Faulty xbox 360

Reaction score
My xbox 360 (elite) has developed a fault,it no longer displays any picture,the sound is fine, all the lights flash as they should do and other than no picture everything else seems to work.Has anyone else come across this fault and is it fixable for a reasonable cost ??

What cable are you using for your picture? HDMI, component or scart?

Its in the component at the moment,ive tried another lead plugged into the rca's on the side of the tv and also connected it via hdmi but its just the same sound only no picture .

Its in the component at the moment,ive tried another lead plugged into the rca's on the side of the tv and also connected it via hdmi but its just the same sound only no picture .

Try the following first.

1. Make sure the Cable is properly connected to the back of the Xbox.

2. Make sure the Cble is properly connected to the inputs on the TV (Color coded if using component or composite cables).

3. Look on the large part of the cable where it plugs into the Xbox. There is a switch with two settings: HDTV and TV. If using the component cables (Green, Blue, Red + White Red), turn the switch to HDTV. If using the composite cables (Yellow, White, Red), switch it to TV.

4) If none of this works try on another tv.

5) If it is still the same then its definatly your consoleat fault and not your cables or tvs.

6) Let me know how you get on with the above and if none of this helps you i have a few methods to try that might fix your box (only if you have no warrenty left)

Last edited:
Right then ive tried the lead in all plugs and the switch in both positions,borrowed a known to be working lead pluged into the rca and its still the same.When i unplugged the lead anfd plug it back in it now comes up with " non supported video format" but still has sound.If i switch it off then back on again its just the sound with no message on screen.Last night while messing around with it a switched it on and it worked perfect (with picture) untill i switched it off and it lost the picture although sometimes it was coming on with the picture but it was slightly destorted with a red/green tint to it which while playing the game would flash and give a proper coulered picture now and again.

Right then ive tried the lead in all plugs and the switch in both positions,borrowed a known to be working lead pluged into the rca and its still the same.When i unplugged the lead anfd plug it back in it now comes up with " non supported video format" but still has sound.If i switch it off then back on again its just the sound with no message on screen.Last night while messing around with it a switched it on and it worked perfect (with picture) untill i switched it off and it lost the picture although sometimes it was coming on with the picture but it was slightly destorted with a red/green tint to it which while playing the game would flash and give a proper coulered picture now and again.

Whats the manufacturing date on your console mate and is it an arcade, premium or elite?

Its the elite (black one),originaly a 120gb hd but running without it,the manufacuring dtae is 2007-07-10.

Ok so its still in warrenty for the 3 red rings of death!

You need to put a towel round it and turn it on and force it to overheat! this will bring on the 3 red rings which means you can send it off to microsoft for repair or replacement for free.

If you try to send it as it is with no red rings you will be charged £80.00 for a repair/replacement so you need to overheat the console until you get the 3 red rings.

The red ring warrenty is 3 years from manufacturing date, so dont go opening the console.