First Proper Clean !!

joedredd

2009 S4 just love it
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi all

Well after waiting for the right weather to do it after 3 1/2 hours I have completed the outside only. Now I am nowhere near the same league as some of you but I do like a nice clean car. What I want to know is how often I should clean the car to keep it in a reasonable state, also how often should I clay? This is the first time I have ever clayed and OMG I cannot believe the amount of muck that it removes, even with turning it over and re kneading. This was my cleaning regime that I have just carried out;

Spray wheels with AG wheel cleaner (not impressed so looking for an alternative)
Snow foamed car (still need to tweak this as was a bit runny bought from Juicy)
Rinsed car with pressure cleaner
2 bucket method
Rinsed car and dried with MF towel
Meg clay and detailer (very impressed with this product)
AG resin polish
AG extra protection sealant
AB tyre dresser
AG fast glass

Now I don't have a DA so all was done by hand and the car looks really good. Now being silver in colour I cant get that real proper "popping look" that you can get, is this due to the products or my methods? Looking for advice and suggestion to the ongoing cleaning regime, and what I should do for the next clean.

Thanks
George

I like Bilberry wheel cleaner, or to get the really stubborn stuff use IronX.

George we would like some pics of your hard work please. :) x

Not much of a photographer, but seeing as you asked nicely. I will upload later as just going out. Apologies on quality as taken on my iphone4.

doing it quickly;

027403AB-D4DD-4151-9CD2-9C9649983125_zps29wqwjov.jpg

C45A96A0-3A01-44B9-B260-2C5255C577A9_zpswazqsxlq.jpg

2C0E5D5C-2C22-4086-A0FF-AE7F7354CA03_zpsnosui2z6.jpg

F9B50F18-3884-492A-A40B-45A67547F49E_zpsfysoczk4.jpg

685F4993-8560-437A-9DC3-00FE04D0C06D_zpsmixgq2eq.jpg

Hope to see some good advice when I return later ;)

The car looks great George. Thanks for pics :) x

Reactions: joedredd
Cars looking great mate, amazing how well the paint looks after a clay.
Personally I clay twice a year, spring and just before winter.
Personally I'd recommend Werkstat acrylic kit for your car. The finish you get using it is immense.
http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/werkstat-acrylic-kit-cat1.html
After claying if u used the werkstat prime u will be surprised what the clay leaves behind
3 coats of werkstat jett after that.
Then werkstat glos after every wash.
I try to wash the car every week or second week.
As for the wheel cleaner I'm using Autobrite very cherry wheel cleaner. Very well priced with fantastic dilution to make it last ages.
Hope this helps

Robbie

Last edited:
^ Beat me to it on the werkstat acrylic recommend Robbie lol

Wheel cleaner? I use CarPro IronX every six months. After the iron x I always seal the wheels with 3 coats of Planet Polish Wheel Seal & Shine. Then it's just a matter of shampooing the wheels as you would the car :thumbs up:

Reactions: joedredd and RobbieWebs
Looks like a top job

I'm also a fan of the bilberry wheel cleaner. Just adjust the dilution depending on how much dirt is baked in.

I would recommend a good wax just to finish of. Autoglym EGP is good but I find it doesn't last very long as far as beading goes.

I'm using Colinite 915 at the moment but can sometimes be a bit of a mare if it's left too long. I would recommend Chemical Guys Petes 53 signature. Gives a lovely gloss and has decent longevity and is reasonably priced.

Keep up the good work :icon thumright:

+1 for Bilberry. I use Dragons Breath iron fallout remover if they're particularly bad, same as Iron x basically.

Collinite 476s is my wax of choice, VFM, looks great and last for 6+ months.

^ Beat me to it on the werkstat acrylic recommend Robbie lol

Wheel cleaner? I use CarPro IronX every six months. After the iron x I always seal the wheels with 3 coats of Planet Polish Wheel Seal & Shine. Then it's just a matter of shampooing the wheels as you would the car :thumbs up:

that stuff is the business puts dearer stuff to shame like carpro dlux, if i was still a reseller I would stock that in buckets.
as in loads of it not actually in buckets lol

Thanks for all the responses and suggestions. :icon thumright:

Looks like Werksat gets a good recommendation, as well as the Collinite. AB cherry wheel cleaner is def on my list, as really like thier tyre dressing stuff 2 squirts and was enough for the whole tyre.

Cars looking great mate, amazing how well the paint looks after a clay.
Personally I clay twice a year, spring and just before winter.
Personally I'd recommend Werkstat acrylic kit for your car. The finish you get using it is immense.
http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/werkstat-acrylic-kit-cat1.html
After claying if u used the werkstat prime u will be surprised what the clay leaves behind
3 coats of werkstat jett after that.
Then werkstat glos after every wash.
I try to wash the car every week or second week.
As for the wheel cleaner I'm using Autobrite very cherry wheel cleaner. Very well priced with fantastic dilution to make it last ages.
Hope this helps

Robbie

Thanks for the comment Robbie. How long would that kit last (if used every 2-3 weeks)? Really considering this.

Thanks for the comment Robbie. How long would that kit last (if used every 2-3 weeks)? Really considering this.
The bottles of werkstat jett & glos should last you about 18 months + on that type of usage buddy

Rather than buying the kit I would buy it separate form Polished Bliss and use your own applicators and MF towels

This is what I would recommend buying (which I have)

Werkstat Prime Strong
http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/werkstat-prime-strong.html

Werkstat Jett acrylic
http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/werkstat-acrylic-jett-trigger.html

Werkstat Glos acrylic
http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/werkstat-acrylic-glos.html

Reactions: RobbieWebs
As Bristle Hound said above mate
Prime will last you an eternity.
I applied 3 coats of jett first then add 1 coat every month or so.
The glos after every wash.
You will go through the glos more but it's the cheaper out the 3.
Only thing to worry about is, is it going to be in stock when you reorder it as it's that's popular lol

Car looks great but I cant believe you use a polish (abrasive) on your car, it doesn't look as though it needs it!

Car looks great but I cant believe you use a polish (abrasive) on your car, it doesn't look as though it needs it!

Sorry steeve, but I am from the old skool world of car cleaning!! Don't worry though I am slowly catching up you youngsters with these new methods ;)