Experience with 2.0TFSI and mild hybrid (12v BSG)

D

dkpeter

Any body with experience with the mild hybrid in the 2.0 TFSI, which I think was introduced in 2017 but not a lot information is available and unsure if this is actually true.
The mild hybrid version in A4 isn't a 48v system as with A6, A8 but instead a 12V BSG (belt driven starter and alternator) with a Li-Ion battery in the trunk. The system doesn't help in driving (forward motion) but instead enables recuperation to the Li-Ion battery which then can off load energi hungry elements like A/C, steering pumps from the engine. Also engine shutoff during coasting should be possible and the start action should be quicker, more silent and vibration free.
The My2019 information also mention mild hybrid as something new but is it any different from might actually exist?

Anyone how can confirm the above, that mild hybrid currently exists. Can only find one German a4 b9 forum thread about this otherwise very little, or close to non information is available.

I had an 18 plate loan car with the 2.0tfsi 190 engine a few days ago. The start stop kicked in while coasting at 30mph, so I assume it was mild hybrid - bit weird to start with but it restarted almost instantly when I went to accelerate. Overall it was a decent engine - quiet, smooth and reasonable power. The start stop was definitely smoother than my S4. Long term memory said 30mpg - about 20% better than the S4.

That’s because of pollution norms CO2 and fuel economy. Mine is also like that and the system is quite smooth, you can put it in coasting from + gear paddle just press two times without gas pedal if it doesn’t coast by herself. I drive 50-50% town/highway and minimum one time per day floored :D this brings me 8liters/100km tank to tank calculated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any body with experience with the mild hybrid in the 2.0 TFSI, which I think was introduced in 2017 but not a lot information is available and unsure if this is actually true.
The mild hybrid version in A4 isn't a 48v system as with A6, A8 but instead a 12V BSG (belt driven starter and alternator) with a Li-Ion battery in the trunk. The system doesn't help in driving (forward motion) but instead enables recuperation to the Li-Ion battery which then can off load energi hungry elements like A/C, steering pumps from the engine. Also engine shutoff during coasting should be possible and the start action should be quicker, more silent and vibration free.
The My2019 information also mention mild hybrid as something new but is it any different from might actually exist?

Anyone how can confirm the above, that mild hybrid currently exists. Can only find one German a4 b9 forum thread about this otherwise very little, or close to non information is available.
This is much the same as my investigation into the 2.0l petrol engine but I believe its only the 190ps with the Miller cycle. The start stop system is much the same as any engine and has sensors to stop the engine at a specific part of the ignition cycle to place less strain on the battery and the starter and make the startup process quicker.
BMW also have a mild hybrid system as described https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Start-stop_system

Way back in April when i got by new 2.TFSI A4 Allroad I asked if anyone else had a car which "cut out whilst coasting"! At the time even Audi Customer Services knew nothing about my car being MHEV. The Manual in the technical part shows my car as MHEV and so does my My Audi App. But there's no other info on what to expect. Baffling. However the car works well and I understand it now after experimenting with it. By the way I have had an official audi engine management software update to ensure the car restarts when in coasting mode. I mentioned this on this forum earlier as well.

Nice touch with the coasting activation from gear pad, didn't know about that. The Audi personal I talked during test drive didn't have any knowledge of MHEV been available on A4, "that is for the larger cars as A6" he replied. Luckily some one else came by and could remember that it might be true but couldn't provide any information and the Audi www site didn't mention anything either. Think Audi has released this MHEV on A4 very silently.

When the engine is in coasting mode, and presumably in regen as well. The gear indicator on my car loses it's numbers. Thus if in 'D' it only show the D...

When the engine is in coasting mode, and presumably in regen as well. The gear indicator on my car loses it's numbers. Thus if in 'D' it only show the D...

I don't think that it is, but that's only based on the instantaneous mpg bar indicator that turns green at the far right when in regen mode. When mine is coasting it doesn't go green, but if I'm using engine braking then it does.

I wasn't sure so that's why I stated presumably, however when the numbers disappear it is in coasting mode as reported by another owner here. I know that it is usual for regen to happen under braking, this is how my other vehicles have done it.
In fact a mild hybrid engine iss nothing new having been with us since 1999 in certain configurations according to here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mild_hybrid but whether the Audi version has anything new I'm not sure.

Reactions: Daggerit
I wasn't sure so that's why I stated presumably, however when the numbers disappear it is in coasting mode as reported by another owner here. I know that it is usual for regen to happen under braking, this is how my other vehicles have done it.
In fact a mild hybrid engine iss nothing new having been with us since 1999 in certain configurations according to here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mild_hybrid but whether the Audi version has anything new I'm not sure.

Indeed, I totally agree with you about the coasting bit in terms of the gear number disappearing. :) I like that they managed to do it with a traditional slush box transmission like mine as well, rather than just the double clutch boxes.

Reactions: cuke2u
+1 on the gear number disappearing, like angel gear in a manual, but I have yet to work out the parameters for it to happen. There are places it should do it, but it doesn't, & vice versa. Also there is a 1km section of road near home which is perfect for coasting. Even though I purposely set the vehicle for coasting mode, it doesn't enable on many of those occasions??

Reactions: Daggerit
+1 on the gear number disappearing, like angel gear in a manual, but I have yet to work out the parameters for it to happen. There are places it should do it, but it doesn't, & vice versa. Also there is a 1km section of road near home which is perfect for coasting. Even though I purposely set the vehicle for coasting mode, it doesn't enable on many of those occasions??

I don't know what the criteria is for it to coast, but provided you're not on cruise control I've found that you can generally force a coast by manually up shifting using the paddles. Generally takes a few pulls to shift up once or twice... :)

Reactions: SMI77
I have a feeling that the coasting is pretty smart and works in conjunction with the GPS. There's railway bridge that I go over fairly often with a roundabout close to it. If I approach the bridge heading toward the roundabout at over 30mph and lift off the accelerator before the bridge, it goes into coasting, yet the engine will restart on the downslope as I approach the roundabout...….like it knows it's there.

I've also seen this happen approaching junctions.

Reactions: SMI77