Facelift LED DRL with Xenon Query

NHN

Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat
Site Sponsor
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Guys as you're aware the led drl's are on the xenon headlight cars.

What I'd like to know is, if you have these headlights with auto headlights feature, do you have a drl switch to turn the drl's on/off located on the headlight switch, if so pics please of the headlight switch.

Nigel, I have the setup you describe and there is no separate DRL position on the lighting switch. There are OFF - AUTO - PARKING LIGHTS - HEADLIGHTS positions. When the switch is in the OFF position the DRLs are also switched off. When the switch is in the AUTO position the DRLs are always on and the Headlights come on if it is dark enough. In the other two positions the appropriate lights come on and the DRLs stay on as well. Below is a photo of my switch. If you need any more info, let me know.

Lighting switch.JPG

Cheers Dave, just what I wanted to know, so it would be the case of the drl's are not switchable on the facelift cars, only switchable on the prefacelift which is why the TT 8J2941531E version works in my car, strange why they didnt allow it switchable for facelifts tbh mate, very strange.

I would imagine Audi aren't planning to change the interior of the FL car especially switches for at least 2 years which would tie in to the new rule about having DRL on all new cars from 2012 and therefore not allowing the driver to turn them off

Last edited:
That may be so but I can turn my DRLs off at the moment if I want to. All I have to do is move the switch from the Auto position where I normally leave so that my DRLs are on all the time to the Off position.

Nigel, this may be pointless but on my A4 I have the same switch and the lights work the same as Dave R has said, however, I can control whether the DRL's are on or off through the MMI screen. It may therefore be the case that the DIS function on the A3 may have this option which can be enabled with VCDS?. Just a thought!

Neil

As always Neil your posts are very useful fella, maybe Dave can check whilst I go check my 09 DIS aswell, brb................................................

Yeah its in the DIS but bit of a ball breaker to go through & change, kinda pointless but hey someone will like it.

I wonder huh Dave if we were to plug the 8J2 switch into your car if you could then use the drl on/off dial as it uses the same 7 pin connector for dash lights & drl switch, maybe you can pull your switch out for us & advise or post a pic fella of the connections then I can check elsa to see if its been wired for drl switch, call it curiosity fella, may even send a switch to you to test, if its wired, cause its definitely in elsa from when I wired mine in for bixenons, I added 1 wire & it worked when coded & thats a facelift switch aswell huh.

Last edited:
I was looking through my DIS menu earlier to find the service position for the wipers and I don't remember seeing anything about the DRLs. I will have another look tomorrow and also try and get the light switch out and take a picture. Mind you I tried once before to check on the part number on the switch for someone and it did not seem to want to budge. But tomrrow I have to take the fuse board cover off to connect up a TomTom so I may be able to give it a helping hand from inside the dash.

Takes a bit of effort tbh mate as I did it & only after a few tugs here & there it eventually came out, assuming you know the procedure already mate to unlock the switch from front?

Nah fella, you have drl switch on yours nate as do I, Dave's doesnt, so different slightly, I'm intrigued now if the facelift led drl would work via the switch now if fitted & wired, should do as mine do & wasnt wired until I modded.

Well I've taken my light switch out and it's part no: 8P2 919 093.

I have also taken a couple of pictures showing the connectors but the only one that I can match the wire to the terminals is the long thin one which I think is related to the instrument lighting control. The small one at the botton seems to be related to the coming home finction switch and the other one to the main lighting switch.

The colours on the long thin one are 1-Grey, 2-Grey/Green, 3-no wire, 4-no wire, 5-brown, 6-Grey/Blue, 7-Grey/Blue.

Don't know if this helps... If your need more I can take the switch out again and try and get more info on the main switch wires although most are hidden inside the connector.

Lighting switch-02.jpg

Lighting switch-03.jpg

Last edited:
That part number is for the intrument lighting switch, there should be another label stuck to the rounded backside of the switch & have 941531 in it.

I reckon if you added a wire in pin 4 as I did & code then you may get drl function on/off via switch mate, speculative but worked for me, have a word with Elsawin & see what she says fella.

Yes I had a look at EKTA after posting my last post and realised that the part number was just for the instrument lighting switch. Don't remember seeing any other label but I will have another look out of interest.

I'm not wishing to make any changes to my setup as it works just as I want it. I leave the main switch in AUTO unless it's pouring with rain or similar and I need to overide the Auto sensor. In AUTO my DRLs are on all the time which is just as I want it.

Last edited:
My new car is the same as these guys, but i have expericance with a car that had Xenons & LED DRLs without AUTO lights/wipers and it had a different switch. Which was labled as follows:

OFF > DRL > SIDELIGHTS > HEADLIGHTS

This switch worked as follows:

OFF 0 - Nothing on
DRL - LEDs were on at full brightness and would dim on indication (No rearlights)
SIDELIGHTS - LEDs would DIM snd rearlight would switch on
HEADLIGHTS - Xenons switched on in addition to SIGLIGHTS

On MY current car i have OFF - AUTO - SIDELIGHTS - HEADLIGHTS

OFF 0 - Nothing on (Overides AUTO functions)
AUTO - in bright condtions the DRLS are a full brightness as per DRL above but if trigged by the light/rain sensor will switch the headlights on (which i feel is too sensitive) Essentialy driver has no control of DRL's in there full brightness condition!
SIDELIGHTS - As above overifing AUTO functions
HEADLIGHT - As above overiding AUTO functions

One thing i would like to point out is that my AUTO switch "DOES NOT" have the button for coming home lights like the one above, they are controlled purely from the DIS. I also have no control of the DRLS in the DIS.

bf46f306.jpg

Hope this helps.

Last edited: