First drive with my matrix led headlights

Daz4311

Reaction score
Just back from visiting family out in the country..was a long 2 hour drive along long dark country roads..the matrix headlights are amazing..you can see them moving about..lighting up the road ect..very bright..but now I am home..I'm a little worried about the amount of times I got flashed by people thinking I was in full beam all the while..I even got flashed by a motorbike cop....so looking for other people's findings with these lights please???

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Off topic slightly, but I got blinded by a 5 series Beemer with these magic lights in some fog the other week. Mefinks they don't work as well as the manufacturers would have us believe...

They're ****** brilliant...

Bosch / Hella et al have not yet developed the technology to the point where it's able to predict the future or read minds, and the matrix lights only seem to dim when the object/car/in question is within a certain range or carrying a certain level of light intensity, so yes, some oversensitive little souls seem to think they're being dazzled by them if they catch them before the lights have a chance to react.

This is especially true if the other driver is squinting behind dirty, knackered or corroded headlights of his own, that have degenerated over many years of apathetic (lack of) maintenance, bargain basement lamps and improper cleaning to the point where they can just about muster enough lumens to attract a randy firefly. In this case the driver in question will find anything brighter than Rudolfs nose a bit dazzling, and wrongly assume you're just being das Audi driver.

What I particularly like though is the hidden road safety advisory function. Audi it seems has taken a distinctly un-Germanic stance when it comes to helping ones fellow traveller, and with Matrix headlights the halfwits who drive about in the dark on sidelights or only one functioning headlight seem to get the full beams for rather longer. If only it could be adjusted to fire eyeball melting death rays through the ocular sockets of the sort of mouth breathing moose knuckle that thinks that fog-lights are a suitable replacement for headlights I'd be a happy man indeed. Perhaps @DJAlix knows a few tricks that will assist me in 'correcting' their mistaken belief that a corsa with front fogs on is a dead ringer for an F40 when it gets close to bedtime...

IMG 1141

• Haha
Reactions: nothingness, martinlop, dandav1985 and 15 others
They quite clearly state in my A4 manual that the matrix lights should be turned to manual because the light sensors cannot detect fog. So I think they do know more than we do. They also state that they are only there to assist the driver and the auto headlamps are used when required. Of course the stupid amongst use are probably ignorant and don't read the manual like those who see a bit of mist and immediately turn on their headlamps and both front and rear 'fog' lamps. Then blame the car when things go wrong for them...

Reactions: s3_trev, richinsoton, azibux1 and 2 others
As far as auto dipping is concerned, my bog standard light with high beam assist are extremely good and very reactive. They dip as soon as they detect anything coming (and occasionally a bright reflective road sign!) I've never been flashed by another driver when using high beam assist, so would have thought that the matrix light should be just as reactive.
However, it could be just the very intensity of them. Remember, as people get older their night vision becomes much more sensitive, and some of the latest headlights are just so bright.

My variable range beams are pretty good for oncoming traffic, not so good for traffic in front of you though - you have to get closer than I normally would before switching to dipped beam for them to do anything.

Am finding the Matrix lights to be pretty amazing. Have been testing by driving everywhere on full beams and letting the light sensors do the work, not been flashed once as yet. Am gonna give it a few more miles and then code the Matrix HBA function to remember the last setting / be able to activate at lower speeds etc.

Reactions: MikeSel^
Am finding the Matrix lights to be pretty amazing. Have been testing by driving everywhere on full beams and letting the light sensors do the work, not been flashed once as yet. Am gonna give it a few more miles and then code the Matrix HBA function to remember the last setting / be able to activate at lower speeds etc.
Love the brightness of them..but was flashed about a dozen times earlier..by the end of my journey I was a bit disheartened with them really

I seem to have no problem flicking the main beam switch off and on :tearsofjoy:

TX.

Reactions: AudiNutta, Zak0123, batch and 6 others
Love the brightness of them..but was flashed about a dozen times earlier..by the end of my journey I was a bit disheartened with them really

Just give them a flash back, show them what full main beam really looks like* :tearsofjoy:

*I will not be responsible for any people you blind or who crash due to this

Reactions: AdamInKent, VinceXR, AudiNutta and 4 others
They're ****** brilliant...

Bosch / Hella et al have not yet developed the technology to the point where it's able to predict the future or read minds, and the matrix lights only seem to dim when the object/car/in question is within a certain range or carrying a certain level of light intensity, so yes, some oversensitive little souls seem to think they're being dazzled by them if they catch them before the lights have a chance to react.

This is especially true if the other driver is squinting behind dirty, knackered or corroded headlights of his own, that have degenerated over many years of apathetic (lack of) maintenance, bargain basement lamps and improper cleaning to the point where they can just about muster enough lumens to attract a randy firefly. In this case the driver in question will find anything brighter than Rudolfs nose a bit dazzling, and wrongly assume you're just being das Audi driver.

What I particularly like though is the hidden road safety advisory function. Audi it seems has taken a distinctly un-Germanic stance when it comes to helping ones fellow traveller, and with Matrix headlights the halfwits who drive about in the dark on sidelights or only one functioning headlight seem to get the full beams for rather longer. If only it could be adjusted to fire eyeball melting death rays through the ocular sockets of the sort of mouth breathing moose knuckle that thinks that fog-lights are a suitable replacement for headlights I'd be a happy man indeed. Perhaps @DJAlix knows a few tricks that will assist me in 'correcting' their mistaken belief that a corsa with front fogs on is a dead ringer for an F40 when it gets close to bedtime...

View attachment 116976
Randy firefly... Pmsl

Reactions: Joe4842, Tom.H, davc and 1 other person
Ha, quality read @GSB ...

Standard LED's are like having two light houses in the front of the car, so I can only imagine how bight the Matrix lights are. I had the main beam on for the first time yesterday and I literally thought the sun had come out.

Reactions: AudiNutta and Audi Bairn
Matrix LEDs are no brighter than the standard LEDs surely? It's just that they can dance around the other cars on the road...

Reactions: Jassyo06
Matrix LEDs are no brighter than the standard LEDs surely? It's just that they can dance around the other cars on the road...

Yeah I think they're the same, just saying the standard one's on my car are awesome! I thought the Matrix high beam was different though?

There's just more of them. 30 separate main beams in each headlight all individually focussed on different areas ahead of the car. The beams are dispersed so that you can never actually look back at the full glare of any more than a few of them, so to the oncoming traffic, they don't look a great deal different.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Mark_86
As an aside A3 Audi 2017 standard LED lights got A reviews by the IHHS in the USA.... http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/audi/a3-4-door-sedan...check out the other vehicles, most got not very good reviews or even a fail rating. It is a very thorough testing procedure.
Note: Matrix are not available in North America as they have not received certification, as of this date

Reactions: Jassyo06
Ha, quality read @GSB ...

Standard LED's are like having two light houses in the front of the car, so I can only imagine how bight the Matrix lights are. I had the main beam on for the first time yesterday and I literally thought the sun had come out.

Come on....lol light houses....***....lol

Reactions: Mark_86
Said this before say it again Matrix headlights are very expensive,its a Marmite option and only to the Audi Anorak...ie just some of us on here know the difference externally,maybe they would have been more popular if Audi had made a real difference in there external Aesthetic design just like they did in the old car but they hav'nt, shame though....as they work awesomely well on unlit roads,off topic slightly as well, but the old.....lol A3 S-Line/S3, Door variants all had different designed led tail lights,now they are all the same..NOW,cost cutting AGAIN...by Audi,l work with lndustrial/commercial LED lighting constantly in buildings....they all have a very pleasing light to them with some extravagant designs.....but have a very sharp cut off point...they don't spread light as well as say the old Fluorescent/incandescent lamps,same can be said of Xenon lights....LED headlights can be manufactured in a smaller headlight enclosure smaller than a Xenon bulb enclosure....ie sleeker sharper headlight enclosures,what l am really trying to say is, LED headlights look more aesthetically over all in new car design but don't offer a superior light output over a Xenon lamp..Led tech...still to be mastered

The Mondeos LED's when on auto have a slower reaction time when theres fog about.
Incidently, I've had years of driving with Xenons without any issues at all. I can see the road ahead and people can see me. Do I need anything better. Nope!

