Facelift S3 front Retrofit

hatmeow

Turbo is the only way....
Reaction score
Guys,

Has anyone done the retrofit for the new 2009 S3 front on their 08 or prior A3/S3? I have done the prefactlift S3 front on my A3 sportback not long ago but the 2009 facelifted S3 is growing on me...

What parts does it involve? Obviously the new lights, new bumper, new mirrors, and the grill but will I need a new hood? new wings? Other mods?

Parts Lists perhaps? Prices?

Thanks in advance!!!

Me and Jordan had a think about doing it, we prices it up to £3k+ once you have bought the parts, had them fitted and painted..

Not worth it IMO, never mind the potential operational complications with the new headlights..

new bumper, lights, grill, bonnet, wings, mirrors, maybe front frame for the headlight fixings as they are slightly different shape, not sure about fogs have to check etka, I thought about then decided to just do the pre-facelift which I'm just waiting for my poxy optik grill still not delivered since last thursday, I actually got the new wing mirror covers with led flashers but still hunting down the actual mechanics & glass.

Oh add new door modules to that aswell, I have just got a J version & it is wired differently & will of course cater for the mirror indicators, you could wire in the wing flashers to the led mirror ones, with some wiring & maybe resistors etc would work.

Anyone who pays to have those mirrors is mad!!

So you also need new mechanics for the new mirrors... Ouch... How much is the whole set of new mirrors going to cost??

NHN... you sure that the new wings are needed? Looks like the same shape where it meets the headlights when comparing the new and the old...

Well from what I saw of the new lights they look slightly flatter & longer only by a very small amount so wings do look like need aswell, but thats not to say you couldnt rework your existing wings to fit better, hey you never know it might not even be noticeable.

I have to admit the only thing on the golf 6 I like is the mirrors, lol, apart from this its a golf 5.

the new s3 is 1cm longer than the old one so depending on where they've stuck the 1cm you may need the 1cm you may need the new front wings. it is highly likely that they've moved the front reinforcement bar forward.

if you do need new front wings then you will also need the new mirrors as the new wings don't have holes for the indicators.

I just bought an 06 A3 2.0T and want to change only the front end to the S3 bumper and head lights...

Is this as simple as swapping my existing parts or are there other modifications involved?

My goal is to keep this as simple as possible...

I appreciate any advice...very little experience with this sort of thing!

I just bought an 06 A3 2.0T and want to change only the front end to the S3 bumper and head lights...

Is this as simple as swapping my existing parts or are there other modifications involved?

kinda like this, but buy the S3 parts insted of the s-line and you wont need to change the bonnet:

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=54571

Well swapping parts over mostly but depends on the headlights you have now if they're xenon or not, what type, the controller in car etc, as for front bumper, you're gonna need to get your hands dirty, take of wheel arch lining realistically to make life easier, possibly trim the front reinforcement bar at the bottoms to fit round the new bigger fog areas, if you have washer system for headlights you have to replace the hose as existing might not be long enough, but maybe ok cause facelift 1 version anyway with large grill, so variables need to be considered, its fairly easy to do but time consuming as you cant just slap it on & hope for the best, you have to take your time & check everything as you go like lights before you put things in place so not having to take of again cause of a silly mistake, if you catch my drift

Well swapping parts over mostly but depends on the headlights you have now if they're xenon or not, what type, the controller in car etc, as for front bumper, you're gonna need to get your hands dirty, take of wheel arch lining realistically to make life easier, possibly trim the front reinforcement bar at the bottoms to fit round the new bigger fog areas, if you have washer system for headlights you have to replace the hose as existing might not be long enough, but maybe ok cause facelift 1 version anyway with large grill, so variables need to be considered, its fairly easy to do but time consuming as you cant just slap it on & hope for the best, you have to take your time & check everything as you go light lights before you put things in place so not having to take of again cause of a silly mistake, if you catch my drift

well i thought it was really easy as i changed my bumper to the sline one so i thought the s3 bumper would have been the same

From what & was yours already one piece grill?

Sorry do you mean the new 09 S3 facelift or the pre-09 S3?

