Exhaust system noise levels , OEM - v - Aftermarket branded - V - Custom.

Charlie Farley

Chilling out.
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
As in the title really chaps,
I am looking for some clarification on sound levels across the 3 options for the 2.0tfsi
So then.
OEM with 034 HFC

Aftermarket resonated and un-resonated with 034 HFC

or

Custom system unresonated with and without 034 HFC.

Before I go further I wanted to be sure on how much loader systems will be compared to the OEM with 034 HFC which I have fitted at present.
I don't really want anything too much louder if possible, don't mind a bit but really don't fancy high decibels when doing 300 mile motorway trips.
any feedback would be greatfully received.

rob

Whatever the car turbo back is always the answer, custom unresonated and brand xyz unresonated generally sound the same, surely the purpose of custom exhausts, decats, high flow cats and whatever else is to improve flow and however you do this you will increase noise; you can have a resonator near the turbo, one in the middle and a back box but it'll still be louder than stock as stock is a silly design from a performance point of view.

I have 034 sports cat and milltek no res.

Its loud. Not unbarable as has quiet spots at cruising speeds. But when pressing on it really makes some noise.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Charlie Farley
That's what concern's me a bit , I don't mind a bit more but not really keen on it being just downright loud if that makes sense, maybe a resonated option is better then .

Difficult to tell. But yeah it can drone a bit. Find myself changing speeds alot. Inclines in the motorway really affects the sound.

I dont drive mine daily so it only really gets used for fun.

The saloon body does a good job of sound insulation. But yeah it is loud.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

I know mines a diesel which is allot different when it comes to exhausts (basically much quieter than a petrol on idle and driving sensibly but as loud or louder when going for it) but I'm with the above comment in fortunately Audi has done a load of other stuff to make the cabin seem quiet, notice I've got an exhaust with the windows down but can't tell much difference with them up.

Another thing to note is allot of people ensure the tips are a bit out the back else they can resonate a bit against the bumper.

Ive got a custom cat back and down pipe running standard cat, ive got a back box on either side and nothing in the middle.
Its louder than standard, but not too offensive all the top its not floored.
Motorway speeds are fine, only time its not is on long up hill sections where the revs dont pick up so quick and it resonates a bit, still not really a problem.
We have an 8 month old baby and shes always slept comfortably in the car so it cant be that bad.

I have 034 sports cat and milltek no res.

Its loud. Not unbarable as has quiet spots at cruising speeds. But when pressing on it really makes some noise.

I also have (had) the 034 HFC and Milltek unresonated. I would say its pretty awful in terms of sound. IMO the Audi 4 cyl doesn't sound good to begin with and when you add unresonated catback and a free flowing cat its just unimpressive down low, and unbearable over 3K RPM's. Massive drone and cabin noise on highway over 70 mph. Sad 'cos my Subaru was just awesome with the same mods.

I currently run stock cat and Milltek unresonated and find it real quiet. Figure the best combo would be HFC and Milltek resonated, or maybe just one resonator (on one of the pipes) for "balance". The Milltek resonators can be bought separately.

Thanks for the feedback chaps , I think the best plan is to go with a resonated system and retain my exsisting 034 HFC .
Just need to work out which setup , custom or aftermarket , milteks are good but a bit over priced.
I think some web searching is required now .

Last edited:
Are you looking for performance or just a replacement for a rusty stock one?

I’ve got a Powerflow cat back on the B7, it’s resonated and not a big bore making it as quiet as stock.

Non resonated is fun for 10 minutes then it gets annoying. I had to cruise everywhere at silly speeds in my old civic just to avoid the drone from the Mongoose exhaust....

Does anyone have the Jetex exhaust? I haven’t seen any reviews

Mines got a longlife catback on with a high flow cat and honestly its almost too quiet unless your on it. Doesnt drone at all, so if your after somethin on the quieter side maybe worth a look :icon thumright:

I’m running the 034 with a Milltek resonated system. It’s quite a bit louder than stock but not as loud as non res.
I had hoped it would be a little softer but I’ve got used to it now and quite like it.
We too have a small baby who isn’t bothered by the noise, after a few long journeys recently I think it actually helps her sleep! Cabin noise is definitely up on the stock system, not enough to give you a headache though.