Reactions: batch
The Mondeos LED's when on auto have a slower reaction time when theres fog about.
Incidently, I've had years of driving with Xenons without any issues at all. I can see the road ahead and people can see me. Do I need anything better. Nope!
You know, I said the same thing many years ago when I had Mini's and Triumphs with 7" sealed beam units made by Lucas, the "Lord of Darkness".

I then saw the light when I bought a car that used the vastly superior arrangement of an H4 halogen lamp and a prismatic lens. The difference was like night and day. A later car showed me what a well designed reflector with could do, and it's replacement illuminated my understanding with a well focused projector. A lightbulb moment led to my buying a car with projecting xenon lamps, and another purchase showed me the way with cornering lamps. Each time there was an incremental and worthwhile improvement. It's not all progress though, I dimly recall that first generation LED's were more of a flicker than a flame, but the developers have since turned up the wick and they're now on par with previous technologies.

Matrix is an altogether different proposition. The concept has been used for years with lamps casting more light to the left side of the road (UK) than the right to allow you to see with dazzling incoming traffic, but now you don't have to choose between the two binary extremes of good visibility or pitch blackness out beyond 100 yards. Matrix gives you the best of both worlds and means you can see almost as far when there's traffic coming at you. If you struggle with night vision, it's like getting a new of eyes that are 20 years younger. The difference between the lighting performance on my S3 compared to my poverty spec Clio is stark, and really places a spotlight on just how far we've come in a few short years.

So people with matrix headlights....what setting do you have them on in the main...short .medium or long delay

Whatever it came in out of the box. I've not seen the need to change them...

You know, I said the same thing many years ago when I had Mini's and Triumphs with 7" sealed beam units made by Lucas, the "Lord of Darkness".

I then saw the light when I bought a car that used the vastly superior arrangement of an H4 halogen lamp and a prismatic lens. The difference was like night and day. A later car showed me what a well designed reflector with could do, and it's replacement illuminated my understanding with a well focused projector. A lightbulb moment led to my buying a car with projecting xenon lamps, and another purchase showed me the way with cornering lamps. Each time there was an incremental and worthwhile improvement. It's not all progress though, I dimly recall that first generation LED's were more of a flicker than a flame, but the developers have since turned up the wick and they're now on par with previous technologies.

Matrix is an altogether different proposition. The concept has been used for years with lamps casting more light to the left side of the road (UK) than the right to allow you to see with dazzling incoming traffic, but now you don't have to choose between the two binary extremes of good visibility or pitch blackness out beyond 100 yards. Matrix gives you the best of both worlds and means you can see almost as far when there's traffic coming at you. If you struggle with night vision, it's like getting a new of eyes that are 20 years younger. The difference between the lighting performance on my S3 compared to my poverty spec Clio is stark, and really places a spotlight on just how far we've come in a few short years.

I'm under no doubt the new tech is better. That goes without saying. It's just that I managed perfectly fine without it.

Reactions: batch
They quite clearly state in my A4 manual that the matrix lights should be turned to manual because the light sensors cannot detect fog. So I think they do know more than we do. They also state that they are only there to assist the driver and the auto headlamps are used when required. Of course the stupid amongst use are probably ignorant and don't read the manual like those who see a bit of mist and immediately turn on their headlamps and both front and rear 'fog' lamps. Then blame the car when things go wrong for them...

Is their away to turn off the function of the Matrix LED Headlights ?

Is their away to turn off the function of the Matrix LED Headlights ?

You have to activate the auto matrix function by pushing the stalk away from you, then you have the symbol on the dash showing they're in auto. If you don't then you'll just be using the normal led headlights.

Just back from visiting family out in the country..was a long 2 hour drive along long dark country roads..the matrix headlights are amazing..you can see them moving about..lighting up the road ect..very bright..but now I am home..I'm a little worried about the amount of times I got flashed by people thinking I was in full beam all the while..I even got flashed by a motorbike cop....so looking for other people's findings with these lights please???

