Fault codes help

ScottFree

Reaction score
found these fault codes on my RS3 8V as I keep getting limp mode when the car is warmed up had a friend read them and here’s what we have ,should I start changing sensors?

5580 - Oil Pressure Switch

P164B 00 [101] - Malfunction

Not Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear

Freeze Frame:

Fault Status: 00000001

Fault Priority: 2

Fault Frequency: 5

Mileage: 71764 km

Date: 2019.08.02

Time: 11:58:48

Engine speed: 2929.50 /min

Normed load value: 17.6 %

Vehicle speed: 83 km/h

Coolant temperature: 93 °C

Intake air temperature: 38 °C

Ambient air pressure: 1010 mbar

Voltage terminal 30: 13.020 V

Unlearning counter according OBD: 40

Engine status: COENG_RUNNING

Engine status-Test_Program_Co Eng st COMPU VERB UBYTE: 3

18105 - Catalyst System; Bank 1

P0420 00 [101] - Efficiency Below Threshold

Not Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear

Freeze Frame:

Fault Status: 00000001

Fault Priority: 2

Fault Frequency: 2

Mileage: 71750 km

Date: 2019.08.02

Time: 08:33:54

Engine speed: 1895.00 /min

Normed load value: 21.6 %

Vehicle speed: 101 km/h

Coolant temperature: 93 °C

Intake air temperature: 36 °C

Ambient air pressure: 1010 mbar

Voltage terminal 30: 12.900 V

Unlearning counter according OBD: 40

Rear cat conv temp main cat conv model value: 627.15 °C

O2 sens. dwnstrm. of cat.: gradient transf. rich -> lean: 0.13 s

O2 sensor dwnstrm. of cat.: gradient transfer lean -> rich: 0.00 s

O2 sensor dwnstrm. of cat.: delay time transf. rich -> lean: 0.00 s

O2 sensor dwnstrm. of cat.: delay time transf. lean -> rich: 0.00 s

Readiness: 0000 0000

You might want to read this about your fault priority code , now i would get the car scanned by a genuine Vcd's cable to see if the data you get bk is the same.
( https://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/tour/dtc_screen.php )
Thanks for you input,I’ll give it a read. I’m pretty happy the VCDS was genuine as I remember him making a fuss about an unlimited vin version upgrade from 10 vin

Thanks for you input,I’ll give it a read. I’m pretty happy the VCDS was genuine as I remember him making a fuss about an unlimited vin version upgrade from 10 vin
It could easy be gen just it readings come up different from my own but yours is an 8v mine 8p

Probably be fine as the new cars will throw up different codes as newer tech is involved , if your not sure pop code into Google and then look for Ross- Tech fault codes and compare to see what they have. Your P164B is a genuine code so I would assume your pals cable is fine. Check that site out as it lists your 2 codes plus heaps more with a all description and maybe fix , your P0420 could be valve solenids
( http://enginecodes.net/powertrain-codes.html )

Last edited:
Probably be fine as the new cars will throw up different codes as newer tech is involved , if your not sure pop code into Google and then look for Ross- Tech fault codes and compare to see what they have. Your P164B is a genuine code so I would assume your pals cable is fine. Check that site out as it lists your 2 codes plus heaps more with a all description and maybe fix , your P0420 could be valve solenids
( http://enginecodes.net/powertrain-codes.html )
Thanks I’ll check it out

There was an issue with the harness to the switch I seem to recall reading. The harness can have a dodgy wire between 1 and 6 inches from the switch. Do a wiggle test with live data if you can to see if there is a broken wire. Give the wires a good pull to reproduce any make/break faults.

the problem with this engines is that when you get this code you need to replace both oil switches (High and low pressure), camshaft adjuster valve and if you car is using two you need to replace both of them since you don't know which one is blocking the oil supply to the engine.
and finally check the oil pressure before changing the oil pump and your problem will be resolved.
that's how i resolved mine