Facelift Finance and Wheels

A £46K spec S3, and they're offering you £26k after only 6 months? Really?

Bit of a clean up, valet, sort the alloys out. Say £600 max spend by dealer. Up for sale for £35k within the week. Then make another £5k off you for the RS3. Wow! You'll be on their Christmas Card list for next year

Now you've gone through the figures, I think you're completely Bonkers to go through with this. You must have a hell of a salary, or still live at home with your parents?

Also bare in mind the additional costs running an RS3 over an S3. MPG will be in the early-mid 20's compared to 30's for the S3. Additional servicing costs, brakes, tyres etc. Then insurance will be more. If you can easily afford it, then great. But years ago, people were buying Subaru STI's, then quickly realised they cost a hell of a lot to run. Many ended up losing a fortune by selling quick to get rid.

If You're paying £660 pm now on £41, I assume once specced up the RS3 will be £52-55k. Minus £5k down. So monthly repayments £800+ pm?

But, if its what you want and affordable ......

I don’t know the exact amount Audi will offer for the PX - I know the minimum amount which was £25,750 based on 17k miles. But I won’t be anywhere near that. I will be most likely around the 14k mark. I also don’t know exactly what the finance will be to settle, according to the auto settlement option for Audi finance the settlement up to Feb 1st is £38,960 - so the negative equity would be closer to £12k. Which is too much.

But AutoTrader says my PX price would be £29,200 - which if I was close to that would then be £9K negative equity so the truth is I don’t know exactly yet.

If it was £12k then the desposit would be £17k which is too much for my liking - an extra £2k.

So yes I know its expensive, yes I know there will be negative equity the question is what will the dealer do to close the deal - because if they want more I would either walk away or tell them to wait another month or so for me to save - both of which I would hope would make them offer me a better deal, but I just don’t know. I have emailed the dealer to reiterate that my maximum is £13k on collection and anymore would mean no deal.

I want the car but I agreed to £15k when we ordered and I paid a £2k deposit. So I am prepared to pay £13k on collection. No more. We will see. The payments are around £700pm so only another £50.

As far as economy goes - I actually started a thread on this - and the feedback seems to be that the MPG is the same pretty much as my S3.

Last edited:
The problem i would have if i were going to pay £700 each month is after 1-2 years when the car is not new and exciting anymore, i would still have to pay those £700 every month...

I don’t know the exact amount Audi will offer for the PX - I know the minimum amount which was £25,750 based on 17k miles. But I won’t be anywhere near that. I will be most likely around the 14k mark. I also don’t know exactly what the finance will be to settle, according to the auto settlement option for Audi finance the settlement up to Feb 1st is £38,960 - so the negative equity would be closer to £12k. Which is too much.

But AutoTrader says my PX price would be £29,200 - which if I was close to that would then be £9K negative equity so the truth is I don’t know exactly yet.

If it was £12k then the desposit would be £17k which is too much for my liking - an extra £2k.

So yes I know its expensive, yes I know there will be negative equity the question is what will the dealer do to close the deal - because if they want more I would either walk away or tell them to wait another month or so for me to save - both of which I would hope would make them offer me a better deal, but I just don’t know. I have emailed the dealer to reiterate that my maximum is £13k on collection and anymore would mean no deal.

I want the car but I agreed to £15k when we ordered and I paid a £2k deposit. So I am prepared to pay £13k on collection. No more. We will see. The payments are around £700pm so only another £50.

As far as economy goes - I actually started a thread on this - and the feedback seems to be that the MPG is the same pretty much as my S3.

I'd be sceptical of the mpg TBH. All depends on how it's driven.

What is the final settlement on the RS3 after 3 years?
£700pm x 12 months x 3 years = £25,200
£2k deposit and £13k settlement on the S3 = £15k
Total cost after 3 years = £40,200

I would assume the settlement to be £30-35k, which I again assume you'd walk away and buy something newer?

Bonkers figures, but if it's affordable. I've been there myself over the years. Sold a Nissan 370Z after 2 years and lost more than I really should have, but I had the chance on an R8, which the price was too good to turn down. Think I'm just getting old, as although I can afford more now than I could before, I just can't justify those types of figures anymore. But when your young with disposable income, then why the hell not. Even if I still think you're bonkers :)

Yep I'm well sceptical too about the mpg.
Same as an S3, you're having a giraffe!
I've had numerous S3s and the RS is a fair bit worse.
Even driving carefully and on a recent motorway trip I only just managed 30mpg.
Around down I get maybe 24 25.
When hooning its very low 20s if that.
The S3 on the other hand i got 44mpg on a long motorway trip. And easily in to the 30s when driving round town.

Reactions: RGBARGEE
My mpg is superb with the RS3 and not materially worse than my old Golf R. It's possibly more the fact that the RS3 encourages you to accelerate more!

Extremely rough maths and rounding up says someone doing 10k miles per year at 30mpg is using 333 gallons. At approx £5 per gallon you're spending £1700 per year on fuel. If that drops to 25mpg the it's costing you about £300 more per year. Relative to the cost of the car, tax, insurance, tyres, servicing etc, it's a drop in the ocean.

I've done 10k miles in mine and it's very slightly worse than the Golf by about 1mpg. And I reckon I drive the RS3 harder. Certainly not something I'm going to worry about.

Reactions: DrEskimo
My mpg is superb with the RS3 and not materially worse than my old Golf R. It's possibly more the fact that the RS3 encourages you to accelerate more!

Extremely rough maths and rounding up says someone doing 10k miles per year at 30mpg is using 333 gallons. At approx £5 per gallon you're spending £1700 per year on fuel. If that drops to 25mpg the it's costing you about £300 more per year. Relative to the cost of the car, tax, insurance, tyres, servicing etc, it's a drop in the ocean.

I've done 10k miles in mine and it's very slightly worse than the Golf by about 1mpg. And I reckon I drive the RS3 harder. Certainly not something I'm going to worry about.

I agree with that one. Easy to get 30mpg on a 100 mile run with RS3. S3 was marginally better but as you say in the big scheme of things nothing to worry about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with that one. Easy to get 30mpg on a 100 mile run with RS3. S3 was marginally better but as you say in the big scheme of things nothing to worry about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We're not supposed to agree on something!!! ;)

Reactions: Terminator x and teslaboy
The S3 on the other hand i got 44mpg on a long motorway trip. And easily in to the 30s when driving round town.
Mine is a steady 26mpg over 40k miles so not bad really.

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Mine is a steady 26mpg over 40k miles so not bad really.

TX.

That’s a figure that I can comfortly live with... if I’m honest I was expecting a good bit less

That’s a figure that I can comfortly live with... if I’m honest I was expecting a good bit less
I'm the same. Now 25.9mpg over 10k pretty hard miles.

Reactions: Phil3
Last 1000 miles cold weather, mainly local 24.1 mpg.

Attachments

• IMG_9407.JPG
    IMG_9407.JPG
    752.6 KB · Views: 93
I'm the same. Now 25.9mpg over 10k pretty hard miles.

I’ve averages a fair bit less on my last 3 cars so the RS3 is a money saver... man maths :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: Terminator x
Whilst I expect it to be slightly worse off as its a larger engine those MPG figures are close enough to my S3 that I don’t think I will notice it.

Dealer emailed me back and said the finance side is down to the finance guy and he will be in touch - which he also told me a month ago and he never emailed me back! But my car will start its build process this week on the tracker and actual progress next week. I’ve booked 4 days in New York from Sunday so when I’m back in the UK it will already be on its way to Emden with a chassis number.

And the chassis number means you can register it with my Audi as a completed car and not only an order - which means I can pretend I already have it! Lol

I've never got 30s driving around town in my S3 FL. Max I've got is 27 in town but on the motorway it is easy to get over 40. Average is 24-25 mpg when driving in Dynamic D mode, 19-20 mpg in Dynamic S mode. Maybe your town roads have very few red lights and low traffic.