F1 Season 2009

lil_coz

Reaction score
Hey guys and girls. May as well start a new thread for next year's season! I presonally cant wait for it all to start again. If this year was anything to go by, it will be another cracker. And I cant see any reason why it wont be. Hopefully there wont be any more controversy...

You heard about the line up for the BBC? In the commentary box will be Jonathan Legard and Martin Brundle, in the studio will be Jake Humphrey, David Coulthard and Eddie Jordan, and in the pits will be Ted Kravitz and Lee McKenzie. Murray Walker will be making a regular appearance as well apparently. This all means no more James Allen!! :rockwoot:

Legard and Brundle should make a good job of commentating. I wonder if they'll still have Martin's pit walk. I quite enjoyed that on ITV.

Coss

bye bye james numpty allen. personaly im glad. what a total ******* nob he was.

bye bye james numpty allen.

Hello Lee McKenzie :eyebrows: -

3.jpg

I suppose a change won't hurt, although I liked the ITV team actually, & there coverage was always first class I thought even with the ads, we shall soon see, can't wait for next season though, this one was a cracker, I don't like the look of the new cars but should make for good racing:racer:

Not too keen on those ITV ads moyself, but it was a break to make some Tea during the race haha, it should be good on the Beeb though with no breaks, and of course, no James Allen!. :)

I can not wait for it to go back to the BBC no more ads thank god.

Please Please bring back the chain.....

But before the new season I'm going to get to see Lewis at the Race of Champions!! I can not wait put him the same car a Micheal and lets have a race!!! (THat won't happen but still)

Whats your views on this new medal system that Bernie is pushing for? For those who haven't heard, basically there wont be any more points. It'll be gold, silver and bronze. The driver will the most 'golds' will win the title. He's really pushing for it for next season. His views are that the driver with the most wins deserves to get the championship and not someone who comes in second all the time. He's also saying that people will race for that win rather than settle for 2nd.

Now isnt that contradicting himself? He wanted this new points system when Schumacher was winning the title with 6 odd races left saying that more consistant drivers deserve a go too. I think going back to the old system of 10, 6, 4, 3, 2, 1 will still give more credit to the winner. With the medal system, people will give up if they are any lower than 4th. Weren't there a lot of midfield battles this year? This medal system will make them redundant now surely. Why on earth start changing rules again and run the risk of ruining it all?

The new scoring system is totally stupid imo it is to reward thoose cars that might be fast but unreliable (not mentioning any names) but under the proppessed system Lewis wouldn't have won the title this dispite being more consistant while Massa whos car wasn't as reliable would have how is this going to be fair???

but with the medals at least it makes them race, so in brazil hamilton would have had to massa. Matbe they should introduce the touring car system and give points for fastest lap and ole position.

Put the fastest cars in qualifying in reverse order at the back of the grid! Everyone starts with 10 points, and you gain a point for each place you make, or lose a point for each place you lose, so the front runners could possibly be on minus numbers if they come last! Then we will see some racing! :racer:

I'm off to patent my idea. :)

but with the medals at least it makes them race, so in brazil hamilton would have had to massa. Matbe they should introduce the touring car system and give points for fastest lap and ole position.

I agree. I've looked forward to the idea of a point for pole. Then you see them going flat out rather than going for stratergy.

Put the fastest cars in qualifying in reverse order at the back of the grid! Everyone starts with 10 points, and you gain a point for each place you make, or lose a point for each place you lose, so the front runners could possibly be on minus numbers if they come last! Then we will see some racing! :racer:

I'm off to patent my idea. :)

lol. Dragon's Den? Similar ideas got floated about a few times. I'm not too sure on it tbh. Looking at it from a spectator point of view, you'll have to watch the races with a pad and calculator in hand! You'll also get some serious tactics going on in qualifying too. Would just be too messy.

Coss

I'd ban refulling that will stop some of the tactics, make them build and race the fastest car possible.

I've read that alonso says he may retire if the FIA use a single engine supplier in the future, It'll be a shame because although he can be an **** at times off track, he is a proper racer who will always challenge anyone.

It shouldn't go to a single supplier. Whats going on is that the FIA are in talks with Cosworth for an engine deal for £6m a year as of 2010. That will go ahead if more than 4 teams sign up. Other teams are free to build their own engines as long as its the same spec as the Cossie engine. The deal is there for the teams that cant afford to build and develop their own engines as a lifeline to keep them in the sport. They say that if less that 4 teams sign up, chances are it will still go ahead but prices will change. They have to sign up by the 11th of the month. As of 2010 there will be a standard gearbox as I understand it.

