Exhausts

paddy

Reaction score
Coming from the world of Bikes to the world of cars can some one help here...
I have priced up a Milltek from AMD for my car but wondered if the laws apply here. On a bike an after market exhaust has to carry a TUV and BS number to pass an MOT, this means you have to swop the exhaust over each year for the test. No big deal on a bike ( 10 Min's) but does this apply to noisy car exhausts as well ??

Cheers in advance guys :)

I believe the only thing the car must have is a cat otherwise it wont pass the emissions test.

That is only relevent to petrol cars though as diesels, like bikes dont require a cat.

yep, theres no noise test for cars as part of the mot. But it does have to pass an emissions test, which it should do no problem as long as the cat is fitted and working, and the engine is in a good state of tune.

Bikes dont actually need a markings to pass but they cant say "not for road use" or "for off road use only" and should be no louder than a standard exhaust on an equivelent bike.

Cars have noise restictions too, I dont believe either of the milltek exhausts are too loud unless the tester is in a fowl mood LOL

Sorry Khufu but bike exhausts must be stamped ! thats why i am asking the question re: cars

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Replacements units, other than bikes registered before 01.Jan.1985, must have the BSAU 193 stamp[/FONT]

Thats out of date info - they had to drop that few years ago as lots of new bikes were coming out without any markings yet were approved.

How do I know this.... I'm a motorbike MOT tester :)

Thats out of date info - they had to drop that few years ago as lots of new bikes were coming out without any markings yet were approved.

How do I know this.... I'm a motorbike MOT tester :)

Ok thanks for that mate

I am looking for an exhaust for the A3 that gives the free flow without the noise of a boy racer and the Milltek looks to be as subtle as any..

Can anyone tell me if my previous post is correct that diesel engined cars do not require a cat to pass the mot as they dont have an emissions check?

It's just a friend's cat has gone on his Golf diesel and a mechanic has told him if he gets a cat by-pass pipe he wont pass his next mot.

Thanks..

Ok thanks for that mate

I am looking for an exhaust for the A3 that gives the free flow without the noise of a boy racer and the Milltek looks to be as subtle as any..

I took a Milltek off my 3.2Q when I bought it. It was louder than I wanted. The Remus back box I then fitted sounds great though :)

I like the silly loud can on my bike, but wanted something subtle and high quality on my Audi.

I didnt know you could get remus car boxes over here ? was it that much quieter than the Milltek ?
I always use Devil on my Yam :)

I didnt know you could get remus car boxes over here ? was it that much quieter than the Milltek ?
I always use Devil on my Yam :)

It's a different sound to Milltek, less boomy but still gives a good roar when I put my foot down. Here's the one I got:
http://www.remusuk.com/model.asp?id=Quattro 3.2l V6 184 kW, 2003=>&mod=A3 Mk2 (8P)&man=Audi

Devil? French aren't they? I've got an Akrapovic on my Gixxer which does the job nicely. I had Termignoni's on my old Ducati Monster, they used to set of EVERY car alarm hehe.

Ive got original Conti's on my 1976 900SS....they rattle your teeth !!
cheers for the link.

Can anyone tell me if my previous post is correct that diesel engined cars do not require a cat to pass the mot as they dont have an emissions check?

It's just a friend's cat has gone on his Golf diesel and a mechanic has told him if he gets a cat by-pass pipe he wont pass his next mot.

Thanks..
Ryan that mot tester must be a tit,on a diesel it isnt a cat anyway its a cannister that catches soot/particles:end_of_discction: and make no difference to the test,tell him to read his manuals

Thanks leach76,

He's not a tester, he's just a mechanic

So there is no problem with removing the cannister for a straight through pipe?

Should it still pass the diesel smoke test?

Last edited: