Facelift Dumbo Mirrors Fitted - Guide

maybe it would be easier to see how they are wired on the seat leon on 2006 onwards as they fold in and out automatically when you put the key in the ignition , so all they would need is a feed from maybe the interior light sensing circuit ,as they come on when you unlock the car and go off a few seconds after locking it

just a thought ?

A little update...
i originally had the mirrors installed as per OEM to fold on the switch with the correct door modules i then changed it to fold on lock which bypasses the door modules altogether, so seeing as i no longer needed the highline modules i exchanged them with someone who needed the highline ones... this was fine until i recently wanted to fold the mirror manually so I have been working on a solution to get the 'Auto' Folding mirrors to also have a manual button to fold it should i need to around the country lanes i drive around everyday.

Seeing as i don't have the highline modules the only options were to get the original switch to work which would take a lot of work or buy another highline door module. i didnt want to do either but i did already have a spare button in the car which i knew i could use for this purpose:

73c31d09.jpg

So i designed a circuit with some relays that would allow the mirrors to fold on lock as well as the switch when in the car... and after a few hours this is what i have got working:

Reactions: Artimus and ScottD3
nicely sorted although i do have an aftermarket module for that . bought it a few years ago for the old a3 i had and never got round to fitting it . i love the car logo on that switch though .

That's cool I'm currently doing my write up to show how to get the actual switch in the door to fold them in so its like oem I'll post a link when it's ready cool looking switch though if have done the same but have no free spaces.

I already have the OEM solution too, as i said i didnt want to spend the money myself.
When i next get a folding mirror customer il get a video for you guys.

price was 250 for the pair plus vat ,no idea what the going price is for them is that ok?

You can get them cheaper on Ebay if you're going to get them painted anyway. When you say chrome, do you mean the S3 Mirrors? if so, £250 is cheap. But if you want a cheaper option, on ebay they're around £60-80 per mirror. Buy them Individually, make sure you buy 3 door ones for a 3 door and 5 door ones for a 5 door as the bases are a bit different.

i got offered a set off 2009 chrome mirrors with the inbuilt indicators would these fit a 2006 Sline?

I'm pretty sure you'll need to update the door modules for the indicators on the mirrors to work... Or take a tap off the indicator on the wing..

I wouldnt think its a straight forward job to just fit them..

It s a straight swap and will fit the car. The indicator however will need to be wired in to get it to work but in a 2006 he will have indicators in the wings unless he facelifts his car

Does somebody knows for sure if 3 door and 5 door mirror set (like base, caps etc.) fits on both versions? If think they don't can you give some photos or examples what is different? I think they must be the same.

Although they have different part numbers I am still yet to find out what the difference is as I haven't had a problem fitting mirrors even though i have had customers that bought 3 door mirrors for their 5 door

I managed to find a really good deal on a pair of Auto-dimming and power folding facelift 'Dumbo' mirrors on ebay, and to my surprise they turned up this morning when they were meant to come on Monday, so i went about fitting them today. I had already fitted some dumbo mirrors a couple months back but hadn't taken any pictures of the install. Now that I was changing the mirrors over I took some pics and thought i would write up a how to.

So firstly the door card needs to come off. there are 4xtorx20 screws holding the door card on that need to be taken out, 2 underneath the door card on either side of the puddle light, one just above the door pocket and one behind a piece of trim, as mine is a sportback i just needed to remove trim around the central lock button to get to the torx screw.

8fa89ef5.jpg

59f470fe.jpg

once all 4 screws are out i gently but firmly pulled the door card away from the car starting at the bottom and then lifted it off the window edge (it helps to have the window down when doing this). As you take the card off there are a few connectors and the lock handle cable that need to be disconnected before the door card will come off.
you should then have this (the yellow cable hanging towards the right side is the locking handle cable)

51fa19c7.jpg

then 2 pieces of trim need to be removed to access the mirror bolt

58d1833f.jpg

70b9f3d6.jpg

36bb4e81.jpg

now before removing the bolt i needed to free the wiring harness for the mirror so that it will come out easily. First I disconnected the mirror plug connector from the door control module (i will explain later what that extra black wire is) and then i needed to remove the grommet on the left hand side so that the wires are free.