Shame about Honda though. Was interesting to see how they would have done now that Brawn had his influence with the new car. I'd say that Rubens' carreer is now over. Wonder where JB will go.

I can not wait for the new season. The cars look ugly as hell but if they are able to overtake then it will be good. I will be sad to see HONDA go espically as Ross Brawn was about to show his magic with this years car. I hope Jenson gets a drive for next year as he is a very good driver. There is rumours that Brawn might be in talks with FERRARI for their engines. Can not wait for BBC to take over coverage of F1. I hope F1 does not go to a single engine supplier because it would not be F1. but i understand the need to drastically cut costs are else the sport might suffer badly.
I hope to god they bring back The Chain by Fleetwood Mac as the theme song. Roll on March.

Its roundy roundy racing and has become basically a high speed procession.
A friend of mine who used to be the gearbox tech for redbull F1 once commented that F1 is just a rich mans scalextric and its more about the sponsors than the racing.
F1 started to go downhill when they grooved the tyres to slow them down because aerodynamics and technical advancecs became more important than driver skill.
I am old enough to remember Formula 500, a racing car with a 5.0 litre V8 behind the driver, now that took skill to drive because of the power to weight ratio, banned because it was too dangerous.
What about group B rally cars? Rs200's and the like. Banned because they were too dangerous.

Lets face it, we watch car racing to see the crashes, its a boring race when there isn't any.

Bernie is coming up with some odd stuff at the moment. First the single engine supplier thing, which in my mine goes against the F1 priciple. F1 is not just about racing it is about the whole team effort, who can get the best starting point for the start of the season and then who can wring the best out of it. Also the medal system in crap, they should stick with the points system. With the medal system all the top teams will do is build a car to be amazing on a certain type of circuit and point all their resources at those few circuits then make the other races just a billboard drive for their sponsors.

I hope JB gest a drive, I think he should have gone to McLaren instead of Hieki.

its like everything else in this world, the people heading F1 all want 'control'....give me an example of something on this planet where someone isn't trying for MORE control..... its stupid but we are heading towards a world of predictability purely because people insist on micro managing absolutely everything

slight bit of stereo typing there for ya :)

lol. I'm waiting to see what happens in this meeting that they've got coming up. See what 'cost cutting' measures they'll come up with. Apparently Honda piled £200m into next season's car where as the other big players were around the £140m mark. How bad must it be for them to pull out after so much investment into next year's car? I mean for the first time since they joined the sport, there is (was) a light at the end of the tunnel!

yup will be interesting to see what they come up with, the ITV situation looks good, just hope they don't do sumat stupid for the sport and introduce some daft rules that they have been talking about...... some things should be just left alone

After this meeting that they had, apparently they have come to an agreement and it will 'change the face of F1'. They wont release what the changes will be until tomorrow. Now I'm intrigued. It was ment to be the most productive meeting ever and costs will come down to what they were in the 1990's. Hmmmm :think:

wasn'r something mentioned about 1.8l engines ? I hope they don't go single engine supplier otherwise it will be A1 GP and I don't find that interesting. They should have free reign on the engines and be able to use whatever capacity they want but limit them to a set BHP and fuel tank with no refuling and minimise the aero package, yes its expensive but it always has been and I really dislike the tactical game with over taking only happening in the pits. I bet running an F1 team is cheaper than a football team, where are all the shakes when you need them !

wasn'r something mentioned about 1.8l engines ? I hope they don't go single engine supplier otherwise it will be A1 GP and I don't find that interesting. They should have free reign on the engines and be able to use whatever capacity they want but limit them to a set BHP and fuel tank with no refuling and minimise the aero package, yes its expensive but it always has been and I really dislike the tactical game with over taking only happening in the pits. I bet running an F1 team is cheaper than a football team, where are all the shakes when you need them !

I'm not sure if it costs £150-200m to run a football club on a regular basis,but this does seem to be about the current budget for a front running F1 team.

I agree that a single engine supplier does take a lot of what F1 is about away from the sport,and quite honestly the last few years have just seen it bogged down with more and more rules.

It was much more fun back in the old 1.5 turbo days,and a good deal cheaper in real terms.

They should have free reign on the engines and be able to use whatever capacity they want but limit them to a set BHP and fuel tank with no refuling and minimise the aero package, yes its expensive but it always has been and I really dislike the tactical game with over taking only happening in the pits.

