Facelift S3 Matrix Retrofit

larsmate

Reaction score
Seeking info on what's involved in swapping out the standard LED headlights with Matrix LED headlights on a facelift S3. I'm able to source RHD 8V0941784A headlights with "all modules and blocks". My car has Active Lane Assist, ACC, Traffic Jam Assist etc so I think I have that aspect covered. A couple of things I'm not sure about are whether the FL has the required number of level sensors (one at each corner) and the required wiring. Seller says plug and play but wanted to check with someone who's done this retrofit (I couldn't find anyone on this forum). Obviously need to register the new modules with VCDS and possibly a dealer calibration. Anything else?

Reactions: AudiLeon96
I'm not sure what you mean by "all modules and blocks" but doesn't the matrix system also rely on some sort of camera located behind the rearview mirror?

Apologies if the aforementioned "modules and blocks" comprises of this :thumbs up:

Seeking info on what's involved in swapping out the standard LED headlights with Matrix LED headlights on a facelift S3. I'm able to source RHD 8V0941784A headlights with "all modules and blocks". My car has Active Lane Assist, ACC, Traffic Jam Assist etc so I think I have that aspect covered. A couple of things I'm not sure about are whether the FL has the required number of level sensors (one at each corner) and the required wiring. Seller says plug and play but wanted to check with someone who's done this retrofit (I couldn't find anyone on this forum). Obviously need to register the new modules with VCDS and possibly a dealer calibration. Anything else?
Why didn't you configure them on your car in the first place or have you got the car used?l lot of money and work to retro fit these headlights, l have them and to be honest they're OK but nothing extraordinary that l would go to all the hassle and expense to have them retro fitted

I'm not sure what you mean by "all modules and blocks" but doesn't the matrix system also rely on some sort of camera located behind the rearview mirror?

Apologies if the aforementioned "modules and blocks" comprises of this :thumbs up:
No worries that's why I said I have Traffic Jam Assist, it requires the A5 camera as does Matrix.

Reactions: reefer110
I too would be very interested in the possibility of being able to retro fit matrix lights in place of the standard LED lights fitted to my car. Having driven a couple of cars with Matrix lights I was very impressed.

In reply to Jassy0O6, I would have speced them for my car had I been able to, unfortunately, the option was not available at time of ordering.

It is possible. However its a lot of work.

- second height sensor
- calibration
- re-parametrise the 4B or 55
- cables/connectors/pins etc need to be adjusted or added.
- coding

Considering the price of the the RHD matrix lights brand new from online sellers with warranty is around $1300 USD it would seem worth it if someone could figure out the details. Kufatec do a matrix retrofit kit for the TT and when I contacted them about an S3 retrofit they seemed keen but needed a guinea pig car to test on.....

Very interested in this. Do you know whether the sockets on normal led and matrix led headlights are the same. If it were, then it may be worth one of us taking the plunge and just plugging it in to see what happens....maybe?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Considering the price of the the RHD matrix lights brand new from online sellers with warranty is around $1300 USD it would seem worth it if someone could figure out the details. Kufatec do a matrix retrofit kit for the TT and when I contacted them about an S3 retrofit they seemed keen but needed a guinea pig car to test on.....

Where did you see that price? I don't think you can even get a regular LED at that price... Would be all over it :p

Very interested in this. Do you know whether the sockets on normal led and matrix led headlights are the same. If it were, then it may be worth one of us taking the plunge and just plugging it in to see what happens....maybe?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Yes, connectors are the same however additional wiring is needed to go to a second level sensor (G78) (which also needs to be added) but this is not difficult. I have the wiring diagrams for with and without Matrix. Difficulty is updating the firmware in module 55 using VCP and adding data sets to the BCM and once you've figured all this out then calibration needs to be done at the dealer. As I said above, Kufatec has a plug and play version for the TT so not impossible for the adventurous!