Extra's for fitting Xtrons Headunit

SA95

Reaction score
Just ordered the new xtrons unit from ebay for my A3 black edition (BOSE Speakers)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XTRONS-7...083946?hash=item2862e8506a:g:p1IAAOSwg31acYkl

Does any one have any experience with this particular headunit? Will i need any extra harnesses or noise filters? Hoping this unit will be fine with the rear speakers. Never fitted any headunit before so any help will be much appreciated. Headunit will arrive in the new next few days so would like to get everything I need ready before it arrives

Send back & buy the erisin android 8, better unit.

Send back & buy the erisin android 8, better unit.

Just put a search in for erison and didn't find much for the a3. Checked their website out it's out of stock. Whats the difference if you dont mind me asking? I assumed they were very similar units?

Just ordered the new xtrons unit from ebay for my A3 black edition (BOSE Speakers)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XTRONS-7...083946?hash=item2862e8506a:g:p1IAAOSwg31acYkl

Does any one have any experience with this particular headunit? Will i need any extra harnesses or noise filters? Hoping this unit will be fine with the rear speakers. Never fitted any headunit before so any help will be much appreciated. Headunit will arrive in the new next few days so would like to get everything I need ready before it arrives

Everything you need will be in the box.

The erisin and xtrons units are pretty much identical. I’ve had both, if anything the xtrons is better because it has a blue amp cable to power the Bose amp whereas the erisin doesn’t.

Reactions: SA95
Everything you need will be in the box.

The erisin and xtrons units are pretty much identical. I’ve had both, if anything the xtrons is better because it has a blue amp cable to power the Bose amp whereas the erisin doesn’t.

Was going to ask the same since they all are the same units? Having said that the Xtrons unit I ordered produced terrible sound - I suspect they are prioritising Bose system compatibility over non Bose (my 2005 A3 has a non Bose system with an amplifier in the back).
I ended up returning the unit. Also the fact that the build quality was rather poor.

I fitted the xtrons a couple of weeks ago, literally plug and play and massive improvement in sound quality over the stock symphony headunit.

Only think you will need is the removal keys for the stock system

Was going to ask the same since they all are the same units? Having said that the Xtrons unit I ordered produced terrible sound - I suspect they are prioritising Bose system compatibility over non Bose (my 2005 A3 has a non Bose system with an amplifier in the back).
I ended up returning the unit. Also the fact that the build quality was rather poor.
When was that? The latest batch are really good, I got the quad core Android 7.1 version does everything I want and is easily fast enough, sound is awesome

I’m guessing you might not have set it up correctly because they work for Bose and non Bose without having to modify anything. You just have to connect up the blue amp cable that I mentioned before to activate your rear amp and then everything should just work. You sometimes have to tweak a few factory settings for volume but other than that it should be plug and play

I’m guessing you might not have set it up correctly because they work for Bose and non Bose without having to modify anything. You just have to connect up the blue amp cable that I mentioned before to activate your rear amp and then everything should just work. You sometimes have to tweak a few factory settings for volume but other than that it should be plug and play

I just hooked up the iso connector that came with it. Don’t remember doing anything with the blue amp cable
Where would it go anyway?

Xtrons in my S3 with Bose was terrible - sent it back for a refund.

Xtrons in my R32 (non-Bose) is awesome, love it.

Both Android 8.

I’ll give the S3 another attempt.

Xtrons in my S3 with Bose was terrible - sent it back for a refund.

Xtrons in my R32 (non-Bose) is awesome, love it.

Both Android 8.

I’ll give the S3 another attempt.

What issues did you have with th S3 one that you didnt have with the R32?

Another question....can i use the aux port that came with the car (near the handbrake) with the xtrons? Or will that be useless now

Hi there, the AUX by the handbrake will be surplus once you’ve fitted the Xtrons. You could wire one of the Xtron outputs to the aux.

The issue I had was with the Bose, probably not the HU. I had terrible feedback through the speakers when the car was switched off and a booming noise when the car was running.

The blue wire for the Bose was correctly connected, as was the loom, aerial connectors.

Reactions: SA95
Hi there, the AUX by the handbrake will be surplus once you’ve fitted the Xtrons. You could wire one of the Xtron outputs to the aux.

The issue I had was with the Bose, probably not the HU. I had terrible feedback through the speakers when the car was switched off and a booming noise when the car was running.

The blue wire for the Bose was correctly connected, as was the loom, aerial connectors.

How long ago was this? I read about loads of problems and was prepared for a fair bit of work to fix them but it seems xtrons has ironed them out

I have this one:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-Androi...303837?hash=item283a72f39d:g:DxcAAOSw9EJZrl7r
Aside from the cheap radio keys being made (i assume) by Gillete and putting several neat slices in my chubby little digits, the stereo itself is actually very good.
No additional hardware needed for my Bose to work on all speakers with no interference.
I did also get the DAB aerial which is utter crap, so don't buy one of those! When i was wiring it all in I got reasonable reception, but as soon as the engine is running the signal drops out drastically and the headunit turns into a digital scratch and screech machine. TBF, i think music is going that way, so I may be future proof?!

