First service-2.0FSI

johnmv55

Reaction score
First service-19,000 miles, Asked them to also check "noise like something is loose in boot over bumpy roads" "Noisy door/window seals when weather dry" " fuel consumption not as good as it was and also misses a beat when idleing" so £320 lighter and with none of the above fixed I returned straight away, got the tech to stick his head underneath whilst I moved the rear up&down so he could hear the rear shocks........he re-appeared from the garage and said "there's a modified set of rear shocks for these sir, Iv'e ordered you a set" (which I knew about) so I still have squeeky door seals, Yesterday I removed the spark plugs, what a mess! went straight back down to the dealer with the plugs who gave me a new set and said "this is a common fault with the FSI engine sir" well if it's common why didn't YOU check them?they reckon it's caused by not using Optimax.

Annoyed from Chester, and getting more and more p****d off with Audi by the minute, I don't think an Alfa would have this much trouble!

[ QUOTE ]
Annoyed from Chester, and getting more and more p****d off with Audi by the minute, I don't think an Alfa would have this much trouble!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats cos 50/52 weeks it's in the dealership - so it should be perfect for those 2 weeks that you do have it!!!

Seriously though, I have been somewhat unimpressed with Audi / Dealer Customer service so far, but I have now found a dealer who seems prepared to look after me, even though the car was not bought through them..... time will tell.

It's a shame that such a good brand can be let down by a dealer network that seems on the mostpart to be lacking in finesse.

Yep, shame how the std'd are slipping, my friend has just swopped to "Volvo" hhmm, says the customer aftersales service is a pain in the ****, they keep ringing him and asking if the service was Ok etc, how could they improve, they even ordered a wrong colour trim piece, and when the correct one came in actually fitted it at his home to save him the inconvenience !! he is VERY impressed with them after Audi.

The Audi dealer I use is very good and I have no complaints at all. I have been using the same dealer for many years. I had my car serviced on Wednesday and yesterday they rang to make sure everything was OK and that I was satisfied with the standard of service and care I had received.

I now work part-time for B+Q and our store has a very good reputation locally and within B+Q for the level of customer service we provide. A lot of it is down to have an excellent store manager and we are always getting visits from staff from other stores for them to see and experience how it should be done.

Perhaps some of the staff from poorer Audi dealers should be made to visit the better dealers to see how it should be done.

1) Noisy door/window seals when weather dry" - have they not attempted to fix this at all?

2) " fuel consumption not as good as it was and also misses a beat when idleing" - was this put down to the plugs or have they attempted to fix it?

3) £320 - was this the service charge or did you have anything else done, seems a lot to me. Did you have the brake fluid changed at the same time?

4) "this is a common fault with the FSI engine sir" - what is the fault - dirty plugs???? Audi Uk customer services told me there is no harm using normal unleaded! I quote their reply :

"For the best performance of this model, 98 RON rated fuel is recommended. 95 RON or 97 RON can be used but it is possible that you will experience a loss of performance but no damage will be caused to the car by regularly filling up with lower grade fuels. There will also be no harm caused by mixing the grades of fuel in one tank.

With regard to your concerns about the exhaust valve seats, I can confirm that it is not possible to cause engine damage by using lower grade fuels. Audi would not advise of their acceptability of 95 RON fuel if this were the case. "

My first service was £320 ish.

£145 labour, 5 litres of long life oil at £14.99 PER LITRE, pollen filter £17, oil filter £10, number plate bulb £19 fitted!!!!!

All plus VAT

Lovely.

Not looking forward to the major service.

Cetainly sounds expensive to me. I know mine is a 2.0 TDI and not an FSI but my first servce was £184.25 This was made up as follows:
Labour 114.40 (including recoding door locking)
screen wash 3.12
oil filter 4.70
filter 8.69
plug 0.90
long life oil 24.99
total 156.80
vat 27.44
total 184.24

Both the FSI and TDI have the first AVS service time listed by Audi as 1.10 hours and the oil is listed as 4.5 litres for the FSI and 4.3 litres for the TDI and the oil filter is listed as £4.70 for both.

The garage told me the £145 labour was a fixed rate for that service.

I queried the oil as I knew it held 4.5 litres, he said "the oil is old by the litre, not parts of"

Wonder what they do with all the 1/2 litres?

[ QUOTE ]
1) Noisy door/window seals when weather dry" - have they not attempted to fix this at all?

2) " fuel consumption not as good as it was and also misses a beat when idleing" - was this put down to the plugs or have they attempted to fix it?

3) £320 - was this the service charge or did you have anything else done, seems a lot to me. Did you have the brake fluid changed at the same time?

4) "this is a common fault with the FSI engine sir" - what is the fault - dirty plugs???? Audi Uk customer services told me there is no harm using normal unleaded! I quote their reply :

"For the best performance of this model, 98 RON rated fuel is recommended. 95 RON or 97 RON can be used but it is possible that you will experience a loss of performance but no damage will be caused to the car by regularly filling up with lower grade fuels. There will also be no harm caused by mixing the grades of fuel in one tank.

With regard to your concerns about the exhaust valve seats, I can confirm that it is not possible to cause engine damage by using lower grade fuels. Audi would not advise of their acceptability of 95 RON fuel if this were the case. "

[/ QUOTE ]

1/ They lubricated the seals, they were actually quiet for the month or so before the service, and squeeky after the service.

2/ They NEVER attempted to fix the miss or poorer fuel consumption, just said "no faults stored nad block readings OK" I took the plugs out myself the following day and found them quite "lumpy" with whiteish carbon, on one the carbon virtually spanning the gap from the centre electrode from the outer one, they're odd plugs, look like a normal Platinum but have three electrodes, two of which are quite far away from the centre one and I'm not sure why? does'nt look as if it is designed to spark to these outer two, most odd, maybe something to do with the "FSI" burning? I have never seen anything like it before on bikes, race cars etc, including a Ferrari F40LM, and numerous full factory Porsche 911GT2 race cars that I used to engineer.

3/ Yep, they also changed the brake fluid, would have done that myself except I was unsure if I needed it to be plugged in to the Audi computer for any of the brake assist/traction/ type stuff.

4/ They reckon they have been told it's common on FSI's when used with cheaper petrol (the wife doesn't understand the added cost of Optimax is reflected in MPG) it's all to do with Sulphur content according to them, not sure if sulpher is high or low with Optimax, Told me to put the plugs in, run two tankfulls of Optimax then return the car for another set of plugs? Personally I wonder what the highish oil consumption when the engine is running in does to the engine/ plugs/ lambda sensors, I know for a fact Lambda's do not like oil.

I was also p****d off that they used Shell Helix oil, I have probably 3 litres remaining of Castrol SLX sitting in the garage from when it was using oil, they reckon they will mix but I don't like doing that

They are ordering the rear shocks and say they will have another look at the door/window seals,

Was your service down to miles (19K) or the 2 yrs being up?

Does the brake fluid have to be changed then or can it go longer?

I asked Audi UK about what the oil consumption meant before ordering, their email reply:

"This model can use up to 0.5 litre of oil per 1000kms as a maximum value, so a figure somewhere between zero and this, would be regarded as normal consumption. The burning of oil will not lead to catalyst damage and the catalyst will not suffer as a result of the oil consumption as our engines are designed to consume a reasonable amount of oil as detailed above. The cost of which is offset by the costs of servicing and savings on fuel consumption."

Service was 18000 miles and I suppose the 2 year timer had the advantage there, the counter said 6 days to go when the service was performed, with my last Audi A3 Iwould get it serviced and when I collected it I would normally get something along the lines of "we have replaced the reversing light switch and also done an upgrade of xxxxx as it may give you problems in the future" with this one I would be better doing it myself, god knows how people manage who have little or no mechanical capability and have to trust all to the dealer........

The time the dealer is allowed for carrying out the service is fixed by Audi at 1.10 hours but the actual cost of the labour is down to the them. Some dealers charge a higher hourly rate than others, hence the wide variations in the labour element of the service.