Exhausts and Intakes

Oli.

Reaction score
Right Im ordering my Milltek tommorrow, just a couple of questions;

1. I dont really want it any louder than stock - What is the noise difference between resonated and non resonated - Any sound clips would be good

2. Tailpipe design - There are two available, 80mm jet or 80mm special - some pictures of both would be handy from those how have them fitted - The website only has the 'special' in pictures, and not a very good pic.

3. Which intake should I go for, as it seems pointless to go for one without the other???

Oh and two final things, does anyone have H & R springs, fitted to their S3, based in the South, as I'd like to have a ride in a car before I commit to getting them, I had them on my 335D, and they were a bit thumpy at times, and finally when are we having a southern rolling road day - I'd like to see what mine is putting out after all the work

All your help would be much appreciated, as it looks like Im well and truely on the slippery slope of modification

Thanks muchly :rock:

as it looks like Im well and truely on the slippery slope of modification

Best place to be! and why not get some unleash the beast!
I was under the impression Milltek are going to be releasing a new 3" pipe soon.... I could be wrong :undwech:
Where are you going to be getting the pipe from?

Also, EVOMS are supposed to be releasing an intake soon, I've emailed them, just waiting for a date....

I will be getting the exhaust direct from Milltek, as I am signed up as a stockist/dealer now

1. I dont really want it any louder than stock - What is the noise difference between resonated and non resonated - Any sound clips would be good

2. Tailpipe design - There are two available, 80mm jet or 80mm special - some pictures of both would be handy from those how have them fitted - The website only has the 'special' in pictures, and not a very good pic.

3. Which intake should I go for, as it seems pointless to go for one without the other???

Oh and two final things, does anyone have H & R springs, fitted to their S3, based in the South, as I'd like to have a ride in a car before I commit to getting them, I had them on my 335D, and they were a bit thumpy at times, and finally when are we having a southern rolling road day - I'd like to see what mine is putting out after all the work

All your help would be much appreciated, as it looks like Im well and truely on the slippery slope of modification

On the exhaust - I think the special is the nicer looking exhaust. If you go on the miltek website and watch the video of the S3 that has the other one.
The special in my opinion looks more OEM, the other one looks a bit too after market - if that makes sense!

EVOMs definately seems to be the intake of choice for those going down the serious mod route - take a look at jonnyc's set up:
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=55101

With regards to the H&R springs, I don't have them fitted (yet!), but went through exaclty the same thought process as you. I managed to get a ride in a car with them fitted (jonnyc's again.. he's leading the way with mod's isn't he!!). They are definately firmer, but I didn't think they were horribly so, let's face it the standard suspension is pretty firm anyway. Lot's of others have also mentioned that it keeps the rear end far more in check. I'm looking forward to testing mine out on the croft trackday in September as i'll have the ARB's fitted too!

I'll hopefully have mine fitted on the 26th July depending on a few bits and pieces coming together. I'm based in London, so if you can wait that long you're welcome to have a ride out in mine to see what you think.
Means I can check out your MTM alloys :thumbsup:

J

Best place to be! and why not get some unleash the beast!

I've heard a lot about you decked - dan32 over on tyresmoke warned me you we're moving to the S3 and also warned me about the speed with which you modify.... looking forward to seeing where you take it.
Welcome to as.net

:thumbsup:

cheers mate, I'll take you up on that

Never heard the non resonated but resonated is not much louder than stock inside the car at low revs or driving normally just a bit deeper. When booting it it is definitely louder (apparently it's much louder when you are driving behind) but deep and sporty rather than chavvy, sounds so much better than stock. At motorway speeds no drone or resonating. Fit and finish is also very good.

I have the 80mm specials and think they look really good, not a fan of the Jets. AMD Technik in Woking who fitted it (THEY DO FREE FITTING ON MILLTEKS) reckoned they give the car a more aggressive look than the jets. Will get some pics tomorrow

I'm told the V Flow by evolution motorsport is good. I just bought Spin's Carbonio. Gains from it won't be as big as with some of the others but I'm not a big fan of induction noise so thought I'd give it a go.

I'm definitely up for a rolling road day down South

(THEY DO FREE FITTING ON MILLTEKS)

I just bought Spin's Carbonio.

I'm definitely up for a rolling road day down South

a) I run my own garage, and got a healthy discount on the Milltek - thanks for the info anyway

b) ****, I just PM'd him about that

c) Definately, we need someone with more time on their hands than me to sort out - any volunteers??

nothing like a healthy discount

was hoping you were volunteering :)

I run the Carbonio and a BMC panel filter on mine. As said, I don't think there is much power gain, but response is definately improved - and it looks good! Also sounds a bit better!

