Facelift Fastest RS3 RIP

8YARWY

Electric Avenue
Reaction score
bcf928d35ed5a0dbc1e3eb228a84313e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lesson learnt, fire extinguisher in car!

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: jimojameso
Not going well for Evolve they've had a shocker recently on carwow

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

I wonder if there are any similarities to the other RS3 fire where infiniti were involved?

Looks the evolve one was burnt to a crisp so don't think we will ever know!

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

This is the problem with tuning cars and I know this was more than a little tune BUT I like having car that isn’t hopefully going to have any problems because of me wanting it to be faster.

Wow.Looking at the aftermath I don't think they are ever going to know what actually caused the fire. Slightly worrying for them as they would probably doing a lot of stuff the same way . It's Ok fitting a fire suppression system but fires can beat even these if there is enough fuel involved. And with the amount of Methanol and E85 floating about in the engine bay on this there is lots of fuel.
When the piston went through the block in my TT I had quite a decent fire going at the back of the engine bay with all the oil and coolant that went onto the red hot manifold, fortunately I had a fire extinguisher in the car and got it under control pretty quickly.
The main thing is nobody was hurt, cars can rebuilt , people can't.
Upload 2021 2 8 20 35 38

Reactions: RAF_S7 and ArrEssDrei
This 30 year old Top Gear segment about car fires still seems relevant today.

Do we know exactly what let go on this car? It's not the first RS3 posted that has burst into flames (that American video on the motorway comes to mind). Whatever popped and sent flammable mater presumably onto the turbo/manifold and ignited should be something to know about and pay extra attention too as a serious failure point on our cars.

Do we know exactly what let go on this car? It's not the first RS3 posted that has burst into flames (that American video on the motorway comes to mind). Whatever popped and sent flammable mater presumably onto the turbo/manifold and ignited should be something to know about and pay extra attention too as a serious failure point on our cars.

I wouldn’t let it bother you.
That was a highly tuned car that was running ethanol. Could be anyone of a number of things.

I for one certainly don’t see it as an RS3 wide issue.
Also that car was having issues on the Carwow day too.

Reactions: garethdj
I was recently looking at a flex fuel tune which would require an ethanol content sensor to be fitted. One thing that concerned me was plumbing the content sensor into the fuel line and the risk of bad connectors or installation. Having fuel sprayed out at high pressure could be catastrophic.

Given it was their development car you would hope that some aspect of their business insurance would cover it.

I was recently looking at a flex fuel tune which would require an ethanol content sensor to be fitted. One thing that concerned me was plumbing the content sensor into the fuel line and the risk of bad connectors or installation. Having fuel sprayed out at high pressure could be catastrophic.

Given it was their development car you would hope that some aspect of their business insurance would cover it.

Exactly. We just do not know what has gone on and if indeed a part has been fitted incorrectly.
Ethanol is about the worst thing you’d want leaking out under the bonnet.

OG Interview on you tube and they say it had no meth at the time of the fire.

Reactions: garethdj
Reason why I wouldn’t bother modding my car other than stage 1 remap. Big power is expensive is more prone to go wrong and makes the car undriveable at normal speeds.

they say it had no meth in it, hmmm. I’ll bet it’s a burst fuel line that’s leaked onto the hot manifold, if that happens car goes up quicker than a rocket propelled barbecue

Reactions: Riko0073
cant say i was impressed with what happened in the carwow vid. we all know that modding cars is always fraught with issues and it doesn't mean evolve are a bad company. quite the opposite, but it highlights the risks when modding a car