Exhaust sound of the 8Y S3 when revved at a standstill

Jassyo06

T-Cut King !
Reaction score
Curious to know what the 8Y S3 sounds like when revved at a standstill....Why may you ask?? well my son has gone back to Audi after 5 years with BMW and as a make shift/temp car they have given him a new TT 240ps S-Tronic sport edition and when revved at a standstill it sounded very good... snapped and crackled very similar to the new VAG G8R l was very surprised l expected it to be very muted

Curious to know what the 8Y S3 sounds like when revved at a standstill....Why may you ask?? well my son has gone back to Audi after 5 years with BMW and as a make shift/temp car they have given him a new TT 240ps S-Tronic sport edition and when revved at a standstill it sounded very good... snapped and crackled very similar to the new VAG G8R l was very surprised l expected it to be very muted
Not great in D, does crackle a bit in S but it’s not that loud. Haven’t really had anywhere to give it A proper go yet as I dont want to do it in front of my house, or in a supermarket car park, and there literally the only places I go at the minute, **** Covid lol.

The one I drove was pretty lackluster truth be told. I think there's some revving clips in the video I did with the exhaust valves.

Tbh once the res delete is fitted it sounds better.

Reactions: Jassyo06
I heard one being started up and revd at the dealership a few weeks ago, our dyson sounded better.

I heard one being started up and revd at the dealership a few weeks ago, our dyson sounded better.
Strange as that MY21 240 ps ea888 TT sounded surprisingly good

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

must admit very disappointed with sound of S3, I'm not one for loads of popping and banging on overrun but my TT Quattro sounded much better, just deeper and raspy although it was pre gpf filter, it definitely takes away some of the feel when you want a little blast and the sound is just flat.

Strange as that MY21 240 ps ea888 TT sounded surprisingly good

Could be a number of reasons I suppose, but the current S3 does not sound good at all.

I think it’s pretty much the same across the board. My pre-fl RS3 sounded absolutely incredible ... at a stand still, going up & down the gears. But the 45s sounds absolutely rubbish at idle or revved. Above 4,000 rpm it does make a decent sound and pops & bangs up & down the gears but still nothing compared to the RS3.

I think it’s pretty much the same across the board. My pre-fl RS3 sounded absolutely incredible ... at a stand still, going up & down the gears. But the 45s sounds absolutely rubbish at idle or revved. Above 4,000 rpm it does make a decent sound and pops & bangs up & down the gears but still nothing compared to the RS3.
The TT Jordan has sounds good mate as does the Golf 8 R

Reactions: Snake Pliskin

My A35 didn't sound great at idle either, you really had to be on the move to get any half decent sound out of it.

The TCR has a really nice deep burble at tick over, and it will pop and bang when stationary when it's warmed up.

PFL RS3 engine and exhaust sound is legendary and we can all thank the EU bureaucratic Molly cuddling merchant bankers for its demise same goes with all German performance cars......not much to like about society nowadays

The TT Jordan has sounds good mate as does the Golf 8 R

hopefully your TTS will make a good sound ... yeah the new golf R sounds decent in the videos do not sure how VW have managed that but good on them

Reactions: Jassyo06
My A35 didn't sound great at idle either, you really had to be on the move to get any half decent sound out of it.

The TCR has a really nice deep burble at tick over, and it will pop and bang when stationary when it's warmed up.

thrash the nuts I think is the term with the mercs to get any kind of decent sound :)

yeah I think the tcr got in there just about the right time to get a decent soundtrack

Reactions: Chris4410 and Jassyo06
hopefully your TTS will make a good sound ... yeah the new golf R sounds decent in the videos do not sure how VW have managed that but good on them
Not fussed if it doesn't mate as ill being going down the road of a custom exhaust or similar

• Love
Not fussed if it doesn't mate as ill being going down the road of a custom exhaust or similar

Does replacing the axle back really improve the sound that much? I understood that the OPF needed removing and therefore a remap applied. Not sure I would want to do that on a brand new car.

Not great and certainly not as good as the 8V - Petrol Filter has ruined it - In the cabin you get the piped in sound but from outside not until you are driving do you get much sound out of it - Might get better once run in a bit but I doubt it

Not great and certainly not as good as the 8V - Petrol Filter has ruined it - In the cabin you get the piped in sound but from outside not until you are driving do you get much sound out of it - Might get better once run in a bit but I doubt it
Mine sounds better now than it did, I’ve done 1500 miles now. Hoping that continues to improve as I do more miles.

Ive done 1800 and it still sounds pants and Ive tried all different drive select modes

very disappointed

I drove a dealers car with 3500 miles on and it certainly popped and banged a lot louder than my current car which now has about 500 miles on it. Maybe the engine just needs to bed in.

I drove a dealers car with 3500 miles on and it certainly popped and banged a lot louder than my current car which now has about 500 miles on it. Maybe the engine just needs to bed in.
Hey - expecting my S3 8Y to arrive in a few days.

How's the sound after a year ?

Interested to see if you had any improvements after running the car for a few more miles

Just over 2000km in mine and the only thing i am disappointed with. anyone done a res delete yet ? thoughts ?

Just had the resonator delete done on my 2000km in 8Y S3 Sedan, by The Muffler Man in Prahran VIC. Some intial observations, no drone at freeway speeds, seems to have a slightly more bassy sound at all parts of the rev range, I dont have to look at the tacho to see if it is idling in dynamic mode anymore, was previously only getting deceleration pops and crackles on 2nd and 3rd gear, now in 1st and 4th as well, they seems maybe 10-20% louder. No DSG upshift farts, either with or without the resonator. Will get the exhaust valves fully opened in the next day or so to see if that makes any further difference.

Got the valves permanently opened today. After the res delete yesterday the car sou do around 30% louder and much deeper and better. I can highly recommend the res delete and permanently open valve setting in the sedan. no drone at any speed, but much throatier and deeper sound from idle

Got the valves permanently opened today. After the res delete yesterday the car sou do around 30% louder and much deeper and better. I can highly recommend the res delete and permanently open valve setting in the sedan. no drone at any speed, but much throatier and deeper sound from idle
Do you have any videos as a comparison? I’m tempted by a res delete although I think I’d leave it so the pipes weren’t open all the time but would like it to be a bit more aggressive when in sport.

sorry no videos, the stock 8V is still at least 20-30% louder than the 8Y with the res delete and open valves. I still cannot believe there is no dsg upshift farts on the 8Y S3.