851d90f5.jpg

670e64e2.jpg

now as the grommet is fairly lage it would have been hard to get it out of the small gap that that leads up to the mirror so i went about disconnecting the pins from the connector and removed the grommet from the loom. I took pictures of the pin locations so that i knew what pin goes back to its location after i take the mirror out to put them all back in the right places.

5fb570d3.jpg

cb641cb4.jpg

1fddf3d4.jpg

db59bf00.jpg

I then removed the bolt from the door and removed the existing mirror and pulled the harness out with it, then it was a case of putting the new mirror in the reverse order of what i had just done. I again removed all the pins from the new mirror base so that i could feed the harness down the door skin without the grommet being in the way.

8064d4dc.jpg

4c919156.jpg

once the harness was in place and the new mirror base bolted back onto the car i then fed the wires back into the grommet and then repinned the connector. now you can see i have more pins on this connector as its also got the power folding pins in place.

i then just connected it all back up as it was before.
Now there was an extra black wire that i mentioned earlier... I didnt bother buying a new door module for the LED indicators to work so i ran a wire from the existing wing indicator to the mirror harness connector and fed it onto pin 13. this would allow the mirror indicator to work along with the wing indicator. I will be getting the wing indicator removed and the hole flushed so it looks like the 8P3 wing.

5d444f08.jpg

since all of that was connected and it worked nicely i put the door card back on and the work on the drivers side was done.

5cb5df88.jpg

here you can see the line on the mirror glass for the auto dimming glass

5234d074.jpg

I repeated all of the above on the passenger side to complete the job.

by this time it was already dark (short cold winter days) and i was freezing so i called it a day. I need to order some repair wires so that i can connect up the wing mirrors to the rear view mirror so that the auto dimming feature will work. I also need to order a new mirror adjuster with the power folding button so that function will work. So i will be going back to this next week after i have all the bits to complete the install.
Will update this thread next week when the bits turn up.

Have you managed to do this without having to leave the old side repeaters in? When they blow thats going to be a pain to change otherwise? Thanks

I have just completed this upgrade on 3DR 07 S3. Upgraded door modules to revision N with MY09 non folding mirrors. There are less pins to swap over for the 3 door, but all swapped over perfectly and coded correctly. Just normal electric and heated mirrors. I will upload a more clear pin out diagram on Monday.

Im not looking to upgrade door modules, just wire the mirrors but must be a way with out leaving the old repeaters taped up in the wing, thats botch and a pain if they blow, Im selling the car now so not looking on spending money on modules etc. Thanks.

The car in question is my image, just been using for the past 3 years with no indicators in the mirrors lol :)

Just pull them through to the plenum chamber, tape up & disable sides with vcds.

Im not a tech person mate so thats Spanish to me? :flush:

I think you're saying to code the side repeaters as deactivated and pull them through the sides? The side repeaters are powering the daft big facelift mirrors. I just don't want to have to leave the side repeaters in, if you remove the power goes and a fault appears, down the line they will blow and a error bulb warning will appear? It can be done as My mate had his done last month but sold the car before I could take it apart to look. I have seen on a German youtube video, I tutorial where they used some fancy fake side repeater, this would be perfect as it would always be shown as working and no worries. I have tried a resistor for the power load but nothing. Thanks

:audibash:

Okkkkk, gotcha, then pull the wires into the plenum area so easy access should a bulb blow & leave like this, you could always wire a resistor to the rating of the bulb - the led load, across the circuit, this would do the same, but you'll need to work out the resistor rating 1st.

Reactions: Ash187
Is the plenum the footwell area? Also I've tried a resistor but from the live side of the indicator leaving the bulb out and tried the earth side on the remaining other 2 wires that control the LED but nothing. Do you know what the fake bayonet bulbs are that are resistors I take it, ? Seen them online on youtube.

Although they have different part numbers I am still yet to find out what the difference is as I haven't had a problem fitting mirrors even though i have had customers that bought 3 door mirrors for their 5 door

Thread revival...

