Extra Security for New S3

RED 1

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
as a new member and shortly New S3 Sportback owner, I'm very interested in possible non standard security options for my new Audi.
After reading some threads on this site i came across the OBD Portector. Now i have searched most sections of this site and cannot find much in the way of opinions from Audi S3 owners or anyone else for that matter.

I have followed the news and information on this product recently and they seem to be doing rather well, with one Innovation Award and another possibly on the way.

Considering the Audi S3 unfortunate reputation as one of your local burglars favourite prizes, i would have thought there would be more enthusiasm for this product,.......... or am i missing something.
Any views on this would be much appreciated.

I have the OBDII protector fitted to my S7.

It's very much a "stealth" device, i.e. It's not a visible deterrent. However there have been a lot of key cloning related thefts (done through the OBDII port) so you get protection from that.

I recommend the use of a Disklok steering wheel lock as the visible deterrent. Most thieves will see the Disklok and walk on bye.

It's well known, and discussed at length in the forum, that the OEM alarm system is pretty pants. You can tweak it using VCDS to adjust the trigger delay, which makes it more effective. Search the forum for more info.

There are a number of tracker type solutions on the market, from a £35 eBay special - pop a SIM card in, config the unit, and whenever you send an SMS to it, it will respond in various ways including sending you a location map.

At the other end of the price spectrum, there are fully monitored Tracker units that monitor your car 24x7 and tell you via a control centre if the car is moving, and have the ability to remotely stop and disable the car, as well as direct police vehicles to its location. These types have an initial purchase cost, and an annual subscription cost.

At the end of the day, you need to decide how much you want to invest in your car security.

The final thing to mention is theft from your driveway, which unfortunately has been on the increase recently. If your not garaging the car overnight, look at security around where your parking it: Front door security, CCTV, security lighting, driveway gates or security post.

Enjoy the car when it arrives! :racer:

Reactions: Soulboy, TDI-line, Sandra and 2 others
I have the OBDII protector fitted to my S7.

It's very much a "stealth" device, i.e. It's not a visible deterrent. However there have been a lot of key cloning related thefts (done through the OBDII port) so you get protection from that.

I recommend the use of a Disklok steering wheel lock as the visible deterrent. Most thieves will see the Disklok and walk on bye.

It's well known, and discussed at length in the forum, that the OEM alarm system is pretty pants. You can tweak it using VCDS to adjust the trigger delay, which makes it more effective. Search the forum for more info.

There are a number of tracker type solutions on the market, from a £35 eBay special - pop a SIM card in, config the unit, and whenever you send an SMS to it, it will respond in various ways including sending you a location map.

At the other end of the price spectrum, there are fully monitored Tracker units that monitor your car 24x7 and tell you via a control centre if the car is moving, and have the ability to remotely stop and disable the car, as well as direct police vehicles to its location. These types have an initial purchase cost, and an annual subscription cost.

At the end of the day, you need to decide how much you want to invest in your car security.

The final thing to mention is theft from your driveway, which unfortunately has been on the increase recently. If your not garaging the car overnight, look at security around where your parking it: Front door security, CCTV, security lighting, driveway gates or security post.

Enjoy the car when it arrives! :racer:

Thanks RAF_S7,
The port protector seemed a good idea to me and for the one off cost, seemed reasonable value for the security gained.

The Disklock also seems to be one of the best visual deterrents on the market at a reasonable cost.

As far as trackers are concerned, i am more interested in prevention than recovery but i will look into some of the other options you have mentioned and go from there. Cheers

Reactions: Audi Bairn and RAF_S7
I'd start by looking at your home security first.

Good alarm
Anti-Snap door cylinders & handles
Sash jammers on downstairs windows
Composite front and back doors

The Autowatch Ghost has been discussed on here and would be my first choice over an obd protector any day. Yes a new key can still be coded but the car still won't start without the code being inputted by the required buttons.

And last but not least if your insurance company doesn't give you a brand new car if stolen in the first 12 months, buy a GAP policy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Audi Bairn
I'd start by looking at your home security first.

Good alarm
Anti-Snap door cylinders & handles
Sash jammers on downstairs windows
Composite front and back doors

The Autowatch Ghost has been discussed on here and would be my first choice over an obd protector any day. Yes a new key can still be coded but the car still won't start without the code being inputted by the required buttons.

And last but not least if your insurance company doesn't give you a brand new car if stolen in the first 12 months, buy a GAP policy.
Thanks davc,

House security is not a problem, i have everything stated on your list and quotes for new GAP insurance have already been received.
The Autowatch Ghost, i know little about, so will look into that further.

Im more interested on peoples views of the OBD Portector by ON BOARD DEFENCE this is the product that seems to be winning some Innovation Awards and is Thatcham Approved. It seems to address the possibility of stealing a car electronically through the ODB Port, but i will look further at the Autowatch Ghost. Cheers.

