Extra Load tyres on Avant TDi

N11KDJ

Reaction score
I've got an Avant TDi Sport with the standard 17" 5 spoke alloys and the tyres fitted are 235-45-17 94Y but they don't say extra load anywhere, they say max load 670kg.

I've read conflicting advice about my car needing extra load tyres or not, can anyone shed any light? As my tyres don't say extra load is it something I need to change or can I keep what i've got until they run down, still plenty of tread left on all.

Thanks for any input.

If they don't say XL then they aren't XL.

Normal load tyres in that size have a 94Y rating, but XL ones have a 97Y rating.

So are the 94Y ones I have on the car correct or should I be changing them to XL tyres?

So are the 94Y ones I have on the car correct or should I be changing them to XL tyres?
Look at the tyre data sticker on the drivers B pillar (by the door lock), that will tell you the correct tyre spec for your car.

Checked that already but it doesn't list the load index or speed rating, just the size.

Does anybody know what spec tyres a 2004 Avant TDi sport came with from the factory?

blackcircles.com recommend a load rating of 97 if that helps at all

Checked that already but it doesn't list the load index or speed rating, just the size.
If there's no XL shown after the size then that says to me you don't need XL tyres, as the sticker on my B pillar says XL after the tyre size.

2004 1.8t avant Quattro here and it requires xl

Cheers for all the replies guys, duffy78 - how do you know your car requires XL tyres? Does yours have XL after the tyres size on the door sticker?