Exhaust valves

Starry

S3 8V saloon... APR Stage 2....(-:
Reaction score
Im thinking of unplugging the valves to give it a little more sound between pull away and 3k when they would open on dynamic anyway. My car is manual and as far as I know in dynamic the valves should open on tick over then close on pull away until you hit 3k and then reopen.
My issue is on tickover I can only feel a very very small amount of gas coming from the secondary pipe, to me it feels so little that it could just be the valves closed and it’s bypassing the valve. Should both be equal in releasing the gasses?

Ive generally found the outer tips (after opening) to have less flow. At times I've struggled to know if they were open tbh.

If something is coming out, then they will be open. Find it easier when things are hot and just stick my finger in a bit and feel the heat but as mentioned. Sometimes I did doubt it.

Now I just have a remote so I can stand there, opening and closing and see/feel difference!

Reactions: Starry
Afaik the passenger side is open at idle, both then shut as you pull away until about 3-4k then both open.

Fyi people with valves perm open suffer from the ecu pulling power at about 5k, car doesn't like it for some reason.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

I was trying to do the same via VCDS and it was a pain in the neck for months... I had only opened one side, the other was all time closed.

Finally I bought a endoscopic camera to see when the valves were open to open it, and finally after months I was able to make it yesterday.

So I unplugged it and that’s all, valves are all time open, the sound it’s so nice for me and no errors or problems for the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Afaik the passenger side is open at idle, both then shut as you pull away until about 3-4k then both open.

Fyi people with valves perm open suffer from the ecu pulling power at about 5k, car doesn't like it for some reason.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk
At 5k I thought they were open anyway even when plugged in. Are you saying they close again around 5k?

Slightly more expensive but you can purchase a "valve controller" that does the same thing albeit doesn't trigger error logs. Afaik when you have the VC installed in comfort the valves are always shut even from power on every ignition cycle vs dynamic with them always open. Different car (I have a 4) but I have one on order so can report back in a few weeks.

TX.

Slightly more expensive but you can purchase a "valve controller" that does the same thing albeit doesn't trigger error logs. Afaik when you have the VC installed in comfort the valves are always shut even from power on every ignition cycle vs dynamic with them always open. Different car (I have a 4) but I have one on order so can report back in a few weeks.

TX.
Can't say I've noticed anything at 5K RPM, albeit, not sure how often I'm at 5K RPM! But I do have a valve controller, though I don't remember any issues even when I just had them unplugged without the controller.

Can't say I've noticed anything at 5K RPM, albeit, not sure how often I'm at 5K RPM! But I do have a valve controller, though I don't remember any issues even when I just had them unplugged without the controller.
Typical rolling road graphs showing the "dip" (blatantly stolen from others in other threads!):

index.php

index.php

post-2194-0-13011700-1536259962.jpg

TX.

Reactions: oli356
I have disabled my valves in software instead of unplugging them. I haven't noticed any dips at 5k revs

I just gave he car some stick in dynamic and the exhaust tips where massively different in temperature, the ones on all the time I could hardly touch but the valved ones there only mildly warm.