Facelift Stop/Start

RS3-Rob

Reaction score
Afternoon AS!

I've noticed on my RS that when I leave the stop/start on and I'm slowing down to a set of traffic lights for instance, the car will turn off even though I haven't fully come to a stop. It'll do it between 3-5 MPH and I'm left rolling 1-2 feet while the engine isn't operational. Is this normal? I'm pretty sure the car shouldn't have this trait.
My previous MK3 TTS had stop start and it would turn off when I have physically come to a stop, not while I'm still in motion. I would normally turn stop/start off anyway and then switch to Individual but when I fancy a nice quiet drive in comfort and come to a stop it does this.

Cheers!

Normal. It’s mentioned in the marketing as extra fuel saving. Pre facelifts do it too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: RS3-Rob
Afternoon AS!

I've noticed on my RS that when I leave the stop/start on and I'm slowing down to a set of traffic lights for instance, the car will turn off even though I haven't fully come to a stop. It'll do it between 3-5 MPH and I'm left rolling 1-2 feet while the engine isn't operational. Is this normal? I'm pretty sure the car shouldn't have this trait.
My previous MK3 TTS had stop start and it would turn off when I have physically come to a stop, not while I'm still in motion. I would normally turn stop/start off anyway and then switch to Individual but when I fancy a nice quiet drive in comfort and come to a stop it does this.

Cheers!
Normal mate, more aggressive on these facelift 3’s.

Normal.........

I've turned mine off....

You can get a small module from @DJAlix that once fitted can control it to be either on/off.

Reactions: jungle650, RS3-Rob and Phil3
Get it permanently turned off via VCDS

Full of nothing but knowledge you lot :icon thumright: Appreciate the replies, puts my mind at rest. I'd rather keep the stop/start then disabling it fully as I do use it from time to time albeit a rare occasion but I just wasn't sure if it was normal behaviour for the RS3 because my previous car never did it.

Cheers! :rockwoot:

Full of nothing but knowledge you lot :icon thumright: Appreciate the replies, puts my mind at rest. I'd rather keep the stop/start then disabling it fully as I do use it from time to time albeit a rare occasion but I just wasn't sure if it was normal behaviour for the RS3 because my previous car never did it.

Cheers! :rockwoot:

The modules enable you to control the Start / Stop rather than perm remove / disable it. Ie they enable you to save the last press of the button as your default memory option.

If you want it to work, just press the button and it turns back on as per normal.

Modules take about 5-10 mins to fit ( the more u do the quicker than can be fitted ) . All that is required are stereo removal tools ( halfords / amazon sell them ) and a small flat blade screw driver. They install straight into the cars wiring.

Link to stereo removal keys here:

T1 Audio T1-132 x 4 Keys - VW / Ford / Audi / Mercedes Car Stereo Radio Removel Keys Amazon product

Much better option than using VCDS as you do not get any error messages on the dash.

I have one for sale if interested feel free to PM me.

Regds
Jungle

Apparently it can't be done via VCDS. You need the module as mentioned above.
Well that’s strange as I’ve had mine done via VCDS,by a well known member of the forums,with no error codes

Well that’s strange as I’ve had mine done via VCDS,by a well known member of the forums,with no error codes
Interesting! If that's the case I'd definitely like mine disabled.

Do we know if the drive modes can be set anyway so they remain in whatever you had selected when the car was turned off?

Do we know if the drive modes can be set anyway so they remain in whatever you had selected when the car was turned off?

I have a FL Saloon. My drive mode remains selected on - so it must be possible. Is that on PFL it 'resets'?

I have a FL Saloon. My drive mode remains selected on - so it must be possible. Is that on PFL it 'resets'?

I’ve got a FL saloon too mate... if you leave it on dynamic and turn the car off, it will revert back to comfort, it’s all to do with emissions I think

My FL doesn't - it stays as I left it - but then I'm not based in the UK. Perhaps you can change it after Brexit... :)

Reactions: sve170 and E15
My FL doesn't - it stays as I left it - but then I'm not based in the UK. Perhaps you can change it after Brexit... :)

The mode stays put, however there is some debate about whether its actually doing what it should. Good example is start up and exhaust valves in Dynamic mode. Noticeable difference between historic dynamic mode and when actually re-cycled through by pressing the button.

Not being in the UK then that’s probably the reason behind yours staying put mate :icon thumright: you’re a lucky one @Howdy haha

I believe that the text in the car (UK ones) stays as you’ve left it, but that doesn’t represent the true mode when the car is started again as you’ve described @jungle650

The indicator of the mode reverting to default in the FL car is the start up rattle.
Select Dynamic before starting the car = full Dynamic and no Rattle.

There has been confusion on how it ‘changes’.

The mode displays as still in Dynamic etc but it isn’t actually in that mode. You need to reselect it every time or your so called dynamic is actually comfort.

Hit dynamic next time you’re in it, you will have a shock if you’ve been mistaken all this time ;)

Reactions: Phil3
There has been confusion on how it ‘changes’.

The mode displays as still in Dynamic etc but it isn’t actually in that mode. You need to reselect it every time or your so called dynamic is actually comfort.

Hit dynamic next time you’re in it, you will have a shock if you’ve been mistaken all this time ;)

We'll I'll give it a go - but I'm fairly convinced that mine starts and stays in Dynamic. My neighbour has a G63 AMG and Raptor - so I've been purposely leaving it in the noisiest mode possible. :)

I've also not noticed that it's not in Dynamic when I start the drive - because I put it in Comfort when I park at work and its noticeably quieter.

Its so stupid how it turns off while moving. I still want to know when it was changed because my 64 plate A3 was fine and it only kicked in when the car was stopped but my 16 plate S3 kicks in too early, different engines but both PFL cars.

We'll I'll give it a go - but I'm fairly convinced that mine starts and stays in Dynamic. My neighbour has a G63 AMG and Raptor - so I've been purposely leaving it in the noisiest mode possible. :)

I've also not noticed that it's not in Dynamic when I start the drive - because I put it in Comfort when I park at work and its noticeably quieter.

That’s odd, really odd. The car barks for the first second or two of the start but then the valves are closed and remain closed.

When in full dynamic, the gearbox will default into sport when you first put it in.

If yours stays in dynamic, I think you will be the first ever haha!

Reactions: Howdy
That’s odd, really odd. The car barks for the first second or two of the start but then the valves are closed and remain closed.

When in full dynamic, the gearbox will default into sport when you first put it in.

If yours stays in dynamic, I think you will be the first ever haha!

Thanks for explaining. I’ll start experimenting.

Reactions: AudiNutta