First Audi, 2.0 TDI Sport Dsg, and pos gearbox problem

jin2

Reaction score
Hi all, I took the plunge on Fri and bought my self an A3 2.0 Tdi Sport DSG, 04 plate
Its a fantastic car, great fuel economy and loads of power. (Comming from a 1.3 fiesta)

Just a quick question, a couple of times now I have lost all power, and the PNRDS flashes on the computer, the engine will rev but the car wont go anywhere.
I have to stop, select P, then turn the engine off and on again, and this fixes it instantly.

This has happened under breaking, like when I was parking in tesco car park at 5mph.
It only seems to happen in sport or manual mode(using the flappy paddles), so far never in D, and always at low revs under 1500

I have driven the car now for just under 200miles and this has only happened 3 times, it didn't even show up on the 2 test drives I took it on.

Could this be a Gearbox ecu problem, or something else ?, a faulty sensor maybe ?

You need to do a scan with VCDS to see what the error faults are to tell you were the problem is.

If you dont have vcds, then look HERE for a member local to you who may be willing to help

This is the only way you will get a accurate diagnose.

I had the car scanned when I took it into my local garage for a wheel balance, the only 2 fault code that came up where:

• 28775 – no communication with gear selector module
    • u0103 intermittent
  • 18262 power train data bus hardware malfunction
    • p1854 intermittent

I have since driven the car, and despite my best efforts, the PNRDS have not flashed once.
Is it possible these are caused by a loose connection or a bad battery ?

Well that fault suggests wiring or unit faulty, check wiring from gear unit.

Another possible is the gear unit microswitch is a little temperamental, its positioned underneath where the gear lever sits when its in park, its probably intermittant so its thinking its still in park even if the gearbox is saying opposite.

You could try taking the gear surround of, sticking it it into sport when stationary & then pressing on/off the switch to see if its just crap inside that needs to be freed up, had same issue with my SB.

Although flashing gear display has also been known to be the Gearbox CU at fault.

You could also check the negative cable as they've known to corrode & not have as good a connection to the chassis, gearbox etc, some sandpaper is what I used, job done.

Thanks very much, i am hopeing its just simple corroding or bad switch.
Where are the negative cables located, inside the engine bay ?, as i dont have haynes manual or somthign similar at the moment to help.

Look under the battery if in engine bay & under airbox, easy enough to remove.

Thanks for the info, ill do that as soon as i can.

Just had the 'PRNDS' lights flash today, happend while i was pulling off from a junction, in 'D'.
The 'ESP' light has been on since this happend.
This happens so speradically, there seems to be no way to force this to happen.
What could be causing this ?

Well its most likely all related so need to investigate it further.