Exhaust valve mod on 3.2?

StephaneS

Reaction score
I've read that it is an easy mod (as well as free) on the R32 and was wondering if anyone's done this on their 3.2?
If yes could you explain me how to do it in very plain English.
Thanks

not sure that you can on the A3, but on the r32 if you looked under the car at the rear silencer, there was an actuator with a hose attached.

You could either use a tie rap or remove the pipe a seal the end and then seal the actuator pipe.

I think this is the flap that makes the car pass the idle noise test and the drive by at 30, When the car is running faster its open anyway.
There was a similar thing on Boxsters, not sure it made any difference to the performance though..

before I go pulling pipes off lets get this straight!! You pull the pipe off the actuator and seal it? what do I put over piece that the pipe fitted to or do I just leave this?

Eddie

I've done it, and all I can say is wow... tunnels seem even more appealing now!!

There are several ways you can do it (much the same as the R32 and the TTV6)

1. Pull the hose out the actuator and seal it (may throw a fault in the ECU though - not confirmed)
2. Cable tie it (which is what I've done, but I don't think it's that good)
or
3. A small clamp like the type you might have used in chemistry or biology at school with the rubber hoses for the bunsen burners (Which is what I'll be trying next /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif)

all i did when i had the r23 was pull off the hose cut off a small section and seal it at one end. Put this back on the actuator and then sealed the end of the detached hose.

I asked as I read somewhere that the valve was operated by some sort of venturi effect but when I messed with it last week the operation of the valve was so damn hard I doubt it. but you never know?

another couple of things:
The valve only shuts one of the 2 pipes so what real effect on the does it have? I mean the noise on mine is a little different but hav not had time to properly compare the 2 setup
the valve is fully open at idle and I understand that it is also fully open at full throttle so when is it closed?

I made the modifications today! But in another way! I tock out the steal wire from the arm of the valve, and then fixed the arm with another wire. This way its no risk of meeting dirt in the or a fault message!

But i can´t really tell if it made any difference on the sound! I have only tested it while the car is standing still!

[ QUOTE ]
trident21 said:
I made the modifications today! But in another way! I tock out the steal wire from the arm of the valve, and then fixed the arm with another wire. This way its no risk of meeting dirt in the or a fault message!

But i can´t really tell if it made any difference on the sound! I have only tested it while the car is standing still!

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought about doing this, but couldn't find any wire to hold it open + I didn't really know what to tie the wire to...

Try finding a fairly high wall or tunnel to drive through from a stop - you'll notice the difference /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif reason being I think the flap only closes once you are in motion.

Well, my 3.2 arrives in march. To kill time I've been reading lots here and on other sites. VWvortex has some pretty interesting .:R32 stuff which also pertains to our 3.2 A3s.

So, here are quite a few links on the exhaust flapper mod. The last links go to an incredibly well written instructional on wiring an elec swithc to control the flapper. Of course, it is for a .:R32, but the same should apply for the A3 3.2. Anyone here willing to try this?

In any case, I thought people here might find interest in this; enjoy!

Quote from VWvortex:

Q. What is the "flapper mod"?
A. It's basically just modifying the normal function of the exhaust flapper valve so that it either stays open all the time, or can be switched open or closed. It makes the exhaust louder at low speeds/low rpms, and gives a bump in hp and torque.

Links to some of the threads that describe how to disable it http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1233574 and http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1283757
Important note: If you disable it in one of these ways, do *not* leave the rubber vacuum tube open. There's a vacuum pump back there that will run continously until it burns out, if you do. Be sure it's either clamped or plugged.

New
Can now wire up a 2 or 3 way switch inside the car to allow you to enable/disable the flapper on the fly. Extensive instructions here:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1446352
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1404645

[edit: first two links didn't work]

Hey Ben I am not sure the mod is worth it
I have done it in mine but now have gone back to normal
I cant post vids apparently but I have 2 vids/sounds and if you can tell me which one refers to the modded exhaust valve i'll be well chuffed
do you have an email?

An electrically switchable valve would do it for me until someone develops a proper exhaust for the 3.2...

Milltek's and Supersprint's aren't quite what I'm looking for...

Are there any other exhaust manufacturers for our cars?

TIA

[ QUOTE ]
An electrically switchable valve would do it for me until someone develops a proper exhaust for the 3.2...

Milltek's and Supersprint's aren't quite what I'm looking for...

Are there any other exhaust manufacturers for our cars?

TIA

[/ QUOTE ]

And here was me thinking i had a proper exhaust,Janspeed here JaminBen comes!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif

Lee,

When I started looking for 3.2 exhausts, one of your posts came up after a google search. Actually, that's what first brought me to this forum...

I never intended to put down Milltek's system; Wasn't it on your thread that complaints about bracketry and fit arose? Something about the hangers being unsightly and the tips sticking out too much? I dismissed Milltek's system after seeing that it didn't make you 100% happy. Did I misinterpret what you wrote? Are you happy with the Milltek?

Again, no offense meant. I'm just looking for as much information as possible. Cheers.

i have a cat back miltek exaust...

when it was first fitted it wasnt the best thing i had seen but they altered it and its sounds and looks fine now... although miltek have offered for me to go down and get it sorted out and so they can offer a better one to everyone else..

still awaiting for time off to go down....

Thanks for your input richy! So you like it then?

I definitely wish I could get a video or a sound file of a 3.2 with miltek.

Maybe we could start an aftermarket exhaust thread?

I never really had a concern with my pipe the thread you found was in response to richy's concern about the brackets.They are completely over the top in size but they do serve a purpose as they are adjustable.(in and out).
Im completely satisfied with it,it sounds a bit deeper than yours did in the video rich,i know the pipes do vary in sound but wondered if the video did'nt bring it across as it really sounds.
P.S not a critisism,still sounds good just different!

no when ur stood next to the car its alot better... obviously im only using a standard mic from the video camera.

have you tried to adjust the clamps? as we tried to while at awesome GTi and they were sealed????? so we simply took the clamps off.. made a few adjustments and then put it back on.. without the clamps...

i did feel a bit of difference between the exaust having and not having clamps but they may just have been in my head.. lol

Lee, the SS web site isn't listing an exhaust for the A3 3.2 yet.

They do have a system for the R32, which has me hoping the A3 is not far behind...

I've searched all over vwvortex for a sound clip of a SS-equipped R32, alas to no avail...

SS is bringing out a set of manifolds for the R32 though, and I am hoping the A3 will be able to have them as well. Here's a link to the vwvortex thread on SS manifolds:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1765873

There is a reputable stainless steel exhaust, low-volume and prototype, manufacturer here in southern France. The shop is called Equinox and I will get a price quote from them sometime next week.

-Benjamin.