Fan running all the time

thompa25

Reaction score
I have had a search but cant find a definitive answer. I know that it is a common problem on the A3's (I have a 2.0tdi 2004) for the fan to run constantly, and make a hell of a racket. I was just wondering do i have to replace the fan unit, or can i just replace the control unit? Is the P/N for the unit 1J0919506K, if not does someone have the part number i need, and how easy is it to change?

Thanks

The control unit is built into one of the fans on the 2.0TDI, so a swap of the whole assembly is needed. Relatively straight forward, 4 torx bolts hold the fan assembly in place, one in each corner, along with an electrical plug at the bottom corner nearest the passenger side.

Part number for mine was 1K0998455A. You'll want the assembly with the rubber flaps above the smaller fan most likely.

From experience I can say the ones from a 1.9TDI do not fit!

Edit: The fan unit needs to come out from underneath the car, the top front of the engine bay is too narrow.

Didn't know there was more than one issue with them!

Mine were both on full speed and wouldn't stop even with the ignition off.

Coolant sensor maybe did the temp gauge work?

Yep, swapped coolant sensor anyway and it made no difference. Only way to stop them was disconnect the battery or the fans.

The motors burned out after I had to make an unavoidable journey so ended up replacing them and it cured it.

Has your air conditioning packed up?
We had the cooling fans on tornado mode on my son's R32 a couple of weeks ago. This was even 1st thing in the morning. A pressure switch in the air con system had given way losing all of the refrigerant. This had caused the fail safe of the cooling fans to kick in.
A new pressure switch + regas and everything was fine again.