Little particles could be vibrating about inside the silencers now? Could this be a chance?

Oh that’s bad!!

Sounds exactly like the cold start rattle, only just permanent.
I doubt Audi will pay out with the decat :/

Reactions: billymc92
Oh that’s bad!!

Sounds exactly like the cold start rattle, only just permanent.
I doubt Audi will pay out with the decat :/
Exactly lol. People on the other form are saying it’s pinking and happens at around 2k revs. No idea what that is but it’s definitely not normal and needs sorted. Sounds hideous

If you check out some of the Youtube guys who have fitted down pipe's to their FL car ('Mod-It' being one for example), some of them have removed it after a week or so of running it. Can't remember exactly why but maybe due to a similar reason? Also, I remember reading something about the quality of Milltek dp's in one of Aoon's PFL car threads recently (the general fitment and possibly brackets fouling bodywork making a noise). May be worth a look?

The problem @billymc92 is you have screwed your warranty now.

I get that you want to make your car better but it’s already very fast and loud and so personally I don’t get the appeal of risking these changes; as now you have to burden the cost of fixing this issue and you don’t know what the problem is and I don’t need to tell you that could be very expensive.

The problem @billymc92 is you have screwed your warranty now.

I get that you want to make your car better but it’s already very fast and loud and so personally I don’t get the appeal of risking these changes; as now you have to burden the cost of fixing this issue and you don’t know what the problem is and I don’t need to tell you that could be very expensive.

But now I have a fun car

Reactions: Csllover, NevMan, AudiNutta and 1 other person
well that was my plan before. but now its so loud and I don't really want it any louder lol. plus they have still not released the back box yet. if I cant get a solution I guess that will be the only way to go

Yes they have released it, i got prices and maybe order for my friends car with stock exhaust :D

Did you get to the bottom of this rattle at all?

I've got a totally stock exhaust system but have noticed a light rattle on acceleration too. At first I thought it might be from the engine area but now I wonder if it's a similar issue to this.

It's a faint rattle but enough that I can hear it on acceleration (even if no one else seems to be able to!)

Did you get to the bottom of this rattle at all?

I've got a totally stock exhaust system but have noticed a light rattle on acceleration too. At first I thought it might be from the engine area but now I wonder if it's a similar issue to this.

It's a faint rattle but enough that I can hear it on acceleration (even if no one else seems to be able to!)

Wastegate rattle ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Evening! Yep, I think it could well be the dreaded wastegate rattle appearing...

I altered mine being at stage 2 to be closed at lower RPM (2k) which is where it was noticeable.
If your standard then I’m afraid it’s something you’ll have to put up with.

Reactions: Jsimba
I altered mine being at stage 2 to be closed at lower RPM (2k) which is where it was noticeable.
If your standard then I’m afraid it’s something you’ll have to put up with.

Ah shucks, I had a feeling you might say that..! Ill have to take a look back through the old threads on this to see of there's at least a way of minimising the noise

Ah shucks, I had a feeling you might say that..! Ill have to take a look back through the old threads on this to see of there's at least a way of minimising the noise

You can have it patched out but it will still involve a remap even at stock level.