faulty injector system?

2sheeps

Reaction score
Hi all. My 90 quattro has power problems. When I start it and drive off after half a mile maybe it slows down and runs reaaly rough with no power to the point that I can floor the accelrator and it will not even rev up. I sit and leave it for 5 mins at a 'rough' idle and all of a sudden it starts working and is fine, even if I was to drive around the world non stop! The next time I start up though the same things happen.
I have been told lots of things but the last that I was told was that there is a small rubber flap inside part of the injection unit, about the size of a 2 pence piece, that sticks open and gives the engine to much air, until it warms up and drops, letting the correct amount in.
Is this true and if so can some one please point me in the right direction to fixing it?
Thanks up front.
Cheers 2sheeps

Is it a 20v or a 10v engine, also what year are we talking here?

hi thanks for replying. My car is a 10v and the year is h reg built 1990. Hope you can help. Thanks for now

I saw a similar problem on a passat 16v, the lambda probe was faulty, but that car
when faulty like yours would not rev up, the exception being that at wide open throttle it would rev normally. (at wot, the
lambda is not used, ecu delivers fuel from
engine revs etc.)
You should be able to pull ecu fault codes on that car, you can buy a reader for approx £20 or make one from a 12v led and a few bits of wire. The ecu diagnostic plugs should be located at the
front of the parcel shelf (above accelerator pedal).
Here's a link to a US based site with more info, http://www.20v.org/fault.htm
If you do pull codes, you will need to run your car, then pull the codes before turning the ignition off, as the stored codes are erased each time on a 10v.