FAULT CODE 01486- System func test started, how to end ?

JSD-

Reaction score
Hello everyone, i have the fault code 01486 showing up on my fault reader, as far as i am aware this means that the abs system has started a self test and that it MUST finish this test before the code clears. I will have use of a vag cable and software that my brother purchased,although not for a week or so.

My question ONLY relates to the process for clearing the code by doing the manual reset, i.e, driving at 13mph and performing a left hand turn of around 30-40 metres, then same again for right hand turn. I am having no luck at all in performing this test and was wondering if someone could give me a step by step guide for it?

In my case the esp/abs light are already flashing, which as far as i can tell means that the test has started, and no need for brake pressure above 30 before trying to complete test. Its almost as if someone has started this test but not completed it.

Any help is welcome and appreciated !

Welcome to the site.

Is it a genuine vcds your brother has?

Welcome to audi-sport.net. I will add you onto the scottish members list. Any pics of the car? Fir local meets click the link below. Enjoy the forum. :) x

Scotland

Hello NHN thanks for the welcome. My brother works away ,but over the the phone has told me he has a vag com cable and the registered software also, apparently cost him around £200 ,not sure if this is what you are referring to? He returns next week, which is why i am wondering about the process for manually resetting it by doing the correct driving procedure. I have read a lot of threads and posts on the subject and i am aware that there is a section for entering the proper values using vcds lite to reset the lights. However i have a week off from work and would like to try and sort this myself.

P.S I have heard of a 3 step procedure that you must perform when doing the manual reset , and that the method i mention in my first post is only one of three that needs to performed. Would you have any knowledge of this?

Thanks again

Hi Sandra , thanks for the welcome. I do have pics of the car and fully intend to upload them here very soon. Thanks for the link :)

Reactions: Sandra
VCDS Lite is not for the 8P chassis, only older cars like 8L, 8E etc.

Hmm this i did not know ! So which software would you suggest is best for an audi a3 2.0fsi on a 53 plate but 2004 registered?

Lite would only connect to the engine cu as only early 8P'sas per RT's words it had kline connection, so it needs a hex-can-usb system of which I sell :)

My advice is wait for your brothers cable unless you want to buy 1 yourself or indeed find someone local with 1.

You can't use a lead to get rid of this code you just HAVE to complete the test once it has been started.

Drive the car normally and the ESP light should turn off.
find a big empty space like a car park.
press the brake hard and the ESP light will come back on flashing. This tells you you have applied enough pressure.
Drive forwards around <13mph for a short distance then turn the wheel 90 degrees keep going and esp abs light will go out.
Had to do the same about a week ago in my car (2007 s3) but I had to find quite a big car park to do it first as it took quite a big turn before it worked.

There are ways to disable a test via vcds yes, but yes I agree, complete any initiated test.

There are ways to disable a test via vcds yes, but yes I agree, complete any initiated test.
Hi Nigel ,

to get into adaptation mode do you have to go into ABS 03 , Security and then for adaption ?? as that is the only way i can get the flashing Brake on the DIS. i have tried the methods as shown on , how ever its not getting me any where. any help or advice would be greatful

Thanks

If you know how to end the test then just post how.

You can end the test this way.

Enter basic settings group 103 under address 03 – ABS. As soon as 103 is entered, the display should read “function test inactive,” indicating it has been turned off.
Then Clear Code.

The “Active” button should not be used. Check ABS fault codes to see if the test was completed fully. If not, repeat using basic settings 93 or the test plan under General Functions.

I hope this helps someone because its a right PITA to try and complete the test.

• Haha
Reactions: TheLine, samisnake, KishoreSrkr and 1 other person

Enter basic settings group 103 under address 03 – ABS. As soon as 103 is entered, the display should read “function test inactive,” indicating it has been turned off.
Then Clear Code.

The “Active” button should not be used. Check ABS fault codes to see if the test was completed fully. If not, repeat using basic settings 93 or the test plan under General Functions.

I hope this helps someone because its a right PITA to try and complete the test.
This really helped. Thanks alot

Then Clear Code.

thank you tditt

Then Clear Code.
thats amazing it works for me from the 1st try , the code 01486 gone in 3 sec

Then Clear Code.