Finally...200,000 miles

jesters3

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Well it got there.

Just clicked over the 200k in my 02 S3.

Been an expensive start to the year to get it there (new clutch, flywheel, failed MOT, new pedal, new fuel pump, new tyres) and soon to cost another £600 fixing the main shaft. But apart from that life with the old girl has been good.

I would however advise to people looking to get a high mileage S3 to check a few things - may be telling you to suck a few eggs but just bear in mind as this is what I have come across since owning my darling for the past 8 years and 200,000 miles

1. Check that the cambelt and waterpump have been changed at the 60k intervals - mine went at 93k
2. Check that the Haldex Unit is in full working order - my fubared at 64k
3. Check the condition of all tyres across - appears that my rears are being eaten at an alarming rate
4. Listen - seriously - Listen to the car as you have a drive of it any thing that sounds mechanical/ringing/resonating means something is definitly woring and WILL BE expensive to fix. - Still trying to find one on mine and appears to be the main shaft
5. If it has been remapped check to see when the clutch/flywheel were last changed - mine were changed at 93k and 193k
6. Check all round the engine itself and note any oil/water leaks - found a transmission oil leak on this
7. Look under the car for any tell tale spots of fluid - got a leaking washer fluid bottle on mine
8. Check that the air con is actually working and blowing out ice cold air not just cool air - needed to get my condenser changed and switch to repair

Otherwise the interior and all electrics should be fine as mine (touch wood) have been for the duartion.

Only bugbear was the ****** armrest sticking in the up position and the cost of V-power over the years.

Roll on the 250k mark!

That's awesome, congratulations. I'm really glad to hear this as mine's pushing 125k and I'm planning to keep it till it dies completely. Looks like there's life in the old girl yet.

impressive stuff jester! great car when looked after! any plans for it (mods etc)?

what's wrong with the main shaft?

Blimey Jojo wish my car had done that! And to think we've been on here the same amount of time and still have the same cars from back in the day!

not FASH, after 100k it has been DIY and indies.

Cars been remapped and has basic enhancements TIPs, DV, Boost hoses etc. Can't justify anything else just yet.

The main shaft, it appears that it is worn to buggery and coming away from the joint. As a result Ihave a ****** horrendous resonating transmission sound coming through the car - ******

:yahoo: 200k nice one dude congrats :respekt: stick with it, 250k phaa... lets see ya get her to 300k.

Blimey Jojo wish my car had done that! And to think we've been on here the same amount of time and still have the same cars from back in the day!

I only just noticed you have been a member on here longer than me mate!

The lack of use is due to the arrival of a little one, and the missus started to use the my Passat Wagon as the family workhorse(170k miles and still going strong), and a slight change in job priorities meant I had to stop using the S3 for work.

WOW, congrats mate, that is some good going there, well done!!

Awesome, makes me more confidient running mine to 100k+ (am on 96k) I really want to keep it as long as I can.