Interesting thread but here is a question i wonder if any off you can Answer why does the Front speakers av 2 inlets for speaker connections , now i know there is 1 there already but whats the other 1 for as i noticed that some newer doortrim looms have the additional connector but ( what does it do once connected ) pics to follow later

Attachments

• 20180827_000149.jpg
    20180827_000149.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 544
Interesting thread but here is a question i wonder if any off you can Answer why does the Front speakers av 2 inlets for speaker connections , now i know there is 1 there already but whats the other 1 for as i noticed that some newer doortrim looms have the additional connector but ( what does it do once connected ) pics to follow later
I had my front speakers in pieces to re-use the casing as a mount for the aftermarket speakers, the only cable going into them (I can see from the shape of the plug) was the one you have highlighted in that diagram

ufqtT.jpg

How long ago was this? I read about loads of problems and was prepared for a fair bit of work to fix them but it seems xtrons has ironed them out

Feb/Mar this yeah. If you’re non-Bose then I think you’ll be fine. As I said, the unit in my R32 is brilliant.

I had my front speakers in pieces to re-use the casing as a mount for the aftermarket speakers, the only cable going into them (I can see from the shape of the plug) was the one you have highlighted in that diagram

ufqtT.jpg
The one in your pic is from inside the door the 1 i am on about in the other pic i posted comes from the Doortrim Loom .

I have this one:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-Androi...303837?hash=item283a72f39d:g:DxcAAOSw9EJZrl7r
Aside from the cheap radio keys being made (i assume) by Gillete and putting several neat slices in my chubby little digits, the stereo itself is actually very good.
No additional hardware needed for my Bose to work on all speakers with no interference.
I did also get the DAB aerial which is utter ****, so don't buy one of those! When i was wiring it all in I got reasonable reception, but as soon as the engine is running the signal drops out drastically and the headunit turns into a digital scratch and screech machine. TBF, i think music is going that way, so I may be future proof?!

I tried many things to get the dab working properly with the provided glass mount sticky antenna but failed as those antennas are all rubbish for getting a decent reception.

The only way you will get the dab to work properly is if you install an external antenna. This is what i ended up doing, I had to drill a hole in the roof but now I get signal absolutely everywhere and it works perfectly.

The only other option I have seen that is possible that someone on here did a few month ago is to run a cable from the rear windscreen. Apparently there are some spare connections on the rear screen for the aerial when you take the boot trim off etc. This guy used the amplifier and cable from the glass mount antenna and put the amplifier in the boot behind the boot trim and then ran the cable from the amplifier to the front of the car to the dab receiver. He then soldered a cable onto one of the spare aerial connectors on the rear screen and connected the other end of that cable into the amplifier that was part of the glass mount antenna. He reported that this gave very good reception.

Reactions: Daveyonthemove
I have found an existing VAG aerial that carries FM and DAB signals, so I'm planning to remove my existing aerial and fit that instead (hopefully without drilling any holes).
I've been putting it off because.... roof liner.
But it's climbing my to-do list slowly, so watch this space.

I have found an existing VAG aerial that carries FM and DAB signals, so I'm planning to remove my existing aerial and fit that instead (hopefully without drilling any holes).
I've been putting it off because.... roof liner.
But it's climbing my to-do list slowly, so watch this space.

It’s honestly not that bad taking the roof liner off but there is a lot of things to take off and undo.
Are you aware that vag aerials almost always run through an amplifier? So the one you’ve found will more than likely have ran into a dab amplifier before it ran to the headunit, so what I’m saying is I don’t think your method will work unless you’ve bought some sort of dab amplifier from a vag vehicle to try.
Do you have a shark fin on top of your Audi now then? If so you should be able to use the same hole.

I know it’s not the prettiest but this is what I bought and installed and it works flawlessly.
I’ve seen on focus st’s and rs’ that they use the same ones and they don’t really look out of place so that convinced me to do it.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/292603389597

I'll look into the amplifier situation, thanks for letting me know.
Yes it's a shark fin, so it will look identical and OEM.
If I can't get my plan to work i could try your method, but i'd prefer to have a sharkfin if i can.

I'll look into the amplifier situation, thanks for letting me know.
Yes it's a shark fin, so it will look identical and OEM.
If I can't get my plan to work i could try your method, but i'd prefer to have a sharkfin if i can.

That same company i got mine from also do the same thing as a shark fin https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/302771211142
The only reason I didn’t go for one is because the signal reception isn’t quite as good as an actual aerial so I went for signal performance rather than looks.

Damn...i was hoping i could use that as aux input. Also, my car has the audi handsfee bluetooth for calls. Will that also not work with the xtrons?

Damn...i was hoping i could use that as aux input. Also, my car has the audi handsfee bluetooth for calls. Will that also not work with the xtrons?

Factory hands free won’t be used. It’s located under the passengers seat. If you can remove the full kit is should be worth a couple of £’00.

You’ll have a mic on the xtron unit. The built in one is ok’ish but if you’re handy, purchase a microphone with the Xtron (£7) and splice it into the factory mic in the front ceiling light.

