Facelift Exhaust valve woes

ObscureLogic

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Currently trying to get to the bottom of an exhaust valve issues on my mate’s RS3. It’s a 2018 facelift (pre-gpf model) that came with the standard exhaust from factory.
It currently has a Miltek cat-back with the original valves fitted to it.
The issue is, every time the car starts (or when driving and coming back to idle), the valves attempt to actuate 3 times (clunking can be heard loudly) then settle in closed mode. The valve actuators have been replaced shortly after the Miltek was fitted as they were believed faulty, this was reflected in a code scan.
We’re trying to disable the valves now using Obdeleven as the constant actuating noise is very frustrating. When reading byte 9 of the long coding, it shows as already disabled. This is where is gets confusing as if they are disabled, surely they should not attempt to actuate. I’ve tried the disable with valve open mode process (switch to dynamic mode then turn engine off) however the result is the same - shows as disabled. I’ve unplugged the valves and tried the process again with no success. As soon as the open valve is reconnected, it actuates closed after a few seconds.

I can’t understand why they show as disabled but still try to actuate. I’ve tried setting them to enabled but this fails with an error.

Has anyone else experienced issues with valve actuation and faulty operation?

cheers!

Forgot to mention in original post. Since the Miltek was fitted, the car has had an APR Stage 1 map performed but I don’t think this would have any impact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exhaust flaps/valves can not be changed via OBDeleven or VCDS, they have to be changed in the ECU map. Most remaps should keep the valves open in dynamic mode.

I would speak to your mapper, as Dan advises, its something in the ecu that would determine the position, probably a programming issue, ask them to flash to stock, see if the issue goes away, then you'll have your answer.

Ah, ok. I didn’t realise that the map would take over control of the valves meaning it could be changed. That makes sense why the setting is disabled/does nothing now.

Will have a word with the mapper and see. Thanks guys, appreciate the answers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk