Fifth Gear - Hot Hatch Shootout - inc Audi S3

The handling is absolutely fine......but my only issue is the way your bum slides about in the seat when taking a roundabout any faster than walking pace. :D

Just watched the whole video while waiting for a flight.
Sub £35k hot hatch!!
That s3 black edition with 19s, mag ride, super sport seats and I think I saw a sunroof on it will retail over £40k.
I think if they brought other cars in the mix like the focus rs or st, maybe new Impreza it would have been a more amusing test.

Just to add my two-penneth...

Thought it was a predictably contrived, formulaic, lazy and incomplete review from Fifth Gear - ultimately to answer the question, ‘which of the 4 is the most focussed hard core track day car?’

Do I agree with the finding that the S3 isn’t the pick of the bunch based on this very narrow test parameter? Yes.
Are there sharper handling alternatives out there? Undoubtedly.
Do I intend to ever subject my car to a mechanically unsympathetic ‘drive it like you stole it’ track day? Hell no.
Did the Audi brief to their design team ask for the the S3 to be the best track day hot-hatch of them all? Very unlikely.
Does the S3 have enough performance and handling characteristics for the real-world and for real, flawed drivers like myself? Yes, in spades.
Does the S3 have a better quality interior and proud to own factor? I’m obviously biased, however I’m not a closed minded Audi disciple. For me, yes.
Did any of the other cars have 4 wheel drive - because let’s face it 300bhp+ needs it in real-world slippery when wet conditions? Nope.
Did any of the others have roof rails? Nope, and I need ‘em - I have a family, and rails let me drive the type of car I want to and still give me the practicality of a BIG estate on the half a dozen times a year I actually need it.

In a test like that I’d love to see 100 family men (or women) petrol heads polled to answer the question ‘forgetting track performance for a moment, you have to drive from Lands End to John O’Groats, and back again - which would you choose?’ Wonder how the S3 would fare then?

I’m not ‘dissing’ the other cars on test - I’m sure they’re very good. I just reckon the S3 isn’t even trying to play in the same sandpit.

Finally, the Renault’s residuals will drop like a granny on a frosty morning, the Honda hurts my eyes (like a lot - that thing is butt ugly) and the SEAT Cupra R is not a real world option as produced very limited numbers (I used to have a hot SEAT, and it was ace, but I wouldn’t consider the Cupra R over my S3) And ALL of them, being front wheel drive would likely suffer from massive torque steer and axle tramp, so using the loud pedal would be just as annoying as fun.

Like I say, just my two-penneth :hi:

Reactions: Audi Bairn, kevpuk, Lehn and 2 others
Just to add my two-penneth...

Thought it was a predictably contrived, formulaic, lazy and incomplete review from Fifth Gear - ultimately to answer the question, ‘which of the 4 is the most focussed hard core track day car?’

Do I agree with the finding that the S3 isn’t the pick of the bunch based on this very narrow test parameter? Yes.
Are there sharper handling alternatives out there? Undoubtedly.
Do I intend to ever subject my car to a mechanically unsympathetic ‘drive it like you stole it’ track day? Hell no.
Did the Audi brief to their design team ask for the the S3 to be the best track day hot-hatch of them all? Very unlikely.
Does the S3 have enough performance and handling characteristics for the real-world and for real, flawed drivers like myself? Yes, in spades.
Does the S3 have a better quality interior and proud to own factor? I’m obviously biased, however I’m not a closed minded Audi disciple. For me, yes.
Did any of the other cars have 4 wheel drive - because let’s face it 300bhp+ needs it in real-world slippery when wet conditions? Nope.
Did any of the others have roof rails? Nope, and I need ‘em - I have a family, and rails let me drive the type of car I want to and still give me the practicality of a BIG estate on the half a dozen times a year I actually need it.

In a test like that I’d love to see 100 family men (or women) petrol heads polled to answer the question ‘forgetting track performance for a moment, you have to drive from Lands End to John O’Groats, and back again - which would you choose?’ Wonder how the S3 would fare then?

I’m not ‘dissing’ the other cars on test - I’m sure they’re very good. I just reckon the S3 isn’t even trying to play in the same sandpit.

Finally, the Renault’s residuals will drop like a granny on a frosty morning, the Honda hurts my eyes (like a lot - that thing is butt ugly) and the SEAT Cupra R is not a real world option as produced very limited numbers (I used to have a hot SEAT, and it was ace, but I wouldn’t consider the Cupra R over my S3) And ALL of them, being front wheel drive would likely suffer from massive torque steer and axle tramp, so using the loud pedal would be just as annoying as fun.

Like I say, just my two-penneth :hi:

"Did any of the others have roof rails?"

hahaha quality

Reactions: kevpuk, Lehn, Daveotto and 4 others
"Did any of the others have roof rails?"

hahaha quality

Important real world consideration mate, as you well know Mr Roof Rails Enthusiast - thought that comment might tickle you pal :thumbs up:

Reactions: MattSedg and NevMan
the Honda hurts my eyes (like a lot - that thing is butt ugly)
Well they do say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :)
I think it looks amazing in white.....but that should come as no surprise. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimbob76 and KenL
That Head to Head was a fight between VW R manual v S3 Dsg....NOT...a fair comparison....Golfs sell very well and to be honest VAG.....couldnt give a flying monkeys...as to what is the better car....they win either way....Perceived Brand image.....as both cars are almost identical in price once you start adding options
Yeah there are 2 car wow videos. One is just a standing start race the other is more comprehensive and looks at a range of aspects including driveability That's the one I mean.

I had a 2014 S3 and hated the bouncing around when pressing on over rough ground, the mag ride on my RS3 seemed to sort that. The 2016 Golf R I had was way better handling, don't know why but it was.

Removing any emotion as we own the car some are trying to 'defend'.
I have one and it does what I need it to do very well, is it a really good handling car no but can it use most of its power most of the time yes. It does bounce and understeer in some scenarios but those scenarios shouldn't really be normal driving on the road but both can be displayed at will. Do i think Audi should have done better then absolutely yes but not too long ago 300bhp was a lot of power and hard to tame so I understand Audi (and other manufacturers) attempts to come away from perfectly balanced 4 wheel slides and introduce understeer for driver self preservation.
The inside of the S3 is a nice place to be and it can get a move on when needed but lacks a little sparkle (other than outright speed) where you get out and smirk to yourself.

Whilst we all think we are rwd sliding gods like Tiff (i for one am not) there are times I am quite glad i didn't buy a rwd and can still drive quicker than conditions might otherwise suggest. The S3 should be treated as a gentleman's express, very quick point to point in a very efficient subtle way but having loads of fun on the journey not really. Some would say a very good recipe for car sales.

Reactions: Jcbmally and mfl
The inside of the S3 is a nice place to be and it can get a move on when needed but lacks a little sparkle (other than outright speed) where you get out and smirk to yourself.

I got the S3 (without rails) instead of the Golf R, because after having owned a GTI I thought the S3 looked much classier than the R, especially the interior.

I do occasional track days, and a 034 Motorsport rear ARB, got rid of the understeer, but a little bit of drift-ability would have been nice.. The problem is that S3 is too teutonically efficient, it's ability to go fast easily , especially in damp conditions makes all look like great drivers. I thought there might have been a bit more fun because it was an S3, not an A3.

The Megane is hardly an axle tramping monster, last year I spent a little bit of time driving a RS265 through the Western Australian country side and its handling and ability to turn into a corner was good for a FWD and fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: msdmjb
I have one and it does what I need it to do very well, is it a really good handling car no but can it use most of its power most of the time yes. It does bounce and understeer in some scenarios but those scenarios shouldn't really be normal driving on the road but both can be displayed at will. Do i think Audi should have done better then absolutely yes but not too long ago 300bhp was a lot of power and hard to tame so I understand Audi (and other manufacturers) attempts to come away from perfectly balanced 4 wheel slides and introduce understeer for driver self preservation.

Whilst we all think we are rwd sliding gods like Tiff (i for one am not) there are times I am quite glad i didn't buy a rwd and can still drive quicker than conditions might otherwise suggest. The S3 should be treated as a gentleman's express, very quick point to point in a very efficient subtle way but having loads of fun on the journey not really. Some would say a very good recipe for car sales.
I don't even own an S3, and think their "test" was complete b*llsh1t. I mean who really is going to see how quickly they can slam into reverse and park ***. And as mentioned before, not like for like cars anyway. Should have had Focus, Golf, Merc with S3.