I have the Matrix LED on my A3 saloon (though not with the self adjust option. They really are far much brighter than the halogens on my previous A3. Mine also has 'high beam assist' though this function isn't 100% reliable. They have a tendency to stay on far too long as vehicles get progressively closer (and more upset). I don't bother with the HBA any more.

I have the Matrix LED on my A3 saloon (though not with the self adjust option. They really are far much brighter than the halogens on my previous A3. Mine also has 'high beam assist' though this function isn't 100% reliable. They have a tendency to stay on far too long as vehicles get progressively closer (and more upset). I don't bother with the HBA any more.

'Not with the self adjust option"?

'Not with the self adjust option"?
Sounds like normal LED lamps. Way to tell:
  • Lights have 2 inner sections / segments in addition to your main beam bulb = Standard LED
  • Lights have 3 inner sections / segments in addition to your main beam bulb = Matrix LED

Sounds like normal LED lamps. Way to tell:
  • Lights have 2 inner sections / segments in addition to your main beam bulb = Standard LED
  • Lights have 3 inner sections / segments in addition to your main beam bulb = Matrix LED
That's what I was thinking. Also, turn off the HBA on matrix and I'm pretty sure you lose the matrix functionality. I can think of better ways to hose £900 away...

That's what I was thinking. Also, turn off the HBA on matrix and I'm pretty sure you lose the matrix functionality. I can think of better ways to hose £900 away...
Correct, HBA off = Matrix functionality off.

And deactivate the auto by pulling the lever towards you...

Err, can you still "flash" full beams when Matrix is enabled then?

Still need the ability to flash/blind the muppets coming the other way with their full beams on.

Err, can you still "flash" full beams when Matrix is enabled then?

Still need the ability to flash/blind the muppets coming the other way with their full beams on.

Yep, push away from you to stick them in auto, push away again to turn auto off. Pull towards you to flash as normal, whether the Matrix is in auto or not.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Vertigo1
Yep, push away from you to stick them in auto, push away again to turn auto off. Pull towards you to flash as normal, whether the Matrix is in auto or not.

Aha thanks, so basically the lighting stalk doesn't "latch" when you push it away from you like it does with basic full beam but instead becomes a "spring toggle" much like the pull flash action, with each push away toggling off or on?

Can you override Matrix and just put full beams on all the time?

Aha thanks, so basically the lighting stalk doesn't "latch" when you push it away from you like it does with basic full beam but instead becomes a "spring toggle" much like the pull flash action, with each push away toggling off or on?

Yep that's it, you push away to stick them in auto and it springs back.

You can still have main beam on all the time yeah.

I'm not 100% sure, so maybe someone can verify it, but I think this is how it works:

One push away: Matrix on
One more push away: Manual high beams on
One pull with matrix/high beams on: Matrix/high beams off
One pull with matrix/high beams off: Flash with high beams

One push away - matrix on, stick returns to neutral.
One more push away switches off matrix.
Pull with matrix on flashes full beam

No lock on for full beam with matrix lights. On or off. Suppose the matrix system is doing it.

One option l have chosen that l feel will just be a gimmick given the cost, but hey glad your enjoying them

Thanks all.

I'm sure I saw a video somewhere (but can't find it now) of the matrix lights doing a kind of "Knight Rider" initialisation routine at start-up. I'm not counting any chickens but, if they do that, it's worth £900 on it's own LOL!

One push away - matrix on, stick returns to neutral.
One more push away switches off matrix.
Pull with matrix on flashes full beam

No lock on for full beam with matrix lights. On or off. Suppose the matrix system is doing it.

Right @Vertigo1 I've just been outside to double check, with headlights in auto and on obviously as it's dark, if you push the stalk away from you matrix is now in auto, push the stalk away from you again and you have full beam on, push stalk away from you again and you're back to auto. Pulling the stalk towards you flashes full beam.

Reactions: AdamInKent and Vertigo1