Fiscon Basic still compatible with current Androids?

GSB1

Reaction score
Website
www.shootpetrol.co.uk
Has anyone a Kufatec Fiscon Basic Bluetooth unit that successfully reads the phone book or at least the recent calls list on a recent Android phone (Android 11)?

This won't work on my Samsung S20+ or even an old S8 on Android 9. Otherwise works OK.

Kufatec say they don't know of such problem and cannot guarantee that if I send my unit to Germany for a firmware update that it will be resolved.

All their other support responses sound like they are from 2014 so I am not confident.

Knowing if my unit has an obscure fault or if none of these are compatible (and Kufatec have their head in the sand) would be good to figure out.

Thanks
G.

Not sure if this is still up to date with their v2 hardware revision. They say that their products use the Parrot Bluetooth chipset CK5050+. According to the user manual, it's a chip from 2008, which is before BT 4.0 was released (2010). The user manual states that it's BT 2.0 compliant, which at this point is laughable.

Music quality would be quite bad compared to BT 4.0+ (or AUX), but at least you'll have control over the songs through your RNS-E unit (if you choose to get the basic plus or I believe pro version. Be sure to check if it's compatible with your car!).

I would actually suggest getting the AMI, Bluetooth AMI dongle (BT 4.X and 5.0 is available), and phone interface module including the cables (interface and AMI). With some good eBay sourcing for the modules themselves, you'll have all stuff for the same price. However, I don't know if a phone can connect to both the interface module (Bluetooth hands-free) and the Bluetooth AMI dongle.

TLDR;
Bluetooth is backward compatible, modern phones will connect without issues. On some phones (especially Xiaomi), you might have to enable "show Bluetooth devices without names".

Edit:
I now re-read your post and I misinterpreted it. Seems like you already have the Fiscon module. You can update the firmware with their android app here.
Be sure to navigate to the phone's address book, because the RNS-E has two address books, one that's from the unit itself and the other one is from your phone. This is how I thought that the original interface module didn't work with my phone. Make sure to enable "Phone calls" and "Contact sharing" on your phone in the Bluetooth settings (see attachment).

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-06-12-15-26-54-700_com.android.settings.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-06-12-15-26-54-700_com.android.settings.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 67
  • Screenshot_2021-06-12-15-27-41-060_com.android.settings.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-06-12-15-27-41-060_com.android.settings.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Thanks for trying to help, appreciate it.

The firmware update file on that link is older (2012) than the build date on my Fiscon (2013) and also the BT File Transfer tool they link to (by Medeival - no pun) is very outdated and itself errors on launch on any contemporary Android.

You do have me thinking though. If there is such an app as a Bluetooth 2 emulator or some such, it might be worth a shot. I can't see one, but food for thought.

The issue is so annoying as if you dial from the phone or receive a call the address book name shows on the DIS. But the recent calla and address book will not show to allow a.handsfree dial via the steering wheel controls.

The lack of other response perhaps shows these are considered obsolete. A fair few must have been fitted in 8P A3s.

I was tempted to get one, but didn't do it because it's very expensive. I've read somewhere that someone had issues with the iphone 4s and eventually swapped the module for an original one (which by the way also has a much better microphone, but I've seen that Fiscon also has the oem style microphone).

I'd suggest you to send an email directly to Fiscon.
In the meanwhile, if possible, dig up an old android phone/tablet running an older android release or try it from a laptop with bluetooth (since Fiscon mentions that you can use a laptop as well).

Oh, I read the instructions and you just need to initiate a file transfer, no need for special tools/apps. The only thing you should check before doing this update is to check the current version. Kufatec shows that the modules have v2.15 and v2.20 installed, but it could be different.

Last edited:
I have contacted Kufatec, but I am sure they are giving me responses from a 2013 support script. Asking me to try very outdated BT connection apps that don't even run etc. They won't commit to a firmware update fixing it, which makes me think they have not tested any recent phones.

I have contacted Kufatec, but I am sure they are giving me responses from a 2013 support script. Asking me to try very outdated BT connection apps that don't even run etc. They won't commit to a firmware update fixing it, which makes me think they have not tested any recent phones.
Sorry for rehashing the topic, but I have the same problem with the KF ver. plus quadlock. Have you solved your BT connection problem with your phone? Did you remove the unit from the cart and replace it with something else?