Extended warranty

RichardT

Reaction score
My car is just coming up to 3 years old (can't believe it). I have today received an email from Audi inviting me to take out an extended warranty.
I had been considering this because I am just slightly concerned about possible large costs - particularly the gearbox (s-tronic). From comments on here it would seem to be pretty costly if it goes wrong (although I have no suspicions at the moment)

The wizard gives various options for Excess, annual mileage and "Cover level". Cover level is either All components or Named components. The named components are..
Braking system
Clutch
Drive-line components
Electrics
Engine
Gearbox
Heating and cooling system
Locking system
Steering system and suspension

Costs with my less than 10K miles per annum and £250 excess are...
All components - £230
Named components - £194

with no excess...
All components - £334
Named components - £274

Questions I have (and I will raise with the dealer when I go in in a couple of weeks for the service and MOT)

If I declined to take it out now, would I be able to take it out next year?
What is included in the All over and above the Named component cover?

Questions for the forum...
Is this a reasonable deal (I didn't think the £194 was too bad)
Can you get it any cheaper elsewhere?
If so any suggestions?

Looking at the price differences, would you be better taking it with no excess as the price differences are less than £250.

if you don't take out the warranty whilst it is still within its original one then the price almost doubles.

Cheaper elsewhere maybe, but i would question its worth. And at the price you quoted i bet its only a few £'s....

Here is a link to my troubles in April this year. Might give you some food for thought! then again, it might not! ha! read it to the end...

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/audi-extended-warranty-wtf.307569/

Reactions: AudiNutta
I took out extended warranty with Audi.
All components, no excess (around £350) I think.

Had a LAMBDA sensor replaced.
Aircon issue and new condenser fitted.

4 months in and the warranty has paid for itself. On the other hand, I could've had no issues after 12 months and been annoyed at wasting £350.
It's all down to how much you value peace of mind.

If you do take it. Get the zero excess option.

Thanks for the link to the old thread - pretty interesting. I assume that as well as the annual mileage, the current mileage would have an impact. Mine has only done 24K so would explain my slightly lower quotes.
I would still love to know what you get with All as opposed to Named.
The list in the named seems to include most of the costly stuff (engine and gearbox). The help for the All just says all - very helpful.
I am really inclined to go with named to be honest, because it seems to include the big stuff. But the I suppose that I could get a relatively minor problem that wasn't covered and it could cost £500.

Finally - I assume that the Aidi cover includes labour?

Reactions: Ormesome
You'd be better off going with all component cover on no excess, retain your same warranty for them to look at things like creaks and rattles.

You have to take the warranty out while it's in warranty, that's my belief or you can't have an Audi warranty again! Other warranties are normally there to catch you out and little more, main dealer warranty is the only way to go.

I would still love to know what you get with All as opposed to Named.
The list in the named seems to include most of the costly stuff (engine and gearbox). The help for the All just says all - very helpful
Finally - I assume that the Aidi cover includes labour?
Download the policy handbook from the website as it details what is not covered under comp cover on the next page, but as it says 'it covers all factory fitted mech / elec components'.

Put simply-
Comp cover - covers everything except 'the listed exclusions'.
Named cover - works the opposite way in that it only covers 'the listed inclusions'.

Reasonable labour costs are covered.

You'd be better off going with all component cover on no excess, retain your same warranty for them to look at things like creaks and rattles.

You have to take the warranty out while it's in warranty, that's my belief or you can't have an Audi warranty again! Other warranties are normally there to catch you out and little more, main dealer warranty is the only way to go.
The extended warranty will only cover creaks & rattles if they are due to a mech / elec failed covered component, so if it's a creak due to a loose trim that can be refitted = not covered as there's no failed item, whereas if it were a creak due to for instance a broken seat frame then it would be covered as it's a symptom of a failed covered item. I hope that makes sense?.

You can take out the policy at any time as long as it is at a mileage of less than 100k miles at policy inception. Obviously you're quoted a better price if you do it back to back with the end of the 3rd yr policy.

Both my replies relate to insurance products within the UK other rules may apply in foreign markets (as we're on an internationally read forum)

The extended warranty will only cover creaks & rattles if they are due to a mech / elec failed covered component, so if it's a creak due to a loose trim that can be refitted = not covered as there's no failed item, whereas if it were a creak due to for instance a broken seat frame then it would be covered as it's a symptom of a failed covered item. I hope that makes sense?.

You can take out the policy at any time as long as it is at a mileage of less than 100k miles at policy inception. Obviously you're quoted a better price if you do it back to back with the end of the 3rd yr policy.

Both my replies relate to insurance products within the UK other rules may apply in foreign markets (as we're on an internationally read forum)

Yeah that makes sense. My A3 went in several times for creaks and rattles, I tried to get Audi to hear some in the S3 and gave up.. but now I'm on 11k, it's a while since I've noticed any so all have bedded in.

I always thought to retain the warranty, you had to keep it continuos and that's what Audi led me to believe.

I wonder if my extended 5 year warranty from factory will cover the exact same as the first 3 years? They don't sell it as if there is any less cover.

I always thought to retain the warranty, you had to keep it continuos and that's what Audi led me to believe.

I wonder if my extended 5 year warranty from factory will cover the exact same as the first 3 years? They don't sell it as if there is any less cover.
No you don't have to keep going back to back with the previous policy, obviously Audi would love you to do that as it's more money for them & that's what all businesses are there for lol !.

I've not bothered reading up on the option to extend the warranty from 3 to 5yrs as I purchased my car at 16 months old so the option wasn't available to me, so I'm not sure if the coverage is still as good in years 4 & 5 sorry!

You need to take into consideration that you still have to front the diagnosis costs before hand which can be a couple hundred quid.
The cover doesn't cover everything...
It will cost you more to do it next year.
Don't bother with independent third party warranties because you will always end up paying near to half of the bill plus diagnosis costs and it's a ball ache

The whole VW group offer a brilliant goodwill system where they take into account your service history, loyalty to the brand ect and often repair to cover a percentage of the cost for either parts, labour or both often covering the costs of the whole repair. Although this is not guaranteed and usually not offered by the dealership unless you're very loyal to them you usually have to press them for it.

IMO not worth it! don't shoot me if it bits you in the *** though

Yes I have the 5 year extended factory warranty and it covers everything the 3 year normal warranty covers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I took out the factory 5-year warranty as the free 3-year = 2-years Audi + 1 year dealer.
The 5-year is a full VAG warranty. My thinking behind this is the dealer is more likely to be on your side if something goes wrong as they claim back from VAG, not from their profit. Also, if Audi know you have a warranty, I like to think they give you a better car as they don't want you creating extra work for them at 4 years without getting paid for it. (Probably just me daydreaming):shrug:

Reactions: Ormesome
I took out the factory 5-year warranty as the free 3-year = 2-years Audi + 1 year dealer.
The 5-year is a full VAG warranty. My thinking behind this is the dealer is more likely to be on your side if something goes wrong as they claim back from VAG, not from their profit. Also, if Audi know you have a warranty, I like to think they give you a better car as they don't want you creating extra work for them at 4 years without getting paid for it. (Probably just me daydreaming):shrug:

I'm afraid you are dreaming. The dealer never loses profit from warranty work. They always MAKE profit from it as Audi/VW pay them for all the repairs. But the extended warranties cover less repairs, and the process is a lot more difficult. :)