Re your Aux, you could splice this into the Xtron aux output too. The thing is, if you have Bluetooth for music streaming why would you want to use the Aux?

Factory hands free won’t be used. It’s located under the passengers seat. If you can remove the full kit is should be worth a couple of £’00.

You’ll have a mic on the xtron unit. The built in one is ok’ish but if you’re handy, purchase a microphone with the Xtron (£7) and splice it into the factory mic in the front ceiling light.

Re your Aux, you could splice this into the Xtron aux output too. The thing is, if you have Bluetooth for music streaming why would you want to use the Aux?

The Aux would be for mates who like to plug their phones in for music. Would rather them using a wire than connected to the headunit with bluetooth. Do you have for a guide on how to do the aux splicing and which wires need to go where?

Na, it’s only 2 or 3 wires so should be straight forward.

Let your mates connect via BT! Just don’t sync their address book!

Gotten around to fitting the unit today. Pretty happy with it so far. Will get the camera installed by a fitter because too much effort and time hiding the wires etc

Biggest issue so far is theres a whiny engine noise through the speaking which gets more annoying the harder you rev the car. Anyome know the easiest way to get rid of it? When music is playing, its fine.

Everything else is spot on. BOSE...steering wheel controls radio, phone, Bluetooth Navigation etc

Gotten around to fitting the unit today. Pretty happy with it so far. Will get the camera installed by a fitter because too much effort and time hiding the wires etc

Biggest issue so far is theres a whiny engine noise through the speaking which gets more annoying the harder you rev the car. Anyome know the easiest way to get rid of it? When music is playing, its fine.

Everything else is spot on. BOSE...steering wheel controls radio, phone, Bluetooth Navigation etc

When you’ve got Bose and one of these cheap units it’s just something you have to put up with.
You can get noise filters which will stop it but then you’ll also reduce the quality of the sound and bass etc.
I’ve just left it and it’s something I’m used to now, I’ve always got something playing so the car is never silent so I don’t notice it.

When you’ve got Bose and one of these cheap units it’s just something you have to put up with.
You can get noise filters which will stop it but then you’ll also reduce the quality of the sound and bass etc.
I’ve just left it and it’s something I’m used to now, I’ve always got something playing so the car is never silent so I don’t notice it.

Yeah its pretty minor and im sure i'll learn to live with it

Another small niggle. Haven't gotten around to installing the reverse camera yeah but everytime i put it into reverse I get a black screen where the reverse camera input in supposed to be. Is there a way of disabling it until I've fitted my camera?

Gotten around to having the reverse camera installed. Works well and although the camera quality is pretty average...it does the job. However sometimes i get these lines across the reason.

20180906 194327

This is the image....all fine

Then this is how it looks with the fussy lines. Sometimes its a lot worse than this
Screenshot 20180907 000858 Gallery

The photo at the top is taking of the camera working in daylight, and the photo below is the camera working at night?
If so, then that is called 'Noise' which is where the camera is working hard to give you visibility in the dark, but struggles.
This is normal, but can be prevented by producing more light in the area.

That isn't low light noise.
How has the camera been wired up

Gotten around to having the reverse camera installed. Works well and although the camera quality is pretty average...it does the job. However sometimes i get these lines across the reason.

View attachment 164810
This is the image....all fine

Then this is how it looks with the fussy lines. Sometimes its a lot worse than this
View attachment 164811

The flicker lines is because its been connected to a canbus monitored power source, you need a capacitor in line to prevent it. If you not sure how to wire up the capacitor you can buy a preassembled rectifier unit for peanuts from china https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/292620269603

Or pick another power source that isn't monitored. I used the wiper motor power but that does have a slight problem in that the screen goes black for a second every time the motor activates and the rear screen wipes :D

The flicker lines is because its been connected to a canbus monitored power source, you need a capacitor in line to prevent it. If you not sure how to wire up the capacitor you can buy a preassembled rectifier unit for peanuts from china https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/292620269603

Or pick another power source that isn't monitored. I used the wiper motor power but that does have a slight problem in that the screen goes black for a second every time the motor activates and the rear screen wipes :D

Yeah its wired to the reverse light. Just ordered that box from a UK seller. Just the last little niggle before im completely satisfied

Reactions: Genius
Apologies, I somehow missed the very think lines across the screen, I only noticed the noise.

Is it advisable to add a RCA ground loop isolator to get rid of the low level whine when no sound is playing? I have heard that for some people it reduces the bass? Love the bass on the system atm so wouldnt want to risk spoiling it for a niggle that i can learn to live with

I fitted the xtrons a couple of weeks ago, literally plug and play and massive improvement in sound quality over the stock symphony headunit.

Only think you will need is the removal keys for the stock system
Hi
Just bought joying radio, not installed yet. Your post make me optimistic. I read a lot of stuff about rear speakers not working, sub and so on. About oem subwoofer is connected to the android unit? If i bypass the oem sub and fit a powered boxed sub connected direct to the headunit will work right?