Looks like the FIA have heard your cry! Refuelling is banned as of 2010 and tyre warmers are also banned. Not too sure on that one. Could be dangerous in the first couple of laps especially if its cold weather. Would definately spice up that first lap! Also ban on mid season testing to bring costs down. I'm looking forward to 2010 already! This no fuel should be good. Test of driver skill as the car will never be the same throughout the whole race.

not sure about the tyre warms .. although its probably going to be like when rain falls.. it might sort the best from the very best out.

loving the 'no fuel' rule.... as said it will stop tactics which is really annoying when somebody wins without actually deserving it!!! several times that happend last season, will also stop what happend to Massa happening again.....

I'm hoping that a tyre warmer ban wont lead to lots of crashes ont he first corner - otherwise we get to see lots of tedious pace car parade laps

Some of these rules changes are OTT IMO. The no re-fueling thing will remove some of the drama and uncertainty of the racing. The fact that the whole team are under pressure on race day was one of the things I loved.
1animal1, how can you say people win if they do not deserve it, there have been several incidents where very [FONT=&quot]intelligent[/FONT] tactical choices by drivers (Kimi and Alonso both have done it) gave them the win. This shows excellent decision making under extreme pressure. I love F1, but I am unsure some of these rule changes will make the racing any better.

John, racing is racing.....how can you say a driver deserves to win because he managed to get into the pits to change fuel before it closes...and ultimately win the race when for most of it hes been tagging tenth (or whatever place)...... if they cant win whilst racing they shouldnt be allowed to win.....hence forth why tactics are an element that need taking out - yes it makes it more intersting, but the extreme cases lead to someone winning that has pretty much jumped the queue which ISN'T racing as we know it - its damn right crafty and lucky

Fair comment on the safety car re-fueling rubbish. I have always thought that was really unfair, as if you were liucky enough to be near the pits when the safety car comes out you have an advantage. I just think that re-fueling during a normal pit adds another level of complexity and team work to the whole pit situation. F1 as a a team sport and the driver is just one part (although very important part) of the team.

i know what your saying John, i personally would like it more driver orientated, but thats just me and think thats opinions will vary quite a bit.

although admittedly will miss the refuelling as the cars are going to be bricks at the start

Hey guys. Hows the new year treating you so far?

Anyone else having withdrawal symptoms? Not long left I suppose! From what I've read, McLaren are going to be the team to beat this year. Should be a good one. I think the rule changes for this year have deafinately been in the right direction. Really looking forward to this season. And the cars look a lot better than what I thought they would! Apart from the BMW's which look like a box! lol This whole KERS thing is confusing me a little. Not all teams will run it... wont they be at a disadvantage? I suppose the first race will give us an idea of how close the top teams will be. If this season will be anything like last season, then it'll be another cracker!

Coss

I'm also looking forward to it starting again as I'm off to Melbourne for the first race :yahoo:Just over 6 weeks until I go.

I'll remember to post some pictures on this thread when I'm over there for you all to see.

I'm a Ferrari fan myself so I'll be cheering for the prancing horse all the way.

I was not too sure of the changes at the end of last season, but the dramatic changes have added to the excitement to see who has done what!! Whos car will be fast, will one of the usual mid runners come up trumps (Williams and Toyota might have come up trumps with their 'shaped' rear crash structures), will Ferarri ansd McLaren be at the pointy end?

Cos, some of the manufacturers decided that they did not have the knowledge base or the resources to develop KERS so decieded that they would be faster by putting all their resources into 'traditional' developement rather than run a slower (due to reduced traditional development) car with a potentially unreliable KERS. Apparently McLaren spent £60m on developing their KERS and some teams just can't afford it.

I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, can't wait, hope this KERS system brings more overtaking into the races, it's going to be like having a 'Turbo Boost' button during the race, but it's limited to 80bhp extra(max) for the first half of the season apparently, then going upto 120bhp by the end of the season once everyone is upto speed and use to the system.

I'm also looking forward to it starting again as I'm off to Melbourne for the first race :yahoo:Just over 6 weeks until I go.

You lucky sod! No wonder you're jumping up and down! I'm sure you'll have a great time.

So all this KERS stuff should spice things up. I've also read that they've brought back adjustable front wings but they can only be moved by the driver with buttons on the wheel and that they might even go to automatic movable/adjustable aero. It's funny how they've started bringing things back that they've banned years ago to make the racing better. Hopefully it'll work.

Coss