FACTORY PAINT PROTECTION !

shilts

Reaction score
Hi , i have e new car ordered - due November and was wondering if the paint work comes with any protective film on . I have been advised to let dealer know NOT to wash the car for fear of swirling etc , but was wondering what condition to expect the car in . Will it be ready for me to wash it straight away or will any protection need to be removed ? Any help would be appreciated , thanks .

They will most probably take all the film off the car when it is PDI'D(pre delivery inspection)

If its not been washed it will probably just have marks from where the film has been, which is easily removed with a tar and glue remover.

Cars often arrive from factory swirled - have a search of L200 Steve's Hi-Lux thread on DW. Even if the bits under the film isn't swirled (or hologrammed), not all of the car will be covered. Dealers don't get the time to properly prep cars to "our" standards, but to be fait 99%+ of people don't really care!

It's actually better to let them clean the car - at least that way you'll be able any marks/scuffs, because once you drive that car off the forecourt you've "accepted" it and will have little chance to get it sorted. And let's face it, we're only going to polish/correct the car once it gets home anyway....

Thanks guy's , pretty intense thread by L200 Steve , but i get the idea about a certain amount of paint defects / swirling coming on the car from the factory .

When your dealer calls you they may try and sell you V.P.P (Veichle Polymer Protection) for £399 (I think its this much?)

They basically cover the car in a polymer that will last 3 years.. a few people have mentioned that it leaves small dots on the paintwork and can become very annoying, it's also very expensive for what it is..

I would recommend telling Audi that you do not want it and invest the £399 in a detailer to clean, machine polish and apply a quality product to the car (Carnuba Wax/Zaino/Do Do Juice/Meguiars)

Chris

Id agree with that. Having caught the detailing bug over the last few years Ive prepped and detailed a whole load of new cars for friends and family.
I have noticed that there is swirls even on a brand new car and can be easily rectified by a detailer or even yourself if you have practice and patience.

I tend to do a normal prep of the car by citrus degrease, using paint reader and then checking how bad the swirls are I would then wash & clay the whole car and prep for a quick polish with the rotary.

Then top up with something durable like Colinite, but these days there are lots of "nano" type solutions you can try out and they can give the protection you require if you dont intend to wash the car every week :p