Cause the new S3 would be even more work than the pre-09

mine was the double grill, i did a conversion to the sline bumper, if i wanted i could have done it to a s3 one, i am pretty sure its the same amount of work involved

I did say it was easy, but time consuming & dont rush it & test everything, if you dont have headlight washers then its almost same as sline, you have to trim the front bar more than sline, also I suggest you screw up the grill onto bumper with all the holes not just 3 screws they say in etka, plus glue over the screws as over time I could see road vibrations making them loosen up

now the skirts are a different story & another day

I did say it was easy, but time consuming & dont rush it & test everything, if you dont have headlight washers then its almost same as sline, you have to trim the front bar more than sline, also I suggest you screw up the grill onto bumper with all the holes not just 3 screws they say in etka, plus glue over the screws as over time I could see road vibrations making them loosen up

now the skirts are a different story & another day
i thought that the sline reiforcement bar was exaclty the same as the s3 one?oh and by the why is it possible to PM with the total cost of the s3 conversion you have done,

no cause its not finished, lol, its the skirts that seem to cost more & more cause number of parts needed that you wouldnt think & I didnt think would be needed to replace, oh well **** happens

no cause its not finished, lol, its the skirts that seem to cost more & more cause number of parts needed that you wouldnt think & I didnt think would be needed to replace, oh well **** happens

no problem lol, did you source your parts from the dealers? do you think these prices are about right from the dealers?

S3 fog each £57.35 x 2
S3 fog surround each £20.54 x 2
S3 fog back each £12.69 x 2
Fog plugs each £5.72 x 2
Fog repair wires each about £5.00 x 2
S3 silver grill £134.80
S3 bumper £230.96
S3 badge £9.66
votex side skirts £320
votex roof spolier £120

what i am looking for is the approx prices for the rear bumper including the lower rear valanve
complete rear bumper £???

any ideas? also have i missed out any parts?

skirts seem expensive as mine were less, grill is very cheap TBH, fogs can get cheaper on fleabay, might also be able to get grill cheaper I'll see what I can do if like, spoiler maybe cheaper, but need new bottom of door trims as they are wider, also new sills as current ones well mine cant be put over the skirts, rear couldnt say as I got an invisible towbar so went with sline rear as no s3 rear with tbar, all other trims etc are ok, didnt bother with badge as only wanted the look not the label.

cheers mate, the skirts are the vortex ones, you think they are a bit too much from the dealers? i searched every where for them and only the dealers can get them,

ah yeah sorry (ref votex) same as Matt's so sills will probably be ok, I'll bell him & ask for yer & update asap.

***** maybe should have gone votex myself, oh well would have saved me fair bit, but alas

ok thanks mate, and when you bell him ask him if he can get the all the parts for me which i listed, he sold me all the parts for the sline conversion i did, so ask him if he get them parts for me on his trade discount, cheers mate

Well nothing new there, the front bar doesnt need a rectangle cut out, just a straight angel from the side up about 1 inch & angled straight across about 10-15cm's to the bottom, on each side that is so misses the fog area, never did like those stupid eye brows they stick on top of lights, but apart from that same as mine, oh also dont bother using a dremel, not really man enough for job, just get a grinder be of in literally a minute.

Only thing I cant see point of is swapping from an SLine to S3 I mean his car doesnt look that much different, upto him of course but I went from double grill to single so distinctly different, waste of money tbh cause he had black grill already anyway.

A very good morning! I was looking thru this post, and I am also very much interested in doing the 2009 facelift of the S3 on my pre-facelift A3 2.0 TDI - even though i know it may cost a lot.

From what i was reading there was a lot of advise but no concrete result from the thread from someone who has successfully done the conversion?. Was it concluded that it in fact WAS Possible?

so to summarize the questions:

1. Is it possible to do the upgrade?
2. Does anyone have the list of parts to buy from the dealer?
3. An estimation of the cost (less important)

looking forward to your reply as the car is for my wife and i would love to do something nice for her,.. :)

I have a 2009 Rear bumper if any1 is interested!!it is complete with rear valence and can get the bumper support bar aswell, ring me on 07748 271 715 if you want it.

has anybody checked if the chassis's are the same? If yes, I guess if its just bolt on parts then anything is possible. There's one breaking on ebay at the moment.

To do the facelift conversion you'll need the bumper, wings, bonnet, lights and wing mirrors. perhaps front panel aswell. also i heard you may need the new undertray but again im not so sure. For the lights i asked around and heard that you can get a hold of a converter for the pin plug in but this might be Bull***t lol i'll let you know if i find out where to get it from of if it is possible.

thanks Pontias. I guess no one has ever done this upgrade from Pre-09 to facelift 2009, so its a black hole. I am willing to make the jump and try it. If i do I shall post pics and stuff here. But i will still need all your help cause however determined I am I am still a beginner.

So if it is a risk, I wonder if audi will accept all the parts back within say 7 days if it all doesnt work?

It won't be cheap. One of the guys on here looked into it, the parts list was quite entensive...
Wings, mirrors, bonnet, front bumper, grills, foglights, headlamps, headlamp controllers, fitting and painting. It was somewhere in the region of £3K IIRC