First attempt at Wet Sanding

Dubbers1

Top Gear
Reaction score
First of all I am far from a pro at this and I would recommend having a Paint Depth Gauge before attempting this

So heres the orange peel I had on my front arches

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

First I took paint depth measurements, then started off with 1200 grit then 2000 grit and finishing off with 3000 grit

DSC_0033.jpg

DSC_0037.jpg

DSC_0039.jpg

DSC_0056.jpg

DSC_0065.jpg

DSC_0141.jpg

Once I was happy most of the peel was gone I polished it back up with my DA

DSC_0151.jpg

DSC_0157.jpg

DSC_0160.jpg

Once I was happy the gloss had all been restored I sealed the paint and whacked some water on it for an arty shot

DSC_0169.jpg

Obviously far from perfect as it was my first go ever but I am more than pleased with it, makes such a difference just looking at the car

Comments welcome

Thanks, I tried quite a few but I think i ended up with Meguiars 105 on a wool pad and then some Menzerna PO85RE to refine

Threw in some 3M Fast-Cut Plus at some point too

Would of been a whole lot easier with a Rotary but I've not stepped up to the big leagues yet

Nicely done! Very brave indeed. I still get scared everytime I use my DA...wetsanding would just push me over the edge :p

Thanks guys, was a bit of a squeaky bum exercise but now I've done it it wasnt all that bad

Very time consuming but I was taking paint measurements and wiping it down every 2 seconds to make sure I didnt go too far

Great results, just bought some 2500 grade sand paper for our s4 as well. Where did you paint depth gauge from?

Great results, just bought some 2500 grade sand paper for our s4 as well. Where did you paint depth gauge from?

Where did I get it from or where did I measure?

If you're using 2500 grit I hope you have a Rotary because it took a long time getting the gloss back from 3000 grit with my DA, could have just been me though

Nice work mate. Had that wing been resprayed? Normally only see orange peel like that on bmw's! Cracking results though.

Yer I think both of them have seen paint, must have been an all round crap job though cos I think they both have rust bubling up from the wheel well

... I hope you have a Rotary because it took a long time getting the gloss back from 3000 grit with my DA, could have just been me though

That's why I asked what polish you'd used. I always assumed it would be impossible to get sanding marks out with a DA on Audi paint. :) Very nice work. I wouldn't have the bottle for it!

Just go for it mate, results speak for themselves, just go careful near the lines and edges, use lots of water and clay lube (I also added some ONR)

Worst comes to worst and you cant get the marks out, someone will be able to, for a few bob

That's why I asked what polish you'd used. I always assumed it would be impossible to get sanding marks out with a DA on Audi paint. :) Very nice work. I wouldn't have the bottle for it!

no iy is no impossible with a DA as long as you work up to 2500 or 3000 wet sand you will be ok, I use a varaity of Menzerna cut and various polishes and top it of with Zano z3

I'll be using my rotary with 3m fast cut and then go onto using their finer compounds. Any recommendations on measuring the thickness of paint?

you need a paint depth gauge fella not cheap as well, this is one of the cheap versions

Does a paint guage not just tell you the thickness down to metal ??? whats to stop you cutting into the base coat or worse still the primer ??? or can they measure individual paint coats ??

You are right, the ones like mine only measure to the metal but you can get ones that measure each coat and they are MEGA money

The sort of rule of thumb is that you measure the exterior paint surface then take a measurement from inside the door shut or engine bay and subtract it, therefore you have a rough guide of how much clearcoat that you can remove safely as doorshuts receive less clear coat than the exterior

Obviously this is not a sure fire method especially with resprayed panels, just a rough limit than you can try to stay above

I guess if it's only orange peel your doing then as long as you don't go much lower than the lowest points of the peel effect then you should be fine... if that makes sense lol

The other thing to point out is if the panels have been resprayed the thickness is more than OE paint so you do have more to play with.....do you have any closer pictures like the original ones to show that the sanding marks are gone? Glossing up the paint and fully removing the sanding marks are two different things tbh.

Just concerned others jumping at this and thinking its easy

Wouldnt have to go through all this if audi didnt have shyyte paint.Mine looks like a fecking greengrocers window!

The other thing to point out is if the panels have been resprayed the thickness is more than OE paint so you do have more to play with.....do you have any closer pictures like the original ones to show that the sanding marks are gone? Glossing up the paint and fully removing the sanding marks are two different things tbh.

Just concerned others jumping at this and thinking its easy

Quite.Need proper lights to show everything up I guess.I hate my paintwork as its very peely, but im dangerous with a da let alone a sander!

I know what you mean I've wet sanded the front driver wing on mine and I personally think it looks the best bit on the car now lol...its just having the time to do it all!