Couldn't care how good the Renault is on a track or road, you wouldn't catch me buying one EVER

Rant over :yahoo:

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Jimbob76, Jcbmally and 1 other person
but surely they should have been using a Golf GTi ( lighter and 2 wd) not against a much heavier 4wd car ?
Seems like apples and oranges to me !

Reactions: NevMan
If I was in the market for a hot hatch, regardless of the under steer I’d be picking the S3 over the other three.

The S3 would be far superior to be in and drive day to day - it’s not a track focussed type car which to me the others in the video are.

agree, not to mention ability to handle all weather this country throws at it.

I dont hang about in my S3 when im taking it for a "spirited" drive, but havnt got anywhere near understeer. How are people managing to get understeer on public roads without driving like a complete loon?

Reactions: Daveotto and NevMan
I dont hang about in my S3 when im taking it for a "spirited" drive, but havnt got anywhere near understeer. How are people managing to get understeer on public roads without driving like a complete loon?

Exactly, that is why these track tests are pretty pointless imho. Proper long “road” tests much more useful, and in changing weather

Exactly, that is why these track tests are pretty pointless imho. Proper long “road” tests much more useful, and in changing weather

Completely agree. I would rather know how much road noise each car has in the cabin during a boring motorway shlep up the M1. Is one more comfortable then the others for the mundane stuff? What are the stats for each car breaking down?

People want to know what each car is like as an ownership proposition. Buy a kit car if you want to take it on a track. I blame those stupid _____ on top gear for the state of car programs on TV.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure I have. Although i've never been around one fast enough to loose traction on my rather large and grippy tyres. Have you?
I have had rear end lose it a bit before. But there is defo understeer with the car. When hooning on country roads you can feel it too.

If you've had the rear end out on a roundabout that's lift off oversteer, not understeer. So you've actually had understeer on a country road? How quick where you going?

If you've had the rear end out on a roundabout that's lift off oversteer, not understeer. So you've actually had understeer on a country road? How quick where you going?
I was accelerating around the roundabout... so guess you’re wrong there. Can’t remember speed but don’t fancy doing it again. If you’ve yet to experience oversteer then you are not pushing it hard enough. It’s very evidently there.

These debates on understeer and oversteer on public roads always make me smile as no one ever seems to mention non ideal road surface or god forbid driver error (wrong line, breaking or accelerating at the wrong point)......just saying

If you’ve yet to experience oversteer then you are not pushing it hard enough.

Lol. It's funny, everyone online believes they are Chris Harris, yet the only time i've witnessed someone indulge in oversteer in public ended up with the car perched on top of a roundabout with a broken wheel.

Cant say I've really pushed mine to the limits, in fear of crashing, but in my limited ownership it feels a great handling car. Way better than my old 3.2 which was a nice car but felt (and was) very nose heavy with little feedback through the steering wheel. This S3 feels far better balanced. It's not quite as go-kart like as my old celica GT4 but I still think its a fantastic drive.

What do they mean by the golf being more of a drivers car? If the suspension was any stiffer then driving could get pretty miserable on a lot of the roads around here. If they mean it has a tendency to oversteer rather understeer then sure it can be fun but also troublesome when it happens unexpectedly. Ive had the backend step out on a tail happy car when doing 70 on full chat around a sweeping bend it was not funny or something I ever tried to repeat. That said, getting a bit sideways coming off roundabouts always use to be fun. Havent managed it yet in the s3 it doesnt feel like it has enough torque to really unsettle the car even with the stability control turned off.

Last edited:
After completing 1300 miles in my facelift with 18” alloys I really can’t fault the ride and handling. Nice weighty steering, quick turn in, no understeer, no oversteer, doesn’t tramline, ride is firm but smooth enough for me. Wife has a new Quattro tt which I reckon will corner a bit harder but turn in isn’t as sharp and prefer the weight of the s3 steering.

Before changing to the s3 I had a bmw 140i on order and found the ride more floaty (with adaptive suspension) and the steering wondered and had a dead spot where it did nothing. I’d love the engine from the bm though, only part that lets the s3 down imo.

Wrt to the engine, I guess its so you want to upgrade to the RS3

The problem with the RS3 is that it's just a bit chavy looking, and only comes in the suboptimal 4 door version.

Chavvy?
Compared to what, a 3 door S3? Nope.
A Civic Type R, nope.
Focus RS, nope.

Reactions: TonkS3 and Timi8888