Fan speeds

Steve_N

Derv Power
Reaction score
I am wondering if any one on here has noticed this on their cars. When the climate is set on auto and the fan speed is only 2 or 3 bars, i pull the washers and the fan speeds up 1 or 2 bars for about 30 secs then goes back to normal. Is this normal or is my climate unit starting to fail.

I've heard something about the fan switches to recirc when you wash the screen to prevent screenwash fumes entering the cabin, don't know if thats related?

That wouldnt surprise me, but the climate unit doesnt switch to recirc and you can still smell the washer fluid (at least its quite a pleasent smell).
I am wondering if its to stop the screen misting up, cant see anything in the book though.

Ive never noticed that but will try tomorrow!
I find that when I switch to Auto it blows like a whore for a good 30 seconds then calms down to its own level, usually 4 bars but I suppose its down to what temp you setting it at.

I normally find that if it is set at 16 it blows full speed but just upping the temp to 17 will calm it down quite a bit. I normally run it between 20 and 22 and this when i notice it the most. I will see if it still does it with it set to econ if i remember.

This is all normal its how it does the temp regulating ,
as already said its really noticable when you switch to auto it goes dull for a bit then calm down once the required internal temp is reached .

mine does exactly the same, I have always wondered if it's a problem, you know what I think.. when the wipers go over the sun sensor perhaps it thinks the sun has gone in and speeds the fan up slightly.

But mine does the same so i would not worry about it :)

mine does exactly the same, I have always wondered if it's a problem, you know what I think.. when the wipers go over the sun sensor perhaps it thinks the sun has gone in and speeds the fan up slightly.

But mine does the same so i would not worry about it :)

Thanks for that, at least its not just me who has noticed this. I forgot to try it with the econ on, so will try to remember tomorrow.

This is all normal its how it does the temp regulating ,
as already said its really noticable when you switch to auto it goes dull for a bit then calm down once the required internal temp is reached .

I Know why it blows hard and then calms down, i was just replying to J7USS about what his does.
What i would like to know is why does it increase the fan speed when the washers are operated. If you have any ideas let us know.
I am starting to feel its some sort of black magic.

Ah sorry mate ,
mine doesnt do that not that i have noticed ,
will have a go tomorrow and see im curious now .

Tried my washers this morning on my work, nice and dark and no increase in fan speed. On my way home, sun shinning brightly, temp set on 20 and fan speed 4 bars. Tried the washers and guess what no increase, how random is that. I am truly baffled.

Put it down to gremlins and dont worry about it ,
fix it if it breaks and if it doesnt all good .