I have a non-resonated Milltek turbo-back with special style tailpipes on my S3.

My friends with resonated Millteks say mine is not a car, but a rocket...

I believe that this, more or less, explains the difference between resonated and non-resonated...:rock:

Anyway, the real and massive difference between the two systems is audible only when the engine is under load and the wastegate opens.

I have a turbo back resonated Milltek on my A3 2.0T and as the others have mentioned, there is a very slight difference compared to stock especially and most people cannot tell the difference. Very stelth. You can even rub off the Milltek logo silkscreen and you draw even less attention!

I am not a big fan of replacing the entire intake including the panel filter box. Makes it sound too "Max Power" for my taste. I have an Oettinger intake on mine and it should be very similar (if not the same) as the Carbonio. Better highend without low end sacrifice.

Right all ordered - Turbo back Milltek, resonated with special tailpipes, and a carbon intake, from APS - All turns up monday, so should be fitted by midweek

a fine choice

APS are really good too

Right exhaust and intake are here, and should be on by the end of the day - full report to follow - Watch thiis space........

intake is on and standard exhaust is just coming off

Right its all on. Bar a slight bit of adjustment to stop it touching the rear anti-roll when reversing, its all done. Obviously the car needs 50-100 miles to learn the new values of a free-er flowing exhaust and cold air intkae, but initial signs are very good - It seems a lot more loose, rev wise, with more urge lower down in the rev range, and it sounds awesome, a lot better on idle, and when giving it some you can really hear the engine and turbo through the exhaust, but not OTT loud - I'm really glad I went for the resonated Milltek.

Would I recommend it as a mod - YES, especially coupled with the re-map, I'm really please with the initial results.

I'll let you know fully tomorrow, as I've got to get it adjusted first thing, and then I've got about a 100 miles or so to do.

Pics of the Carbospeed intake are here - www.carbonspeed.co.uk, Ill get pic's of the exhaust tomorrow when its been adjusted correclty and the car has been valeted - vain!!

ahhaaaa, just like mine then:
P1010104.jpg

:thumbsup:

Here are pictures as requested, this is after a run in it so the exhaust is sticking approx 20mm further out than when cold. It is all adjusted fine now and sounding lovely.

S6300828.jpg

S6300829.jpg

S6300830.jpg

S6300831.jpg

May I enquire as to the cost of a full sports cat, non resonated centre section and special slash cut back box for the S3?
I have the milltek sports cats on my CSL and they are 100 Cell, are the S3 ones?

May I enquire as to the cost of a full sports cat, non resonated centre section and special slash cut back box for the S3?
I have the milltek sports cats on my CSL and they are 100 Cell, are the S3 ones?
For the S3 it's 200 cpsi

The exhaust is about a £1155, and the intake is £190:hubbahubba:

Did The CAI today!!!

The Forge CAI ? Please let me know how easy it was to do and whether its worth it for noise/performance. I'm giving this serious thought at the moment ....

Oli - if you're still interested in having a ride in the car when I ahve the H&R springs and roll bars let me know. Mine's going on next weekend.
:eyebrows:

Thanks Oli, £1155 is very good for a full Milltek system incl. cats.

The Forge CAI ? Please let me know how easy it was to do and whether its worth it for noise/performance. I'm giving this serious thought at the moment ....

The Carbon speed one, easy as to fit and as people know I only have 2 tools and ones an hammer!

Sound is ****** awesome! it is well worth it

Is the Carbonspeed the same as the Carbonio ? Looks identical (same unit different brand perhaps ?). It seems the Carbonio saps power - wouldn't want that !!

Is the Carbonspeed the same as the Carbonio ? Looks identical (same unit different brand perhaps ?). It seems the Carbonio saps power - wouldn't want that !!

I have had the pleasure of having both the Oettinger Ram air (carbonio) as well as the Forge CAI fitted to my car. Honestly having had the experience, the Carbonio is a waste of money and in no way improves power..nothing. If its power you want, Forge CAI is your answer...I've posted this before, I saw a 10kw gain on my car.

Have a look at this dynograph, its a mate of mines car here in SA. He also posts on Audi-Sport. Look at the figures, before and after Forge CAI...the figure is WHEEL power. Mods, REVO stage1 and Forge CAI.

Figure before fitment of Forge CAI 189.4kw ATW

Figure after fitment of Forge CAI 202Kw ATW.

Torque is up by 21nm from 388nm to 409nm.

Proof enough that a proper CAI fitted to a S3 will unleash some serious ponies!

dynograph.jpg