Reactions: davc
I have just become a dealer for Autowatch and have the Ghost in stock. Depending on your location may be able to instal for you. If you contact auto watch direct they will give you details of your nearest installer if im too far and you may be able to have a demo.

Hi everyone,
as a new member and shortly New S3 Sportback owner, I'm very interested in possible non standard security options for my new Audi.
After reading some threads on this site i came across the OBD Portector. Now i have searched most sections of this site and cannot find much in the way of opinions from Audi S3 owners or anyone else for that matter.

I have followed the news and information on this product recently and they seem to be doing rather well, with one Innovation Award and another possibly on the way.

Considering the Audi S3 unfortunate reputation as one of your local burglars favourite prizes, i would have thought there would be more enthusiasm for this product,.......... or am i missing something.
Any views on this would be much appreciated.

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/obd-port-lock-from-obdportector-com.265092/#post-2697703

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...t-impressions-of-a-dummy.268187/#post-2707008

Hi mate,

I have the OBD Portector on A3 8V and I've had it on the car for about a year now. Really happy for it and especially for how much it is with no further subscription fees etc etc which I was off-put by on other solutions.

Really knowledgeable lot aswell if you ring them and have a chat and very supportive where/when required. A lot of research and development has gone into the product in order for it to be recognised by Thatcham etc. and even when the guy came to install it on my car I watched him do it. The amount of heatshrinking and wrapping and the quality of the device is impressive. To un-immobilise the OBD you're required to swipe a security card over the OBD port area, its important not to forget this card when you have a trip to the dealers or a garage. Worth keeping safe and of course, no in the car.

Was a concern for me especially have keyless go too, but now I've got peace of mind that I can park my car out on the streets in town that someone isnt going to reprogramme my key and drive away with it. Of course someone can still take the car if they stole my keys but its a big deterrent and peace of mind, especially for £250 IIRC. I'd strongly consider GAP insurance too.

I've done some further security enhancing things too but I don't wish to discuss them on an open forum. But OBD Portector is a fantastic product you won't be disappointed.

Cheers
SJ

Reactions: Sandra
Hi mate,

I have the OBD Portector on A3 8V and I've had it on the car for about a year now. Really happy for it and especially for how much it is with no further subscription fees etc etc which I was off-put by on other solutions.

Really knowledgeable lot aswell if you ring them and have a chat and very supportive where/when required. A lot of research and development has gone into the product in order for it to be recognised by Thatcham etc. and even when the guy came to install it on my car I watched him do it. The amount of heatshrinking and wrapping and the quality of the device is impressive. To un-immobilise the OBD you're required to swipe a security card over the OBD port area, its important not to forget this card when you have a trip to the dealers or a garage. Worth keeping safe and of course, no in the car.

Was a concern for me especially have keyless go too, but now I've got peace of mind that I can park my car out on the streets in town that someone isnt going to reprogramme my key and drive away with it. Of course someone can still take the car if they stole my keys but its a big deterrent and peace of mind, especially for £250 IIRC. I'd strongly consider GAP insurance too.

I've done some further security enhancing things too but I don't wish to discuss them on an open forum. But OBD Portector is a fantastic product you won't be disappointed.

Cheers
SJ
Thanks SJ43,

your obviously very pleased with this product and i have the same feelings as you, just can't understand why there hasn't been more interest.
For the price and added security, it sounds like a bit of a NO BRAINER to me and its Thatcham Approved.

I would be interested in anybodies views on this product even if you don't have one fitted. Cheers.

Reactions: azibux1, SJ43 and Sandra
Trackstar Advance tracker has an immobiliser so the car can't be started without the tag, making a cloned key useless.

Reactions: SJ43
Be very careful expecting a new car in the first twelve months! I did a long post about this when I first got my car after talking to various companies and asking specific questions, the short version: A lot of companies will only give you a new car IF the same spec car is available in the UK immediately, when it's not and the car would need to be ordered they then revert to book price! As a lot of S3's are made to order you can see the potential downfall! I did GAP cover from day one of ownership ;)

Hi guys

Just to add my 2p worth. Get some very strong security that is separate from your keys i.e. a pop up post in the drive behind the car.

My pride and joy was taken from my driveway last week. They smashed through my patio doors which a slab of concrete and got the keys and were off whilst we slept upstairs. We were awoken to a very loud crashing noise as they stoved in the patio door glass of the house. And they were gone before I got downstairs. Audi S3 2013.

So please please please get some hardware that does not reply on the keys i.e. the driveway post or wheel clamps.

Will I get another. Hard to say. Loved that car but hate being a victim.

Wished I got gap insurance but you live and learn. And looking on web it's top of 2016 stolen car per amount made. Not good.

Reactions: SJ43
Sorry to hear that mate. Horrid thing. Thanks for your 2p much appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Might be worth noting that the thatcham status on devices is being phased out. Thatcham approved will no longer be recognised as any better than any other similar product. Thatcham approved installers will no longer be required to fit them.

Do you know why that is? Is there going to be a body to replace it?