I have been trying this mod today, and it's just not happening for me. I haven't changed the door modules just yet, so just done what you did initially. With the extra wire. The old Wing indicators had two wires connected to them. A brown one, and a green and black one (I actually took the indicator off so just have the wires from the wing indicator there because I've got the facelift wings). Now I connected a wire from each of them individually as well as trying them together (so I connected an extra wire to the green and black one first (no result), then the brown one, again no result, then altogether and same, nothing happens.

The wire I connected them too, was the yellow wire that goes into Pin 13... Nothing happens
The connecter that actually goes into the LED light has the yellow wire from pin 13 connecting to it, and the blue and black wire from pin 11

So I spliced the blue and black wire too and tried connecting the extra wire to this wire. Again, nothing happens.

Then I tried connecting the extra wire to Pin 13 wire and pin 11 wire together, nothing happens.

Please help :(

I'm beginning to think that the Led light in the mirror doesn't work?

You need to leave the original indicators in place with the bulb otherwise you will get a bulb out error.
Then you need to join onto the positive wire and attach that to pin 13 on the mirror plug. Only 1 wire is needed not both

You need to leave the original indicators in place with the bulb otherwise you will get a bulb out error.
Then you need to join onto the positive wire and attach that to pin 13 on the mirror plug. Only 1 wire is needed not both

I got it to work, but after about 8 flickers of the indicator, it turns off. I'll have to upload a video to show you. And the bodywork idiot chopped the old indicator bulb off and just left me with the wires, when I gave him specific instructions to just leave it. So do you suggest I get another indicator bulb and connect it back up? If you could show me a picture of how its supposed to be, that will be good please. (Meaning, the bulb for the wing indicators, on the wires) Thanks

You can hear the long fault beep... is that for the indicators? as i said your wing indicator needs to be in place with a bulb for it to work.

Thread revival...

I have been trying this mod today, and it's just not happening for me. I haven't changed the door modules just yet, so just done what you did initially. With the extra wire. The old Wing indicators had two wires connected to them. A brown one, and a green and black one (I actually took the indicator off so just have the wires from the wing indicator there because I've got the facelift wings). Now I connected a wire from each of them individually as well as trying them together (so I connected an extra wire to the green and black one first (no result), then the brown one, again no result, then altogether and same, nothing happens.

The wire I connected them too, was the yellow wire that goes into Pin 13... Nothing happens
The connecter that actually goes into the LED light has the yellow wire from pin 13 connecting to it, and the blue and black wire from pin 11

So I spliced the blue and black wire too and tried connecting the extra wire to this wire. Again, nothing happens.

Then I tried connecting the extra wire to Pin 13 wire and pin 11 wire together, nothing happens.

Please help :(

I'm beginning to think that the Led light in the mirror doesn't work?
Yes you have to leave a bulb in and thats annoying as its going to blow at some point and then you have to fanbny about taking things apart. It can be done without the bulb being in and Im waiting on the info from a friend who had his done with resistors, I also seen a video on youtube where some German modded a golf and replaced the side repeaters with some fake ones that was just white but must of been some fancy resistor tricking the car the bulb was in.

Please does anybody know if 3door facelift sino mirrors fits on a facelift Sportback? I've made a mistake and I Bought a pair of wing mirrors from a facelift 3 door and mine is Sportback.
Thanks in advance

Happy New year for everybody!!

Bases are a different angular shape, they will fit but won't fit correctly.

Hi, sorry for the necro post, but I need help.

I'm trying to retrofit folding mirrors and found your old topic. I have audi a4 b6, but it should not be a huge difference I think.

I have two questions on this scheme:

http://www.carcajou.de/howto/spiegel/R361Var1v1.1.jpg
  1. As I understand my mirrors (as a3) does not have controller, required to wire up "Relay 361 RA (14)" pin. So it should be left empty?
  2. Which wire is "safe"? Is it PIN3 wire from door lock module, or it comes into door control module?
Thank you!

Is there a post that wraps everything into a summary with the coding?

It's quite a long read, appreciate the work put in however!