Facelift Finally got my S3 remapped

Reaction score
Hi chaps.
Just had my S3 tuned on the dyno by Mallory Performance and I have to say if the car put a smile on my face before now it’s even bigger.
On thing that caught my eye was on the base run to see what the car was running stock it came up as 322BHP! I was expecting this to be around 306-310 or even less give Ive had it since 2017. According to the guys, majority of these car run higher numbers stock than what Audi claimed them to be! They’ve seen a huge range of stock BHP numbers in the Audis they worked on even their development car was running higher to what was claimed.

Anyway car is now sitting comfortably at 370bhp at stage 1. The guys did a brilliant job with the map as the power delivery is nice and smooth through the gears unlike some others that I’ve been in which just spike and drop down after a few gears.

Would definitely recommend these guys.

Attachments

• 7B0D240F-CA5D-4613-A79E-28609326E24A.jpeg
    7B0D240F-CA5D-4613-A79E-28609326E24A.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 153
Reactions: jimojameso and Damo S
Sounds good! I have been thinkin remapping my A3 2.0 tfsi Quattro 190bhp. Stage 1 should be in around 250 bhp. This is my first reply on this site :D

Reactions: jimojameso
Sounds good! I have been thinkin remapping my A3 2.0 tfsi Quattro 190bhp. Stage 1 should be in around 250 bhp. This is my first reply on this site :D
I would say do it but probably go on a dyno as it would be more tailored to your car than a basic out of the box map

Reactions: jimojameso
Power readings fluctuate between different dynos, maintaining, calibration is of course detrimental, I would try a few other dynos for comparisons to get the best average.

I would say that as long as your butt dyno is loving the extra torque and power who cares. 370 sounds about right. it would be worth at least putting in a performance panel filter (40 quid) and if you feel inclined the OEM intake mod listed in the FAQ section. Makes the top end feel a little brisker even on a stock car.

I would say that as long as your butt dyno is loving the extra torque and power who cares. 370 sounds about right. it would be worth at least putting in a performance panel filter (40 quid) and if you feel inclined the OEM intake mod listed in the FAQ section. Makes the top end feel a little brisker even on a stock car.
Thanks, will take a look at the panel filters. See what the best bang for the buck is.

Thanks, will take a look at the panel filters. See what the best bang for the buck is.
I use the pipercross one in mine but there are others. I dont bother cleaning it either just replace it with a new one every 10k or so. The tuner I used recommend the BMC one.

I use the Pipercross one, and clean it every 5-10k, better than replacing as not to add to landfill and plastic waste.

The best air filter in the world is a stock paper one , your turbo compressor blades will thank you for it .

Reactions: Harvey
Interesting watch.

There is a video on youtube where they developed a machine to measure the filtration of many different filters, but I can't seem to find it anymore

OE paper for me as I had a back to back test on a rolling road with OE paper and Ramair panel filter and lost power as shown below. If your going Stage 1 stick with OE paper filter FTW ;)

S3_power_graph_010621_filtersSmall.jpg

The results are rather interesting & speak for themselves:

Ramair panel filter- 310.4bhp(314.7PS/231.4KW) / 316.5FtLb(429.1Nm)

Standard panel filter - 309.8bhp(314.1PS/231.0KW) / 324.4FtLb(439.9Nm)

To summarise the comparison the Ramair gained 0.6bhp & lost 10.8ftlb. As a driver you basically wouldn’t feel any difference between them & this is why I wanted the comparison simply to prove a point.

I was just in contact with Mallory about booking my S3 in. Did you get the gearbox tuned on top of this or was it just the dyno remap you opted for?

I was just in contact with Mallory about booking my S3 in. Did you get the gearbox tuned on top of this or was it just the dyno remap you opted for?
I just went for a stage 1 map. From reading around I found that TCU map is mainly for Stage 2 and beyond but everyone to their own on that.

Their facilities are quite neat you can view your car on the dyno through the window in the waiting are and they have a live screen showing you the run plus coffee and tea :).

also YouTuber Matt Armstrong has his garage there so you may catch him and his cars there. He was there when I went but didn’t interact with him as he looked quite busy and didn’t want to bother him.

OE paper for me as I had a back to back test on a rolling road with OE paper and Ramair panel filter and lost power as shown below. If your going Stage 1 stick with OE paper filter FTW ;)

To summarise the comparison the Ramair gained 0.6bhp & lost 10.8ftlb. As a driver you basically wouldn’t feel any difference between them & this is why I wanted the comparison simply to prove a point.
Looks like that’s my mind made up then. OE paper filters for life

Reactions: Gazwould

Do people expect to see/feel a power difference from a filter?

I fitted mine and did some back to back testing, and the throttle response was somewhat improved with the Pipercross, so I kept that. I didnt expect power gains.

Reactions: Damo S
Do people expect to see/feel a power difference from a filter?

I fitted mine and did some back to back testing, and the throttle response was somewhat improved with the Pipercross, so I kept that. I didnt expect power gains.
Pipercross for me too, along with the OEM intake mod changes, and the butt dyno said it felt better at high rpms. That was replacing a dirty paper one though.

"Ramair panel filter- 310.4bhp(314.7PS/231.4KW) / 316.5FtLb(429.1Nm)
Standard panel filter - 309.8bhp(314.1PS/231.0KW) / 324.4FtLb(439.9Nm)"

Curious makes more power but less torque, suggesting there is something else here at play and not all down to the filter

Pipercross for me too, along with the OEM intake mod changes, and the butt dyno said it felt better at high rpms. That was replacing a dirty paper one though.

"Ramair panel filter- 310.4bhp(314.7PS/231.4KW) / 316.5FtLb(429.1Nm)
Standard panel filter - 309.8bhp(314.1PS/231.0KW) / 324.4FtLb(439.9Nm)"

Curious makes more power but less torque, suggesting there is something else here at play and not all down to the filter

If they just swapped the filters over without making any adjustments for it in the map, its likely not to function as well as the filter it was mapped with.

Reactions: Damo S
If they just swapped the filters over without making any adjustments for it in the map, its likely not to function as well as the filter it was mapped with.
Would you need to change the map for a different filter than oe ? Doesn’t the maf tell the ecu that there’s more flow coming so that it can adjust its ratios accordingly? Surely having to map your car each time you shove in a filter different to oe would be a waste.

Would you need to change the map for a different filter than oe ? Doesn’t the maf tell the ecu that there’s more flow coming so that it can adjust its ratios accordingly? Surely having to map your car each time you shove in a filter different to oe would be a waste.

If you have a custom map, generally ANY modifications you make to the engine/running gear means a map tweak will be necessary to get the most from it. Filters are obviously pretty minimal in the grand scheme of things. On the newer VAG engines, its not detrimental to not do it as they are pretty sophisticated, but you just wouldn't get the most from it all.

A lot of people just use off the shelf maps now (as I do with AMD) , its kinda watered down real mapping. My Impreza for example had around ten map tweaks in its lifetime from when I changed things or had to say, replace the injectors or the turbo etc.

I also believe your car uses a MAP sensor and not a MAF.

Hi chaps.
Just had my S3 tuned on the dyno by Mallory Performance and I have to say if the car put a smile on my face before now it’s even bigger.
On thing that caught my eye was on the base run to see what the car was running stock it came up as 322BHP! I was expecting this to be around 306-310 or even less give Ive had it since 2017. According to the guys, majority of these car run higher numbers stock than what Audi claimed them to be! They’ve seen a huge range of stock BHP numbers in the Audis they worked on even their development car was running higher to what was claimed.

Anyway car is now sitting comfortably at 370bhp at stage 1. The guys did a brilliant job with the map as the power delivery is nice and smooth through the gears unlike some others that I’ve been in which just spike and drop down after a few gears.

Would definitely recommend these guys.
do you mind me asking what sort of money it set you back as tuners prices these days are all over the shop ?

Is your car bone standard or have you done anything like turbo elbows / intake etc ?

also did they doing certain maps on different drive select modes? heard people will add pop bangs etc on dynamic and remove it completely with other drive modes, not a huge fan of overrun cracks and all that but a pop crackle or bang on up shifts is a little amusing

do you mind me asking what sort of money it set you back as tuners prices these days are all over the shop ?

