First post - joined the S1 owners club today.

kiwimeat

Reaction score
First post on this forum but I have lurked for a while before joining. I found this forum to be extremely useful for my pre-purchase research.

I took delivery this morning of a MY15 S1 Sportback in Vegas Yellow.

DSC02301 1

It is an ex-Audi Australia Car with 6800km on the clock. Less than a year old. It has the Exterior and Interior Quattro packs, plus rear parking sensors. Paid just over AUS$40K for it and got a tint chucked it, so it represents – to me at least – good value.

I'm coming from a MY10 S3 Sportback which had APR Stage 1 ECU, and a DSG tune.
So it could be considered at least in terms of power a downgrade.

So why did I buy it?

The sheer joy of driving the S1.

DSC02309 1

I loved my 2 test drives.
It is a little pocket rocket. Virtually no turbo lag, the manual gearbox means no DSG hesitation. Pulls hard in every gear.
Love the Drive Select function. Dynamic is really engaging.
The manual gearbox is very good, perhaps throw is a little long, but maybe a short-shifter will be available down the track.

I really like the integrated MMI system. My MY10 S3 only had the standard head unit radio/cd/aux-in with Bose speakers – integration with anything modern was expensive or painful. I had a Denison iPod adapter but it malfunctioned after 2 years and cost me a battery before I removed it. So nice to have Bluetooth streaming, navigation, etc. Although my S1 doesn't have the Bose system, the audio seems good enough.

Yeah it is a little small and impractical. I will probably miss the S3's boot at some stage, and I'm sure my 15 year old son won't want to sit in the back unless he really has to.
Why yellow? Not a fan of black, white, grey. I didn't like the two-tone cars with glossy black roof, it is Queensland after all. I like the bright yellow – maybe not the most appropriate colour for a man approaching 50 but at least no one who should known better will mistake it for a lesser A1 model. My last 4 cars were yellow, blue, red, red. So this one is yellow, again.

Only things I would have liked were the folding mirrors (might retrofit), convenience key, and perhaps the Bose system. Front parking sensors maybe, but it's a 4 metre car, shouldn't need them, same with a reversing camera.

I love the red highlights in the front LEDs.

DSC02303 1

And the twin deck Quattro spoiler.

DSC02306 1

Now if only the local weather would cooperate so I can take it for a drive. Damn storm season.

Last edited:
Reactions: andy68, ChrisG., THQuattro and 1 other person
Very nice, have fun :wink:

Reactions: kiwimeat
Thanks.
Well I've set a new record for me. It's been a whole week and the car has not been modified!
My previous S3 was remapped 3 days after delivery.

I'm trying to arrange a test drive of a car with a stage 1 tune. Keen to see what it does to the car not just in terms of power but handling. After my S3 the S1 feels like a livewire on the road.

Reactions: Jamesb123
Really nice car I'm 50 to and I've got one! age is only a number who care what anyone thinks.
Enjoy.

Reactions: Sandra, kiwimeat and Ian Whiffen
@kiwimeat Welcome to audi-sport.net. Lovely car. I hope you enjoy it very much. Enjoy the Forum. ;)

Really nice car I'm 50 to and I've got one! age is only a number who care what anyone thinks.
Enjoy.
Thanks. I'm 49 years young today.

I've never been one for the standard colours. Especially as here in Australia most cars are silver, white or black! At least the first 2 make sense in the climate. Black is just asking for extra solar input.
My wife does not have the same interest in quick cars but does at least like to be more engaged than a simple A-to-B appliance. So we both drive manuals (auto's dominate here) and less common coloured cars. Her's is a Dynamic Blue Mazda CX-3 Akari.

Hear hear lol
Cheers.

@kiwimeat Welcome to audi-sport.net. Lovely car. I hope you enjoy it very much. Enjoy the Forum. ;)
Thank you.
Given the comparatively few S1's on the road in Australia this forum is a very useful source of information and helped my decision making process.

Thanks. I'm 49 years young today.

I've never been one for the standard colours. Especially as here in Australia most cars are silver, white or black! At least the first 2 make sense in the climate. Black is just asking for extra solar input.
My wife does not have the same interest in quick cars but does at least like to be more engaged than a simple A-to-B appliance. So we both drive manuals (auto's dominate here) and less common coloured cars. Her's is a Dynamic Blue Mazda CX-3 Akari.

Cheers.

Thank you.
Given the comparatively few S1's on the road in Australia this forum is a very useful source of information and helped my decision making process.
Happy Birthday. :) x

Reactions: kiwimeat
Enjoy.
Youngster!
I've got an S1 and will be 69 in March!
It was as near as I could get to a "Lamborghini Moment" with my pension, as we needed to help our daughter buy a house!

Reactions: PastS1Owner and kiwimeat
WGO brilliant! your never to old hope I'm still buying fast cars at 69

Reactions: kiwimeat and Sandra