Exhausted!!

Andy9

Reaction score
Hi all, I wonder if you can give some needed ideas on what I can do with my exhaust, My 2004 A4 1.9 quattro's centre silencer is on its way out, I have been patching it for the last couple of years for the mot but now one of the hangers one side has broken free, I've looked and unfortunately it's seems virtually impossible to obtain a new centre section, I think the part number is 8e0 253 409ae. I've seen full exhaust systems for the fwd 1.9 but not the Quattro with the 2 pipes
What I want to know is what is the best way to repair/ replace without running into hundreds if its possible, I just wondered what any of you have done, as usual any thoughts would be gratefully received, cheers, andy.

I've had a look on the Bosal website and it shows the fwd centre section for the quattro, it does not show the twin pipe silencer, I did wonder whether I could delete the centre box, I have watched a YouTube vid where a guy with an S4 had the centre section chopped out and replaced with two separate pipes, would this be able to be done with the 1.9 centre box ?, has this been done before ? Would the two back silencers be enough to silence the Exhaust and would be car sound better ?, Thanks for all your comments.

I got a complete OE exhaust from cat back on eBay (B7 BRE engine) for £50 in better condition than my 12 yr old one.

Give eBay a try for breakers, why do you want to put new on a 16yr old car?

I have been looking on fleabay for a second hand one, I don't really want a new one, I have found a new centre section on fleabay for £160 Inc shopping from Poland, but by the time I've paid someone put it on etc I'm going into a couple of hundred just for the centre bit, there is a welding guy not far from me and I think he does exhaust work, I'm wondering about chopping the centre box out completely and wonder if you can join up with two separate pipes but not sure if this can be done properly and would there be any implications, I'm all for a better sounding car but not if it makes it sound cr-p!!

Surely you can find one closer to home?
Centre sections on their own shouldn't be very much, compared to what I paid for the full length.
If your exhaust us original it will be in one piece, to replace they have to be cut then exhaust sleeves are fitted instead.
Are you able to do the work yourself?

No, i'm not doing the exhaust myself, the car is on jack stands at the mo as i'm changing the suspension arms and changing my front springs, when its done i might see if the centre box can be deleted permanently, just not sure if this will will affect the car in any way and dont want it to sound cr-p, I must admit though all the sites ive looked on only specify the fwd exhaust system and always seem to show the Quattro sytem as unavailable and i'm not sure why, i will ring round a few Exhaust places and see what they say.