Is your car bone standard or have you done anything like turbo elbows / intake etc ?
I paid 400 for the on the dyno tune. They did ask if I want overrun added in but I said no. I'm sure if you ask them they will be able to advise what they can add or remove. Not sure if they will charge more for it. It best to shop around and get multiple quotes from different shops and see what best matched your price and requirements.

What's it like then?
I can't imagine needing anymore power really though I often wonder if mine has been remapped already, as I've kept up with some pretty decent cars. Obliterated a mapped S1, kept up with an M140i (which sounded much nicer than my S3), ran out of road before we could see... obliterated a loud impreza classic of some description twice, I THINK I might have a downpipe / sport cat as the top of my downpipe doesn't look like an OEM one, could be wrong though. Airbox / inlet pipe looks oem. And it's a lot louder than oem even when I had the flaps turned on. It also seems to suffer from heatsoak when hot and driving hard which leads me to believe it's hitting tolerances and needs an FMIC / inlet pipes.

What's it like then?
I can't imagine needing anymore power really though I often wonder if mine has been remapped already, as I've kept up with some pretty decent cars. Obliterated a mapped S1, kept up with an M140i (which sounded much nicer than my S3), ran out of road before we could see... obliterated a loud impreza classic of some description twice, I THINK I might have a downpipe / sport cat as the top of my downpipe doesn't look like an OEM one, could be wrong though. Airbox / inlet pipe looks oem. And it's a lot louder than oem even when I had the flaps turned on. It also seems to suffer from heatsoak when hot and driving hard which leads me to believe it's hitting tolerances and needs an FMIC / inlet pipes.
Its a lot livelier now compared to what it was like when it was stock. For me stage 1 is plenty so probably wont be chasing more power anytime soon. It was more of a case of unlocking the cars full potential.

I would say take your car down to a dyno or a few and see what numbers they run. Presume you bought it used?

What's it like then?

An easy and cheap solution to find out. Buy the torque pro app for your phone and an ELM327 ODB2 port dongle. about 12 quid for the pair on amazon. YOu can then run diagnostics on your car including checking fault codes etc. Plug the dongle in, fire up the app, display the turbo boost pressure dial, and see what boost your car is running when you floor it, say in 4th gear. It will hold a peak display value so you dont have to watch the gauge when booting it. Anything over 16, 17psi or around 1.2 bar has been tuned. If it has you'll probably see over 21 psi / 1.4 bar (mine is running 22.5psi / 1.5bar).

Last edited:
Reactions: nothingness
An easy and cheap solution to find out. Buy the torque pro app for your phone and an ELM327 ODB2 port dongle. about 12 quid for the pair on amazon. YOu can then run diagnostics on your car including checking fault codes etc. Plug the dongle in, fire up the app, display the turbo boost pressure dial, and see what boost your car is running when you floor it, say in 4th gear. It will hold a peak display value so you dont have to watch the gauge when booting it. Anything over 16, 17psi or around 1.2 bar has been tuned. If it has you'll probably see over 21 psi / 1.4 bar (mine is running 22.5psi / 1.5bar).
You got any links to those devices?

You got any links to those devices?

Amazon product

Its actually very useful and I would recommend having this diagnostic tool to anyone, especially with a tuned car. Not only does it scan / clear fault codes you can get lots of car related data and some of the cars logging. Most relevant are the misfire counts it stores (last drive, avg over last 10 drives). If this is more than a handful on any cylinder then you may have problems. I check mine on a regular basis. The ECU is very clever and good at hiding some running problems without informing you, which can result in expensive damage. The misfire counts never lie though. There are a few threads about misfires and various woes on here (including one of my own). It's just a good thing to know about and check for your own peace of mind.

You need the torque pro app for your phone as well.

Last edited:
Thanks, I will look into this, I have an iPhone but no iTunes account so I'm not sure if apps work.

Thanks, I will look into this, I have an iPhone but no iTunes account so I'm not sure if apps work.
There is also one called dashCommand. In theory it should provide the same kind of features / data display. I haven't used it though so cant comment on it.

What's it like then?
pics and we might eb able to see if OEM