First Drive of an 8V

Jimbbobw1977

Reaction score
The A3 8P cabriolet we have has gone in for a service so I booked a courtesy car as Audi generally give decent courtesy cars.

I have been given an A3 8V 1.6tdi 110 Sport as a loaner for the day. 17 plate with 2k miles on.

If anyone is interested I’ll post my thoughts on it later - bearing in mind my daily driver car is a Mondeo MK5 2.0tdci 180 Titanium X pack....

Reactions: honda ctr
You lucky I've handed my car today and got a1 I'm 6ft 3 18 stones how funny I look.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
You lucky I've handed my car today and got a1 I'm 6ft 3 18 stones how funny I look.

When I pulled up to drop it off they had a lovely A4 S line loan vehicle and I see another guy drive off in an A5 loan.. so a little disappointed to get a basic A3!! But not as disappointed if I had got on A1 - at least the A3 8V is something I’ve never driven to try..

Reactions: Audi Bairn
If it's 17 plate, shouldn't it be 116 (85kW) engine though?

On the loan agreement it says A3 Sport 110 - I will have a proper poke around the car shortly and have a look to see if I can it properly

Oh, it's pre-2017 engine with 77kW/105hp. I didn't know they still fit those engines to FL models at all, you learn something new every day. :D

New engine is 85kW/116hp.

Oh, it's pre-2017 engine with 77kW/105hp. I didn't know they still fit those engines to FL models at all, you learn something new every day. :D

New engine is 85kW/116hp.

It could do with a performance boost certainly! And noise reduction. Wouldn’t be fair to compare though as the 8P we have is a 2.0tsi 197 Petrol and the Mondeo 2.0tdci 180

I’ve had a chance now to have a good drive and poke around and pass my thoughts.

Initially disappointed at having a low spec 1.6tdi however it’s fine, it’s not spectacular in any way but it’s not poor in any way neither.

Engine - noisy would sum it up. Commercial vehicle like in sound reminds me of the old 1.9tdi PD. Vibrations can be felt and the engine can be heard most of the time. However, for a 1.6tdi it performs well enough. It’s not designed for speed, but it picks up well around town, and nipping in out of gaps. It can be laggy on the motorway but nothing drastic. Sometimes can be caught out when you want to accelerate in third, however you need to drop to second. I haven’t done anything economy test wise. Long term average is 46mpg in 2k miles which is a little poor.

Gearbox - clearly the same box as fitted to the 8P just a little slicker. So not as baggy as the 8P. The throw is short enough. I was surprised to find a little bit of a grind when selecting reverse at a slow forward roll. First new car I’ve experienced this in for a while.

Ride - It rides well. A check underneath reveals it to have a torsion beam bar. It feels fairly soft, a good blend really, not to soft nor to firm. Suspension patter can be heard. Body roll exists although nothing drastic - just not sporting.

Handling - to be honest I haven’t pushed it, I’ve driven it normally. The steering has minimal feel to it, although it’s quick to change direction. It feels like an improved version of what’s on the 8P. Weighting is fine and goes round corners fine. No particular gripes. Nothing to excite or complain about.

MMI - it’s quick acting system. I had an issue with car play. It was working fine then it would play. When I pressed play using the mmi wheel the sound came out of my phone. Exited went back in, again no sound although the time wa ms counting up. Turned the volume wheel it said not available. Pulled the usb out and out back in and it worked.

Easy enough to use although the graphics are slightly low res.

Sound quality is okay - can be bass heavy but not in a good way when set high, mediocre in quality - probably best to upgrade sounds similar to the new Corsas I have to use at work.

Build - Not as impressive as I thought it would be to be honest. Plastics on the Lower parts of the doors, centre tunnels, and seat surrounds are scratchy and the same as any run of the mill hatch and not premium. The air vents themselves are really cheap feeling like it’s made out of recycled plant pots. The bonnet release mechanism is the one of the worst I’ve seen. Rattle wise? Mostly none apart from the really rough surfaces roads which a few popped up, which to be fair happens in most car because of the resonance created. It was fairly nice inside albeit nothing special. I would imagine a higher spec model to be better. Design wise it’s nice, if I were speccing one though I think the VC is a must - the car I had did not.

All in all as I said nothing particularly bad or brilliant. What I did notice however is it didn’t feel as quality as the 8P I felt - certain elements felt like it had been built to a cost. There was no vanity lights for example, no LED interior lighting, no fog lights, no parking sensors although strangely it has things like Zenons, sat nav.

A decent specced A3 with a decent engine would definitely make more sense

They tried this with me a few months back, I'm same height with an extra pound or 2. I just looked at the lass and said are you joking, she went back in and got me an A3 saloon. Last one in had was an A4 Avant.

Interesting views.

I'm the opposite, I think that the interior feel and looks of the 8v are in several leagues above my previous 8p.

Both my new 8v and previous 8p A3's were Sport spec so I am able to make a direct comparison, and the 8v wins in almost every aspect.

In fact, the car as a whole is a big improvement on the previous version, in my opinion of course.

Reactions: Rideen
Interesting views.

I'm the opposite, I think that the interior feel and looks of the 8v are in several leagues above my previous 8p.

Both my new 8v and previous 8p A3's were Sport spec so I am able to make a direct comparison, and the 8v wins in almost every aspect.

In fact, the car as a whole is a big improvement on the previous version, in my opinion of course.

For me it’s the lower lookin
Interesting views.

Certain areas it appears better - HVAC controls and MMI are certainly a step above a given considering how long the 8P exsisted for.

However looking at things like the lower door panels, door handles, glove box, centre console build/plastics, and the bonnet opening catch which is flimsy, loss of the floor hinged accelerator pedal you can see the little areas money has been saved.

Don’t get me wrong it was a good car - however I could see the areas the bean counters had become involved.

The worst part was sitting in a £46k RS3 with the same interior

It's funny what different peoples opinions are of certain things.

For me the 8v excels in every area over the 8p, quality of interior, fit and finish and the driving dynamics of the 8v make the 8p feel like a big wallowing boat.

I loved my 8p, until I drove the 8v.

Horses for courses.

Reactions: Rideen
It's funny what different peoples opinions are of certain things.

For me the 8v excels in every area over the 8p, quality of interior, fit and finish and the driving dynamics of the 8v make the 8p feel like a big wallowing boat.

I loved my 8p, until I drove the 8v.

Horses for courses.
Certainly agree regarding the driving dynamics, even though the one I had today had a torsion beam rear suspension. The ride was better, it was less vague, the gear box was smoother, steering feel is leagues ahead - the 8P was is literally turn and pint and no feel.

I didn’t push it though, or do rough undulating roads which would be he torsion beams undoing.